NEED IDEALS/HELP ON WHAT TO PLANT?

Help Support CattleToday:

brent6482003

Reaction score
I need some serious ideals on what to plant. Im located in central texas & this drought has left us with very little to no grass left. I usually plant out rye grass but Im afraid we wont get enough rain for it to produce. Is there anything else out there that I could plant for my cattle? (Certain kinds of mixes,where to buy,etc.for approx 30acres). Any help will be greatly appreciated....
Thank You,
Brent

I am also located in central Texas. I plan to dry plant oats just like I do every year. I always flatbreak my land in June and let it lay until the first of September. I then apply my granular fertilizer and harrow it under. I then let that lay until after Sept. 15. I then plant oats and hope when it rains it will be a good one. I have been using this protocol for many years and it has worked out well. If the ground is really dry like it has been in the last couple of years and you have your seed at least 1" deep it will take at least 3/4 " rain to get it up. If you don't get a rain right away the oats will just lay and wait. In this area the oats will grow good until January-February. They then slow down until March and here they go again.

The secret is in preparing the land early and deep and let it lay over the summer.

Thank you for the info....I guess Im behind again this year..Any suggestions to get rid of these goat weeds not using a spray?
Thanks,
Brent

If spraying is ruled out, then a shreader is my next choice. I sprayed my hay meadows with 2,4,D and just shreaded the bad spots in the pasture. Some years they can really be a problem, especially if the soil is disturbed.

LibertyIIE":amnnbzq4 said:
If spraying is ruled out, then a shreader is my next choice. I sprayed my hay meadows with 2,4,D and just shreaded the bad spots in the pasture. Some years they can really be a problem, especially if the soil is disturbed.

What is shreading?

Gail

Latest posts