need help selecting a horse breed

Help Support CattleToday:

piccone

Reaction score
I would like to get into riding horses, not competitively or anything, just around our farm. I am 250 pounds, and i am assuming I am too large for most normal, standard sized breeds. I was looking into draft horses, such as the Percheron. Can anyone give me any advice, as I will be doing some considerable research the next 4-6 months before making any decisions. Thanks

Welcome to the world of horses! IMHO, 250 is not too big for most standard breeds. Especially for light farm riding. I would stick with a bigger animal though, around 1100-1200lbs, 15+ hands. Perhaps one of the gated horses such as a Tenessee Walker or a Missouri Foxtrotter might be worth looking into. Their gates are much easier on "older" bones and muscles than a regularly gated horse, and there are several folks on this board who have them and can attest to their overall general temperment. If you're set on a draft type horse, then the draftXlight crosses might be worth looking into as well.

Since this is new for you, I would also suggest an older horse, maybe one in his teens, that has been through it all. "Bombproof" horses are worth their weight in gold, and will allow you to make the inevitable rookie mistakes that are bound to happen with any new endeavor with less of a chance of hurting either you or them.

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your decision!

I would go with the Fox Trotter. My vet raises them and he has some that get really big. 15 + and 1200 lbs.

Scotty

Being from the same origins...tenessee walkers come in the same sizes and colors. Most importantly--sound and sensible horse with a good attitude. Don't be talked into buying a horse for it's potential--get one you get along with straight away. If you want a strong horse that is shorter statured you might look into Icelandics for gaited or haflingers if you really want a little draft type.

Thinking a little more. If you are jsut going to walk around, check fences and look at cattle a Quarter horse is still a good choice.

Scotty

thanks for the help-i originally thought draft horses because it just seems that if a horse is 1200 pounds, i am already 20% extra of its weight on top, it just seems like a lot i guess---again thanks for the help, and ill be sure to check out the breeds mentioned ---o btw, none of you responders seemed to really favor draft horses. is there any particular reason??? thanks again

TR":2nug5yeo said:
IMHO, 250 is not too big for most standard breeds. Especially for light farm riding. I would stick with a bigger animal though, around 1100-1200lbs, 15+ hands.

I agree with the first part of this, but not the second. I don't think 250 is big at all. Heck, I'm pushing 200 and have road my daughters pony around a couple of times, but only for a few minutes! That little thing could drag/push/throw me around anywhere it wanted, if it had a mind to. It's plenty stout!

I don't know how tall you are, but I would think twice about getting a tall horse! Personally, I like one betweeen 14 and 15 hands. I am 5' 8" tall, and getting on a big 16+ hand horse is not that much fun.

I would recommend a well broke (around 15 + yrs old) quarter horse that is 14 1/2 to 15 hands tall. I like quarter horses that have some cow sense because if your riding in the country, you're enivitably going to come across cattle, and you don't want your horse to bolt at the first sign of livestock in the pasture.

TXBobcat":2190kle0 said:
I like quarter horses that have some cow sense because if your riding in the country, you're enivitably going to come across cattle, and you don't want your horse to bolt at the first sign of livestock in the pasture.

Yes they sure do! Most breeds when exposed to livestock, including exotics, become accustomed and nonreactive to them.

What type of riding will you be doing? What do you like in a horse, including looks and disposition? Any of us can pick what suits us for you--but what you want is more important. IF you want a Percheron--they are nice horses, if you want minis--they can ba nice too. Can you describe what you think of when you picture a good horse?

the answer to the height question is i am 6' 0 feet tall. Well, when I think of a horse I always think of my neighbor when I was a boy. he would board and train other peoples horses bu he himself had clydesdales and he mostly used them to pull carts, wagons, whatever...i dont htink he ever rode them horseback. I have just always been fascinated with the big, majestic looking horses such as these. i'm looking into many breeds and i'll let you know what I decide later on. thank you

They ride just fine. Only problem I see is that you make sure you fit a saddle properly to them. If you are uncertain--ask for help. Gentle Giants! Good luck finding just the right one!

I happen to be an authority on this...sad buy true! I weighed 480lbs a few years ago moved to farm and got my family horses. I went on diet mostly so I could ride in the end I lost 180lbs. Wife and kids had horses. As I lost weight I thought of what I could ride. Had a friend that had a Mule (no this wont be popular but)
Ended up buying my wife a mule and she loved it. But it was pushing close to 16 hands. I then found me the best mule to this date I have ever saw! It was Barely 15 hands and stout built. Tall is not always what you want especially when it comes time to get on and off!!!! And when going under limbs. At 400lbs starting riding this mule. At weights between 300 and up to 400lbs I have taken it off stuff most people would never consider taking a horses. It has pulled me up and down hills and mountains a person could probably not make on foot. I would never own anything but a mule now. Daughter owns a horse but every body else in family has mules.
Mules are either really good or really bad. Find a great one and you will never go back.
But anything that is around 15 hands and has some weight and stoutness to it would carry you. I was a more extreme case.
We did look at a Belgian/quarter horse cross. Wife loved riding it but in the end she is glad she did not buy it. As she progressed as a rider it would not have served her purpose. You might want some get up and go in future.

Percheron would be a good choice. You may also want to consider warmbloods with percheron in them. one of the gentlest horses ive ever been around was a gray warmblood that was part percheron (huntseat and western trained) and one of the highest strung horses ive ever been around was a black percheron warmblood. talk about a fruit loop!
If you consider a regular sized horse look into quarterhorses. my 2 cents. i think they should have a cent key on the keyboard.

I'm also about 6'3 and 250, I have a 15.2, 1100lbs, Paint who does fine with me and also a 15.3 Quarter Horse gelding at about 1250lbs. He'll handle me fine but he's a young horse I don't trust as much as the paint.

I would stay away from the Draft breeds , they are gentle but your (my) hips get sore because of such a wide girth.

I love the Quarter Horse breed (a Paint for this purpose is QH with too much white, same breeding, type, and temperment. So for the sake of argument for now consider a Paint to be a QH. But a Pinto is not always a paint, some pintos can be very hot horses, i.e. Saddlebreds, National Show horses) many very sound, sane and safe QH's out there. But lots to know before you make your decision, for example you can find a Reg. Quarter Horse that is mostly Thoroughbred, and could turn out to be a very hot horse, hard to hande and dangerous for a beginning rider.

Do lots of research, Arabs a smaller horses that are hot, Thoroughbreds are big and hot, As I stated QH and Paints allow Thoroughbred into the mix. But, lots of very nice mostly "foundation" QH's out there. I too love mules, but they are very smart, can be stubborn and can kick you into the middle of next week. Appy's can be good but most I've seen can be hard headed and stuborn (not to offend appy people). Not much experience with walkers and Paso.

Good luck, do lots of reasearch and remember any horse can kill you any day. Learn how to handle them how to be safe and keep yourself a way to get out of any spot (always be between the horse and the door if in the stall). Learn how to read a horse, what ear position means what it's posture means and actions with it's mouth means.

Good luck and welcome to a wonder experience, Horses, with dogs are here to be a companion to men and women.

Alan

i like qh's myself. i don't know how you feel about mustangs, but they are pretty good horses too. i don't know if they have wild horse sales where you are, but if you can find someone that has trained a wild horse they are generally very stocky and good for just about anything. we bought one and my sister did 4-H off of him. we bought him at 3 and trained him for cattle and 4-H. its all a matter of opinion. i like my qh mare the best. good luck finding your horse.