Need to ask a question

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy314

Reaction score
I am new to the cattle game, and I mean NEW! :D
I was wondering a couple things. I reacently bought two cow calf pairs, and a 18 month angus bull. I paid $3400 for the lot, and I am in the learning stage now. My first question is when do I start weining my calves, and/or when should I sell.
Next, How does the sale barn process work.
I come from a farming background, but all I have ever done in row crop. My grandpa sold his cows back in the early 80's before I was old enough to learn anything, so here I am trying it myself.

Thats all for now. Thanks :)

A rule of thumb for weaning would be 205 days. Some will wean sooner, some later. This will depend on things like availability and quality of pasture, market price of cattle and the physical condition of your cows.

Weaning on the truck means you take them right off the cow and ship to the auction. Another way is to keep them after weaning and background them. This means to keep them and feed them for a while, maybe 40 days or so to get them ready for the feedlot. Others can help you more here.

You can keep them for an extended period and feed them yourself if you want to finish them for slaughter.

When you sell at auction, take them to the sale barn and they will check them in. When their turn comes they will be run in the ring and auctioned 'sold' to the highest bidder. Buyers are sitting there and bidding against each other to buy cattle.
You will receive payment for what they sell for less commission or any other expenses charged by the auction barn.
Go to an auction on sale day if you can and watch what goes on. It may be a little confusing at first, but you will begin to understand.

Go to your ag extension office and tell them you want material on beef cattle production. Also do a search on here for 'books'. Reading will give you a better foundation. You will learn a lot and it will also help you to be able to ask specific questions.

Best of luck to you.

I usually wean at 6-7 months, they are kept for about a month in a barn right next to pasture and fed grain before they are sold. I f you are planinng on building your herd you may want to keep the heifers ( if you have any) Just make sure you keep them from the bull until they are about 15 months old .I'm also assuming that your bull is not related to your cows.

Welcome aboard. This is the place if your looking for info, lots of good folks who are willing to try and help. I try to wean at about 6-7 months depending on my schedule and how the calves are doing. But I only have a handfull also.JHH

Welcome...alot of great information here from knowledgable folks. Sounds like you are off to a good start...a few questions; have the cows been bred back already, and why the bull with only two cows. The reason I'm asking is winter is comming and I don't know how hard they are in your part of the country...need to feed the bull all winter and he will only work twice in the spring unless you get some more females. A bull can handle upwards of twenty cows each season and will be eating twentyfive plus pounds of groceries every day...is the feed worth two cows....I'd sell the bull or buy alot more cows.
IMO I'd get a good mentor to help you along, sure that there are a few old fellas in your area that would be more than happy to give you a hand, ask around.
Good luck to you... :lol: DMc

I purchaced the bull for two reasons. First is to make sure that my cows are going to be bread back, second I got the bull for what I think is cheap, $1000. I may be wrong, but I am going to sell him in the spring when everybody around here is looking for bulls. I should make at least $2000-2500 from the bull alone, $1200 for the cows bread back, and $5-600 for the calves. I don't know if the choice, or my estamates is correct, but risk is part of it I guess. ;-) As far as the question about our winters. It can get extreamly cold here, or be extreamly mild. We have had winters here like northern texas, and northern Minnesota. The weather patterns, and the almanac suggest it will be a mild winter, but the old timers are saying it will be a bad one. :eek:
I thank you all for the info.

cowboy314":32mssjw8 said:
I purchaced the bull for two reasons. First is to make sure that my cows are going to be bread back, second I got the bull for what I think is cheap, $1000. I may be wrong, but I am going to sell him in the spring when everybody around here is looking for bulls. I should make at least $2000-2500 from the bull alone, $1200 for the cows bread back, and $5-600 for the calves. I don't know if the choice, or my estamates is correct, but risk is part of it I guess. ;-) As far as the question about our winters. It can get extreamly cold here, or be extreamly mild. We have had winters here like northern texas, and northern Minnesota. The weather patterns, and the almanac suggest it will be a mild winter, but the old timers are saying it will be a bad one. :eek:
I thank you all for the info.

Must be a tremendous bull to get $3000-$3500 for him. Most registered bulls except at special sales run in the $2500 and less range.

dun

you wont get that much back from the bull in resale value.

i'm a youngtimer, and i'm thinking its going to be a bad winter as well, if we all survive hurricane season. it may be the end of the world.

Latest posts