net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
Just wondering if the net wrap is worth the time and expense it requires? How difficult are the bales to feed? Thanks

I don't like getting off of the tractor in 10 degree weather to cut it off myself. But, if it's good hay then it should be rolled tight enough to cut it off before you go in the field. I don't think that it holds the bale in a round shape any better than twine but it does hold the fine leaves in on the Alfala Hay. Just my opinion, try a few rolls you might like it.

There is considerably less waste with net wrap than string wrapped. If you keep the hay over an extra year or two, the waste increases dramatically.

stocky":2aoo3h4w said:
There is considerably less waste with net wrap than string wrapped. If you keep the hay over an extra year or two, the waste increases dramatically.

We put up about 500 round bales (4.5ft'ers) every year that are wrapped individually. Had the plastic twine on them the first couple years, what a hastle, missing strings, etc, went to net wrap what an AWESOME turn around. The take-off time is cut at least in half, dont miss anything, I would say go for it!

With the net there is economy on time, the diesel, and also on the wear of the machinery. Just with saved time, I can make at least 150 bales more per days. There is a large saving in time when you remove the net instead of the twine. The difference in price, you recover it by these economy. And no twines rolled up in the bearings. The last year I made approximately 8000 bales all with net. Never I will use twine in the future.

It is sure a lot easier to get all the wrap off. No missed twine. Especially if you feed in the dark. On the down side I have hear complaints from those living in cold climates that if the bales freeze hard you have a difficult time getting the wrap off.
Dave

I prefer net wrap to twine. I have my hay custom harvested and I am glad my baler net wraps. Saves him time, hay keeps and transports better and easier to get off than string. Still find string in the field and I haven't used it in 5 years.

Dave, there are two things that will happen when the net wrapped bales get wet and then freeze. First, they will break the tail lights out of your pickup, if you dont have a flat bed and second you have to break the ice with an axe to get the net off. It is alot of trouble, but net wrap is still the way to go. Another thing you can do when the bale is wet and frozen solid or covered with ice is put the bale out like it is without a feeder and the cows will eat the entire bale and leave the frozen net ring standing. Wait until it thaws and go pick up the net. After a long cold spell with frozen bales, I have had 20 or 30 of the rings standing in the field before they thawed out. They also make nice little barns for the calves to lay in on cold nights

It costs me about a buck per bale for the JD netwrap. I have a 4x5 baler and I put two wraps on my bales.

The bales are faster to bale, keep their shape better and repel water better.

Latest posts