Need help / Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

thollingshead

Reaction score
Okay, I've had a Holstein cow for about 2 years and she has a calf that's about 8 months old. I recently traded my Jersey bull for a Charolais heifer (about 7 months old). The bull was getting a little rough to deal with and it seemed like a good trade at the time because I wanted to insert some beef cattle into my little dairy herd.

This brings me to my 2 problems:

1. I have about 5 acres fenced in for my cows, but I have no head gate or working area. Can anyone point me in the right direction for plans or packages for very small herd working pens? I have looked around and everything seems to be designed for dozens or more animals. At most, I can't see ever having more than maybe 10 head at a time.

2. I've had my little Charolais heifer for about a week now, and when I got her, her right eye was wet underneath. It looked like she'd be crying if you can picture that. A long wet streak under her right eye. I never thought too much about it, and now her right eye lids (upper and lower) are red all the way around and she is squinting. Her left eye is fine. I can't really get too close to her to look at it, because she won't let me get within arms reach of her. Is this something that might go away on it's own or is this something I need to get a vet for? My other cows have never been sick or given me any cause for calling a vet (even when the cow calfed, it went smoothly with no intervention), so I'm at a loss.

Any advice or help you can give is very much appreciated. I'm learning as I go. Thank you!

#1 What is your budget for corrals and working equipment? #2 Sounds like a case on pinkeye. Either administer 5 cc la200 on site of eye or take to vet if you dont have facilities to restrain her. Welcome to the board

That heifer either has Pink Eye or something in her eye. Get a rope on her, tie her up short to something solid, and look her eye over, lift the eyelids and find whats in her eye.

You can get an older head gate/chute off Craigslist but for a small herd it may be in your best interest to just take them to the vet. We have occasionally used old cattle panels to catch & secure cattle in our pastures that don't have a chute. If you rope her I would suggest putting on a halter prior to tying her up so she doesn't choke.

Agreed, most likely pinkeye or an object/abrasion. Do you see an ulcer, possibly protruding, or a white spot? Until you figure out a plan to contain her, I would start by spraying the eye with Vetericyn; turn the spray on stream if she won't let you get very close & you can generally get in a couple good blasts while she's eating. If/when you get her contained, my protocol for pinkeye is to inspect, flush w/Vetericyn & a healthy dose of LA300 (SQ, no more than 10cc per injection site), continue spraying the eye for a couple days.

Thank you all! I'll try the rope and halter first, and if I can't figure it out, I'll head on to the vet with her. I don't know much about giving shots, but sounds like I need to learn real fast.

If you get a head gate you can design a short (3-cow length) race and a couple pens round it.
Electrified high tensile for pens is very easy to install and better than nothing - the cows *will* jump out if any pressure is put on them, but for a very calm herd it'll be good enough for temporary, or occasional use. Crowding them towards the headbail you need sturdy posts and rails or similar. Makes sense to combine the pens with the loading/unloading area if you have one for livestock transport.

The calf most likely has pink eye.

I agree on at the minimum having a headgate. But I would at least use wire/combo panels instead of electric corrals and electric charger for them. And the wire panels can always be moved if you decide to expand.

Well, after 3 days of spraying Vetericyn in her eye, she's looking much better! I just fed her grain and then gave her a couple squirts twice a day in the eye. It startled her, but she didn't run off. I wasn't able to give her a shot without the headgate, but it looks like I won't need to. Thank you to all who helped me.

When I started out I had a very good vet and I hauled everything to his facilities. I was running about 10 pair and he also taught me alot about what to give and how, when we got to about 25 head we bought a used head gate and a few panels and some alley bows and started doing it ourselves. We are up to 150 pair and several bulls it takes alot of practice to learn. I appreciate all I learned from that vet

Latest posts