Need Row Marker Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
I'm having a devil of a time following this drill. Most of the time I can follow, then the sunlight angle will change and I'll get lost for a while. Has anybody ever mounted some kind of row marker on a rig like this?

P1000494.jpg

I mounted a foam marker on mine but the marker caost 10 times what the drill si worth, but you cna take it off and use it on other equipment. Before I monted the foam marker I made a drag out of 4 large tires and dragged them behind. The flattened grass from the drag really help a lot.

The foam marker is a very good option. Yes expensive, $500 minimum. Big advantage is like dun said it is portable and can also be used on spray or other planting or fertilize spreading equipment. I need and should and probably will get one. With the drill though, if there were cleats of some kind on the drill tires it would leave enough of a mark that could be followed I think. Steering tire to the outside of previous drill tire track by two feet is where the follow route goes.

I've got a 10' Haybuster and have the same gripe every time I use it. But then I forget about it when I put it in the shed and don't think about it til I use it again. Easier for me to see when the sun is lower on the horizon or there's dew on the ground.

I think the foam marker is the best answer, but as big a bunch of tightwads as we all are here (except for one) we'll collectively spend enough money trying to avoid a foam marker system until we've spent enough to pay for the darn thing!

Right on all points, cf. I'm going out there at daylight and get a few hours in while the dew's on the ground.

ga. prime":1ovacium said:
Right on all points, cf. I'm going out there at daylight and get a few hours in while the dew's on the ground.

I found late in the afternoon is also a good time. BTW, you didn't steal my drill did you? Mine is a new one just like yours. Dang good drill. You wouldn't by chance know where you can get some new discs - cheap do you. I used to get them at Agri-Supply but they don't ever seem to have them anymore and the John Deere folks must make theirs out of platinum or something.

Jogeephus":2qsic3wl said:
ga. prime":2qsic3wl said:

I found late in the afternoon is also a good time. BTW, you didn't steal my drill did you? Mine is a new one just like yours. Dang good drill. You wouldn't by chance know where you can get some new discs - cheap do you. I used to get them at Agri-Supply but they don't ever seem to have them anymore and the John Deere folks must make theirs out of platinum or something.

Come on up here and I'll sell you the ones on my old drill. I've retired it and may end up scrapping it out. The only place I've found them in the past few years was to buy an old drill at a sale that still had good parts on it.

ga. prime":1ntgnf1t said:
The foam marker is a very good option. Yes expensive, $500 minimum. Big advantage is like dun said it is portable and can also be used on spray or other planting or fertilize spreading equipment. I need and should and probably will get one. With the drill though, if there were cleats of some kind on the drill tires it would leave enough of a mark that could be followed I think. Steering tire to the outside of previous drill tire track by two feet is where the follow route goes.
I swung the drawbar all the way to the left. Easier to guage 1 foot from the drill tire track than two. But then. I'm used to following the track like I did with my old 1940's model drill. My "new" 1950's model drill is wider than the old so I had to relearn the driving curve. :)

About the discs- last time I bought any was 2 or 3 years ago at Milan Tractor. Seems like they were $40 or so each. I think I only bought one or two.

Jogeephus":3fb11w6d said:
ga. prime":3fb11w6d said:

Here is a place, I have bought from them.
http://www.burrells.net/

ga. prime":1akk0q6k said:
I'm having a devil of a time following this drill. Most of the time I can follow, then the sunlight angle will change and I'll get lost for a while. Has anybody ever mounted some kind of row marker on a rig like this?

P1000494.jpg

I bought a GPS unit and I love it was about $1400 but it has many diff uses better than $500 for a marker and only using it a few times a yr it counts acres , you can pull out of the field or out of row and it will take you back and put you on line again wouldn't be with out one now use it for planting spraying brushhogging by the acre it has paid for its self

The technology must have really improved in the past 3 years. I had one back then and junked it and got a foam marker.

Remember that Indian scout called Lord Baltimore from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? He tracked those boys over a hundred miles of slick red rock canyon on a galloping horse in Utah. Would he need any stinking row marker?

ga. prime":mguze3lj said:
Remember that Indian scout called Lord Baltimore from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? He tracked those boys over a hundred miles of slick red rock canyon on a galloping horse in Utah. Would he need any stinking row marker?

He would if the director didn;t tell him which way to go!

Hi,

The Foam marker that I started to develop and was mentioned by novatech above ( http://www.sellfarm.com/Foam%20Marker.htm ) had a number of problems which I think I address in the website. I finally brokedown and purchased a foam marker, but have not taken it off the sprayer to put on my drill. I wait until there is some rain and the ground is relatively soft and then just do it. I agree there are times when I don't know where I've been, but the time it takes to move the marker from one piece of equipment to another is more than I want to take.

The newer GPS sounds like the way to go.

Billy :banana:

MrBilly":1t60i5or said:
Hi,

The Foam marker that I started to develop and was mentioned by novatech above ( http://www.sellfarm.com/Foam%20Marker.htm ) had a number of problems which I think I address in the website. I finally brokedown and purchased a foam marker, but have not taken it off the sprayer to put on my drill. I wait until there is some rain and the ground is relatively soft and then just do it. I agree there are times when I don't know where I've been, but the time it takes to move the marker from one piece of equipment to another is more than I want to take.

The newer GPS sounds like the way to go.

Billy :banana:

Takes me about 5 minutes to move mine. I put hose type connectors on the hose ends and just unscrew them form one and screw them on the hoses already in place on the other equipment.
The worst part is adding water to the marker while there is still any move concentrate left in it. That's only cause it's messy having the foam pouring out through the fill hole.

Good work Dun. :tiphat: If we live long enough there is always a solution to be found, one just needs to look.

Billy

I have been thinking about possibly using a paintball gun to mark spots on my right side ( for spraying) paint balls are cheap and the guns are too, compared to foam markers, what do you think?

Latest posts