Need opinion on website

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Hello all, I built a website for our cattle buying business last october and want to get some feedback. Take a look at it and let me know if it works for you and looks good. I know when I load it on my Internet Explorer it looks good but when I open it in Mozilla Firefox it looks a bit stretched. I wanted to make it easy to use for people who arent real computer or internet savy, so it is fairly simple. There currently are no lots under Cattle Sales that are active, all have been sold and things arent really moving right now, but usually in the fall and through the winter we have lots of cattle for sale on the site with a video slideshow if pictures and a detailed description similar to TEAM's. So ya, just let me know what you think and any changes that could be made.

http://www.superiorcanadianlivestock.com

website is technically ok, but i don't care about what's been sold nearly as much as what's for sale. more pictures are needed as attention grabbers! good luck!!

BIZIN-

In my opinion, your website answers the questions that most sites should: Who - What - Where - When - and Why.

The "Constantly Moving" left side pane is VERY distracting. It's purpose is to attract attention, but it is disrupting to someone who is becoming acquainted with your Operation for the first time. YOU know all the information you are disseminating, but new observers are in a 'learning' mode, and don't need extraneous and extrinsic information to be competing with that which is already being displayed elsewhere. I feel that the moving "Superior Auction" ad is a darned good one, but use it by itself at an earlier or later period in the body of the ad itself, not in competition.

Another suggestion would be - redesign the "Attention Buttons" to a different tab - such as a horn, or a hoof, or an Auctioneer's hammer, or mallet. ... maybe a "pitcher pump" handle!

It is an interesting website, and you should get a lot of response from its use.

DOC HARRIS

Building a good website is tough. I have one for my business too and it's hard to make sure you're getting your point across. I would like to see more color. I like the cover pic but not in black and white. If you want the left side rolling info, put it on the right side because if your page doesn't fit a computers screen the reader doesn't have to scroll over see everything. I don't mind seeing Sold, but it would be good to know the prices and date sold.

Whats' there not to like on your website? For me personally we have sold on Superior 21 years straight, love those Hereford pairs, and that looks like a nice border collie. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks guys, keep the tips coming. Ya, I would like to have when they sold and what they sold for, but the program I am using to design the site gives me a limited amount of space to have information. That is something I am working on.

The left bar doesnt bother me, but I have been working on the site for almost a year now, every second day so I guess I am used to it.

Idaman... Not a collie, its an australian sheperd. Best cattle dog we ever owned, dad said her sire is some champion cattle dog, cant remember his name now. One time our cows got out on an Indian reserve and it took us a few days to find em. We found them in one group and started heading em back to the pasture, about halfway through the trip we had about half of em run off into a coulee full of bush and just decided to leave them so we didnt lose the ones we had up top, we dont use horses, just a quad and a truck and a dog or two so we couldnt send someone after em. We went a few miles and a friend of ours realized our dog was missing, we got the first group in and came back looking for the others and the dog and found her about 6 miles from where we left her, bringing up the rear of the cows that took off. She had never been to that reserve before and was heading em in the right direction all by herself. When dad got her and had her trained good he let a guy at the feedlot go cause she took his job, if she could open gates and drive a tractor we woulda let em all go! Couple winters ago we were bedding pens in the feedlot and I was opening gates for dad in the tractor, the dog always came along. Well I was closing the gate and the bale fell outta the loader and crushed her. I have seen my dad cry twice, when my sister got married this weekend and when that dog was killed.

My mistake. Whenever I see a back and white dog minding their business behind a bunch of cows I think "Border Collie". We have always had lots of border collies at least for more than 70 years.

We now have some McNabbs that are rising to the level you described.

The one we now have, whenever he is mad at you or doesn't like you he turns around and sits down facing directly in the opposite direction from you. We have noticed that when he does this his tail is always stretched out straight on the ground pointing at you. We call this "giving you the tail."

Haha, ya I have a grand daughter out of the dog in the picture and she gives me too much attitude, she is half healer. The dog in the picture is actually black, white with copper between the two, but you cant see that in the pic. I will try to get the color picture up there.

Latest posts