need help selecting a horse breed

Help Support CattleToday:

It all depends on how the individual horse suits you :) Draft crosses are great fun, and can be just as athletic as any horse. Yes, a warmblood, but not the big European warmbloods ($$$$) that come to mind, ha ha ha.
Having said that, I had a 15hh (on a good day, generally around 14.3) QH/TB cross that could cart around my dad, who is probably about 230. She wasn't more that 900 lbs, IF THAT. Now, he wasn't riding her long hard days, but it really depends on the horse. Look for one without a real long back, as they won't hold as much weight. Not saying 250 is all that much, but if it is something you are concerned about you should think of it. Also, like it was previously mentioned, a nice smooth gaited horse will result in a more comfortable ride.

Hey, and as also stated, QH's are AWESOME. Those are some very solidly built horses, meant for carting people around for long, hard days. Very sturdy. I have definitely ridden on ranches with men on little 14hh QH's who were pushing 300lbs :p

One important thing, even moreso than a suitable horse, is to make sure you have a suitable saddle that distributes weight evenly and effectively. With an ill fitting saddle, a featherweight would do more damage that a 500lb-er. Any horse in a poorly fitting saddle will be in pain, and therefore will not have a good working life.

Good luck on the horse hunt, always exciting :) I hope you find your new buddy soon :)

TCFC

Howdy,
Well first off their are so many breeds. So your prob. gonna have to look around and find what you like. We have a BIG Huge Friesian cross mare. She's the greatest horse we have. We bred her to a quarter horse and had a nice colt. He is stout and soooo hansome. Too bad we have too many and prob. are going to have to sell him. So don't forget about crosses. Like some of the best dogs are crosses. But you ought to look into Quarter Horses, maybe one with alot of thourghbred blood. So it will be tall. Or if your looking into gaited horses Tennessee Walkers are good. We have a tall walker. But you have to remember all horses are different. They have diffferent personalties and temperments. You'll prob. just need to experimemt.
Ellie May

What breed you choose is up to you, but I believe Alan is right on when he gave you his perception of appy's, arabs, thoroughbreds, etc....

I have Walking horses. For many years I weighed 250 pounds and rode a 14 hand horse, but then I'm only 5 foot. However, a 15 hand horse could carry you all day and it would not be a problem. (However, I'm sure my horses would tell you they like my 125 pound weight now and your weight loss is to be applauded... actually a standing ovation)

Advice to any novice --- DO NOT buy any horse younger than 15 years of age. Just as we mature with age, so do horses. I don't know why but most novices buy a yearling and then have numerous unhappy experiences. A 15 yr old horse will give you many more years of life if given the proper care.

Also I have found that anytime you can see the "whites" in their eyes they are of a "hotter" more nervous type. I'm sure someone can tell you of the exception, but that is my experience.

DO NOT buy your first horse at the sale barn unless you take someone reputable/knowledgeable with you. I would not recommend buying from a horse trader either. When you pick out the horse you really like, go back and see it again at an unannounced time (this will allow you to see the horse in natural form so as the owner will not have had time to give it acepromazine, calm and cool, or any other additives/gimmicks).
If you go to see the horse the first time and they've already ridden it "just" before you got there then I would not buy that horse.
Also make sure you ride the horse AWAY from the barn or where it is stalled. It should go willingly away from the barn and not be in a hurry to turn around and go back.

I realize you did not ask for this info, but simply inquired about breeds, and of course since I have walking horses that would be my preference. I don't care for a bouncy ride of a nongaited horse and I'm not going to post either. I can ride my horses english or western, but I will say that whatever breed you decide to buy make sure the saddle FITS the horse. A saddle has to FIT a horse just like boots have to fit your foot.

I'm 45 y/o and my cowgirl days are over. I don't want a horse that I have to blindfold to get on or one that bucks every time you mount up or one that boogers at everything nor do I want a sore butt from bouncing, hence the walking horse for me.

If you purchase one that is at least a teenager, no matter what breed, you can always upgrade to a younger horse after you've gotton some experience.

You are jumping way ahead of yourself in worrying about which breed of horse to buy. In fact, you don't ride a breed of horse, you ride a single horse. If you find a sound, and sane, and well mannered thoroughbred, what do you care if most TB's are hot and difficult? If you buy a Percheron who is spooky, and mean, the mere fact that he is a Percheron doesn't mean he's safe to ride. In fact, if I recall correctly, "Midnight," the legondary bronco from the 1920s, whose image is on Wyo. L/P's, was part draft horse.

My advice: before you buy a horse, find a riding instructor, and learn to ride properly. After you feel confident about your skills, ask your instuctor about what kind of horse you should buy. Most will have an idea of a particular horse one of their clients have out grown, that will suit you well. Your instructor can match you with a horse that suits you better than you can do on your own.

Even if your teacher does not have such a horse in mind, he can point you to what you should be looking for. Before you buy, ask your teacher to look the horse over, and give you his opinion. Even if you pay for this advice, it can save you a ton of problems down the line.

I started riding when I was about 10. I had no formal instruction, and rode for many years. As an adult, I took riding lessons, and had to unlearn a lot of stuff to have a more effective seat. It is a lot easier to learn it right the 1st time, than to have to unlearn something first.

If you live in the boonies and are too far away from a riding stable to have a good instructor, try to find someone in your neighborhood who is an experienced horseman give you some pointers, and learn how to manage a horse safely. Horses are a lot more powerful, active, and potentially more dangerous than cattle, especially if you are sitting on top of one.

Also, if you live too far from organized riding instruction, I suggest you get some instructional videos. The best series I know is a series of 4 videos that are made from US Army training films from WW II. They are advertised in the classifieds in horse magazines. The films are in B&W, and production-wise are somewhat primative by today's standards, but the instruction is 1st rate. You can learn a great deal from these tapes. They were designed for cavalry recruits and start at a very, very basic level.

Good luck, and good riding.

concerning a reply to "what breed to choose: one stated that whites in their eyes could possibly mean "hot" horse. not sure of the exact wording...my horse,a paint, mostly chestnut, is one of the sweetest, calm horses i've ever seen. my husband and i often joke that we could ride and have lunch on him and he would'nt be bothered. how reliable is this "white/eye thing"and what else should i know about it? thanks...mell

[email protected]":3kk7gfq4 said:
concerning a reply to "what breed to choose: one stated that whites in their eyes could possibly mean "hot" horse. not sure of the exact wording...my horse,a paint, mostly chestnut, is one of the sweetest, calm horses i've ever seen. my husband and i often joke that we could ride and have lunch on him and he would'nt be bothered. how reliable is this "white/eye thing"and what else should i know about it? thanks...mell

It's not at all reliable, the amount of white in the eye has nothing to do with how hot the horse is. On the other hand, some horses do get the wide eyed crazy look and may show some more white at that point. I will admit a horse with more white in the eye looks a little hot but it doesn't mean it is, it simply means it has white showing in it's eye.

JMO
Alan

Latest posts