Nelson vs Maximus vs Gulf Ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

Vetrock

Reaction score
Those are my choices. Each is $2-3 more per bag than the other. From what I have learned Nelson is considered worth the money vs Gulf. What about Maximus? I can't find any reports on it. I'm in Arkansas. Thanks in advance.

"Maximus is a tetraploid annual ryegrass from Barenbrug. Maximus is medium maturity variety with good winter growth and high dry matter production. Maximus exhibits erect growth habit with large leaves."

The tetraploids have advantages on the forage side versus gulf. The seeds of a tetraploid are bigger and will need the seeding rate recommended versus the lower rate for gulf. Gulf is what they harvested, cleaned and put in the bag. You don't really know. If you are going to fertilize and manage well, consider the tetraploids.

If you are utilizing the ryegrass the way you should to get the most out of it, you don't worry about reseeding. Heavy grazing pressure or haying will suppress seed reproduction, but give you more production from the grass.

BC":sv36834l said:
If you are utilizing the ryegrass the way you should to get the most out of it, you don't worry about reseeding. Heavy grazing pressure or haying will suppress seed reproduction, but give you more production from the grass.

:cboy:
Bc how should I utilize my rygrass?
Most of the ryegrass we plant is broadcast in pasture that is brushy and rocky. Hunting pasture if you will. No cows in it all winter so it gives good late winter / early spring grazing. I've found gulf to be better than the tetraploids. Reseeding is a big plus. In fact after a few years you can count on a good volunteer stand.
On worked , fertilized ground. Sure tetraploids would be my choice..... well if I couldn't get oats.

callmefence":3kfh78ds said:
BC":3kfh78ds said:

:cboy:
Bc how should I utilize my rygrass?
Most of the ryegrass we plant is broadcast in pasture that is brushy and rocky. Hunting pasture if you will. No cows in it all winter so it gives good late winter / early spring grazing. I've found gulf to be better than the tetraploids. Reseeding is a big plus. In fact after a few years you can count on a good volunteer stand.
On worked , fertilized ground. Sure tetraploids would be my choice..... well if I couldn't get oats.
Every situation is different. I see people pull off of ryegrass to let it go to seed. In East Texas that is late spring before our summer grasses take over. Most of us are spring calvers and this is when cows are trying to rebreed and need the highest quality nutrition. I say graze it off, don't worry about reseeding and last but not least get the ryegrass off so it does not compete with your summer grass. I have seen ryegrass shade out and kill Bermuda because it smothered it out.

I'm doing a little of both. One larger pasture on higher ground with oats and Rye grass for grazing and baling. One smaller pasture along the creek where I am trying to get some rye grass to volunteer. Its stays damp and has some rocks so not easy to bale.
I planted gulf in it in 2016 and it reseeded very well and I had a nice stand in 2017. The high ground pasture had a tetraploid put in the mix last year. Thats why I was curious if it would reseed.

Latest posts