Neighbors dog attack my cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I had an experience about 3 months ago that shows what a problem this. A neighbor down the road called me and said that her dog (pit bull) had gotten loose and chased my cows. Would I please go check them. I found my Angus bull limping badly, 2 calves and a cow with cuts on the hindquarters. I have a pygmy goat that runs with herd and she had half her face bitten away. After penning everything up , I approached the neighbor, who had caught the dog and told him that he could call the cops or I would. He called the cops and when they arrived they called in animal control who picked up the dog. I asked what would happen and was told that they would hold dog for 10 days then the owners could pick it up for $75. I had the vet out for some treatment but had to wind up bringing my bull to his office where he is equipped with a hydraulic chute to lay him down and treat him. Animals all healed, including goat, and the neighbors paid a $400 vet bill. BUT, get this. They are keeping this dog who is known by neighbors to be mean and hard to control and has tasted blood in the house with a 7 MONTH OLD BABY!!! This is what I can't understand about some people. They are NUTS!
If I had shot the dog , I could have been prosecuted and possibly sued, but I did warn them that if I find him in my pasture again he may never be seen again.

bbirder":l0l1hquk said:
but I did warn them that if I find him in my pasture again he may never be seen again.

That would violate one of the "S's". If you want to use this approach, probably better than no one knows what your doing. Ofcourse I've never done that, I'm just saying.....

I'm sorry this happened Bill. I personally am not a fan of shooting the dog. Especially as you have said they were apologetic and willing to pay vet bills. You have to judge your neighbor here regarding the next step. If you feel they will be irresponsible and let this happen again you need to file a report with the animal control to protect yourself if you find the dog in with your cattle and need to put him down to protect them. I am in awe myself that anyone would let their dog go loose on someone elses farm with no leash or anything. Extremely dumb move on their part for sure even if it was a calm obedient dog, and this was obviously not. I would make it clear to the neighbor that I am worried about the dog coming back and ask what their plans are for the dog. This discussion would lead me to decide if I needed to file an animal control report. If it were my dog I would tell you I cannot keep a dog that will bother much less attack your animals. If it happens again the dog goes down by my hand.

That dog should have never got out of the barn without a lead injection. That dog is going to kill livestock if not yours someone else's. The dog has crossed a line that can't be undone. He went in a frenzy in your barn on several animals, let him get to running with two or three of his buddies. It doesn't matter if it is a Yorkie and a Beagle he is the pack leader they will kill for the shear pleasure.

Had someone Come over with their dog awhile back without asking. Then they let the dog out without asking. That dog ducked under the Hotwire thats set at calf nose height and tail got the full dose of juice. That dog took off thru fences and wasn't found for 3 weeks 2 miles away.most everyone around here understands if the dog becomes an issue it will not be an issue for long but it still doesn't get talked about when it does happen

I have have few dogs from ABs, to Pits, to BMC, Cat, ect. All dogs with high drive for working. I can understand shooting a dog in the act because its the only way to get control of the situation. Shooting the dog after the fact only punishes the dog for having a stupid owner. Go at the owner... Not the dog or you havent accomplished any thing. The idiot owner will get another dog and the cycle starts over again.

I must be one of the few that have bull dogs. If you let your dog out around me on my property were going to have a dog fight.

I agree what kind of people bring a dog to someone else property and let them loose. I would have shot it. And I love dogs.

You also need to file a report on this. If only for future reference.

If your neighbor fell on severe hard times and didn't have enough food to feed his family, would you have given them that cow? I guess it depends on how you handle it and what this could do for your future as neighbors. Sometimes stuff happens and there is no real way to say your sorry. Do you think your neighbor feels bad? Can you afford to let it go?

1) No dogs welcome except your own. Post it.
2) Never allow your dog to leave your side or stay in the truck.

It could even be what you both look back at as one reason you're still good neighbors years from now. :(

Last night a 3 year old that was visiting down the road was taken in a heliochopter to Houston because a German shepherd attacked him . The dog was chained but it broke the collar to attack the kid . Thats the 3rd time in 2 weeks the dog has been loose . I saw him in my pasture 3 days ago . The dog Won't be around long if the sheriff gives him back .

Who could blame you if you did get rid of the German shepherd. I wouldn't who is going to pay for all the bills that family is going in incur because of this??? A stat flight is very expensive.

JSCATTLE":1dtfx0o7 said:
Last night a 3 year old that was visiting down the road was taken in a heliochopter to Houston because a German shepherd attacked him . The dog was chained but it broke the collar to attack the kid . Thats the 3rd time in 2 weeks the dog has been loose . I saw him in my pasture 3 days ago . The dog Won't be around long if the sheriff gives him back .
If they had to chopper her out, she must have gotten chewed up pretty bad. That's sad!

Yes it was pretty bad . The boy had gashes in his face broken ribs and a broken arm . I'm not sure if the dog is still at the vets or not . But my kids play in the yard and I'm not takin any chances .

JSCATTLE":aagohdfj said:
Yes it was pretty bad . The boy had gashes in his face broken ribs and a broken arm . I'm not sure if the dog is still at the vets or not . But my kids play in the yard and I'm not takin any chances .

Get you some Federal Flitecontrol double aught it will put all 9 pellets in a baseball cap at 50 yards.
Then use quick attach bucket.

Haven't heard from you lately Bill, how are the heifers doing? How has it gone with your neighbors, have they made restitution yet??

Leigh,
haven't seen the dog owners since the day it happened, or the dog for that matter.
Vet told me to keep an eye on them ,I did they are all ok, I did have to cull a cow that had a bad udder, besides that the other cows are fine and my Heifer is growing good.
Its hard to know if the dog did any damage, I did spend a few bucks for la 200 they vet told me to buy, besides that no more problems, just a good lesson, dogs on a leash for now on.

Bill

Caustic Burno":1piwehu3 said:
JSCATTLE":1piwehu3 said:

Get you some Federal Flitecontrol double aught it will put all 9 pellets in a baseball cap at 50 yards.
Then use quick attach bucket.

It's best to keep a pre-dug hole ready at all times. Doesn't look too good when neighbors are driving around looking for their dog and they see you frantically digging away!

Glad to hear the cows are doing okay. That neighbor should be concerned enough to check on your cows and help pay the vet bills.

Ah good times with neighbor's dogs. I have 8 dog graves out in the woods that doesnt belong to me....And I was responsible for their deaths. I have a 9th pre-dug hole waiting for that golden lab mutt.

Latest posts