Need help catching a sick heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

luke03cr

Reaction score
I have a young heifer that had baling twine wrapped around her neck. She moves and eats just fine but it looks like its getting infected. She stays with the herd that roames the whole farm and we cant get too close to her. What is yals best advice for catching and restraing her and prob give her a shot of penicillian? Just in case. Thanks

Feed the group in a small pen for a few days. Once they all go in, close it up and then sort out all the others but her. Then run her into an alley or Headgate/squeeze to treat her

As said before, feed them in a small area where you can gate them in. Then calmly separate the heifer out and get her in a head gate or chute. If no facilities are available use a panel or gate to get her in a corner of a barn or secure area and use the gate as a squeeze, meaning get her in the corner of the barn with a gate, pinch her in with the gate, tie her securely and treat her.

Good luck!
:tiphat:

Thanks yal for the quick replys. Would you recommend a penicillen shot? And if so how much for a 500lb cow?

Once you get her caught up, just saturate the area with betadine real good. If you decide to give a dose of antibiotics, pay attention to the withdrawal times.

Once you get her caught clean the infected area and give her a long acting dose of Oxytetracycline .

Like said already, there are good antiseptic sprays out there like blue kote wound spray to also put on the wound for superficial damage.

When you get her restrained, have a good look and probe into the wound to make sure all the twine is gone. If there is nothing there it should heal up quickly without any treatment. If the wound has a lot of proud flesh it would suggest to me that the twine is still embedded in the wound.
Ken

hillsdown":2nphuhtp said:
Once you get her caught clean the infected area and give her a long acting dose of Oxytetracycline .

Like said already, there are good antiseptic sprays out there like blue kote wound spray to also put on the wound for superficial damage.
I agree with HD

What part of East TN are you from?

Fatboy

f150fatboy":1j35xdvb said:
hillsdown":1j35xdvb said:

I agree with HD

What part of East TN are you from?

Fatboy
Clinton, just north west of knoxville

A 4 wheeler and a lariat.
(just joking.)
About all you can do is hope she stays with the herd when they go to feed--I've sometimes had one or 2 that just wouldn't--they'd go right up to the pen, but back off right at the gate and stay back aways--and always the ones I wanted in there the worst too.
Good luck with her.

Hey if you need a hand I'm also in Clinton, got a few cows also. I think I'm just over the hill from you.

luke03cr":25wwqvmm said:
I have a young heifer that had baling twine wrapped around her neck. She moves and eats just fine but it looks like its getting infected. She stays with the herd that roames the whole farm and we cant get too close to her. What is yals best advice for catching and restraing her and prob give her a shot of penicillian? Just in case. Thanks

Hillsdown has it right - that is the way to go.

Next - fix it so they cannot get water anywhere unless they travel through some sort of trap / pen system.

Cows can go forever without food but not without water.

Make them come to you every day

Easy to observe and easy to catch

My best

Bez

Latest posts