Net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
How long will hay stay good when wrapped with a generous wrapping of net. Any one have any experiance with this. Thinking of maybe buying a baler with net wrap instead of building hay barns.

We purchase several semi-loads of hay every year. We only purchase net wrapped bales. Net wrap keeps the hay more compact, helps to shed water from rain, and partially prevent sun from degrading hay (as opposed to several "strings" holding the bale together.

BC":m35gv6sa said:
Net wrap does not replace a barn for long term storage.

True! Barn storage is ideal for any type of hay. However, some people don't have or can't afford a hay barn. Anyway, in our own program we have had good luck with net wrap as opposed to string tie.

We store our small squares in hay barn. Large squares outside under a hay tarp. Rounds outside end on end touching. We buy a year's supply of hay at a time. Can't afford more than one year's supply... ;-)

JD, you need to do a little research on this. I think you're a level headed fellow and you probably will.

Here's what I've found if your interested.

1) The cost of the net wrap material is about $300/roll (Vermeer and JD dealer - $289.00)
2) Cost of adding net wrap to the baler is about $4300.00 (Vermeer dealer)
3) Depending on the bale size and number of wraps of net, you will only be able to wrap about 100 bales (maximum) per roll of net
4) Doing the math, that adds a minumum of $3.00 to the cost of the bale.
5) Even the custom balers pass this additional cost ($3 to $10/bale) on to the buyer.

And here's an exerpt from one of the web sites presented above.

"Bale wrapping has some influence
on storage losses of large round bales
stored outside. A Missouri study
showed weathering losses increased as
the spacing between the twine on bales
increased from 2 to 8 inches. However,
wrapping bales with twine spaced
closely together increases costs because
more twine is used and more time is
required for wrapping.

Most studies have shown net wrap
to be slightly better than twine in
preventing storage losses. Producers
who use net wrap have also indicated
that they can wrap a bale with only two
to three
revolutions and produce more
bales per hour than with twine. Net
wrap has the additional advantage of
stabilizing bales better than twine, thus
making bale handling and storage
easier, but it also increases cost."

Check this out for yourself, JD. There are folks here who have vested interests in selling you something that make it sound like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and may even promise you they can save you a bunch of money. But you will probably have to pick the equipment up in East Jesus, Maine.

The only thing that net wrap offers over twine wrap is speed and that is a biggey as far as I'm concerned. With my old equipment it takes more than a minute to tie the bale with twine. The same could be done in a few seconds with net wrap.

Have a good one. :D

Net wrap is good. You'll be glad you got it. Net wrapped Coastal hay seals out rain much better than string wrapped. You only lose an inch or less on the top and sides if stored outside. This alone should repay the additional material cost for the wrap.

It's also much neater and cleaner to handle the bales. No stray strings get knocked off the edges and run over by the tractor tires and no loose hay drops off on the ground.

It's much easier to strip it all off the bales when feeding and know you got it all.

I only have one complaint about net wrap. When the hay is coated with ice or frozen snow it's a lot harder to get off then string.

Earl Thigpen":1hmd2p3a said:
JD, you need to do a little research on this. I think you're a level headed fellow and you probably will.

1) The cost of the net wrap material is about $300/roll (Vermeer and JD dealer - $289.00)
3) Depending on the bale size and number of wraps of net, you will only be able to wrap about 100 bales (maximum) per roll of net
5) Even the custom balers pass this additional cost ($3 to $10/bale) on to the buyer.

required for wrapping.

to three

Check this out for yourself, JD. There are folks here who have vested interests in selling you something that make it sound like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and may even promise you they can save you a bunch of money. But you will probably have to pick the equipment up in East Jesus, Maine.

The only thing that net wrap offers over twine wrap is speed and that is a biggey as far as I'm concerned. With my old equipment it takes more than a minute to tie the bale with twine. The same could be done in a few seconds with net wrap.

Around here John Deere and Vermeer sell it from $195 to $220 per roll.

JMichal":13q4eykn said:
Earl Thigpen":13q4eykn said:

required for wrapping.

to three

Around here John Deere and Vermeer sell it from $195 to $220 per roll.

I suspected it could be bought cheaper but I didn't want to put something down in writing that was just guess work. The price of $289/roll was quoted from a Vermeer dealer in Sealy, Texas and the JD dealer in Shiner, Texas quoted over $300. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight and I don't disagree with your numbers. Just stating what I found.

Have a good one.

net wrap doesn't work real well if the bales are loose. it becomes a nightmare. tighter the bale the better.

gabby":1fh0ioph said:
Maybe the higher price wrap was for 5 foot balers?

Very good point, Gabby. I was pricing a 605M Vermeer (big baler). Same for the JD (big baler) but I don't remember the model number for the JD.

I wouldn't surprise me that in a couple of years the price would come down significantly as third party vendors come on line with the net.

Don't lay it down where blackberries grow either.........

When the vines grow in the wrap, you'll pick up about a 1/2 bale when you go to feed too.

dun":29c37vhw said:
I only have one complaint about net wrap. When the hay is coated with ice or frozen snow it's a lot harder to get off then string.

Been there done that....

around here we are having a hard time getting the net wrap, everyone is sold out, cuz hay is everywhere...called ag power yesterday mornin, said they had some, went to town later on that day....they didnt have the right kind even though they had absolutly told me they did....kinda chapped me to go into town and have that happen...anyhow called genetic seed company, they had the "generic" kind same 64 inch by 7000 ft size for $210.00 said he cant keep it in stock, that either this last april, or the next april (i cant remember which) there wont be any made in USA it will all come from overseas. dont know how it will effect any thing.. just glad i found some yesterday, hay is rolling up just fine.

probably could find some in ga. don't really need net wrap when it doesn't rain :(

Latest posts