Need Help with Puppies

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Hi Hope someone can help?
Just got done trying to get our new puppies to eat.
Our 4 year old Lab just had them yesterday at the Vet. She had to have a c-section her uterus had ruptured. The vet said we got there just in time to save all 8 puppies. But mom was not doing that good. After 2 more hours she was better so we could bring them home my wife and I have been trying to feed them with bottles and esbilac from the vet. Also trying to have mom nurse but she is in a lot of pain.
Does anyone have any ideas about getting the puppies fed with bottles?
Thank for all the help Jeff

If they are healthy they will want to nurse when they get hungry. I'm not a vet but I assume the pups are lethargic from the meds the dog got during c section. Maybe ken, mm, lucky, or parmer with check in

Been able to get pups nursing ??? Make sure they are warm, heating pad covered by towel or blanket.
First litter for dog ??? Sometime first litter if c'section take while for maternal instincts to kick in.
Depending on anesthetic used for surgery, varying time until fully recover, check back with Your Vet if
still not awake/alert. I would rather You check back many times than let a problem go unattended.
There will be discomfort regarding surgery site, but usually she will nurse pups w/o difficulty. If she
even somewhat attentive, mothers tongue does wonders in reviving pups.
W Lamar Parmer, DVM

Wonder if this problem resolved . As many of You, took time to respond + sent private message. Got no dog
in this hunt, but would be nice to know outcome. and if I helped or hindered.

Sorry I didn't get time to let you all Know.
The mom is doing great and we have the puppies nursing now.
But it was touch and go for some time and the vet was about to give up on the mom.
Thanks for the info and Thank God that all are on the upside now.
Jeff

Thanks again for all the help.
The Mom and all 8 of the puppies are doing great.
Mom is nursing the pups and we don't have to feed them at all.
Sorry I was not on the net very much when it was going on.
Thanks Jeff

Thanks again for the saport with our dog and puppies.
Its been 4 weeks now and mom and all 8 puppies are great and having fun with them
Jeff