need hay

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
Well, we are in SW Oklahoma--another part of the "exceptional" drought map. Fortunately we sold our yearling steers last
March in anticipation of the drought...but now we are feeding hay (all summer) that should have been saved for the winter.
We will have to sell about half of our herd. We have just sold the below animals, with more to come:

Suzanne11.jpg

PSue21.jpg

BoomerMay2120ll1.jpg

Levijuly201111.jpg

We need hay. Anyone have any good round bales for sale?

Here in Southern Indiana we still have had enough rain to keep the pastures growing but with the amount of hay ground put into row crops this spring I feel that we could be short by spring. A neighbor with 4 x 5 second cutting grass hay priced 25 bales to a farmer for $35.00 per bale and he was told that the hay was too expensive and he would just take his cows to town. I think there will be more farmers to follow suit.

those are some real nice lookin animals.if i had the grass i would buy some but i too have been feeding hay all summer and selling animals that i want to keep.gotta get rid of a few more this week.sure hate to because i know they're gonna be high to replace when that time comes.

piedmontese":3lube2qq said:
those are some real nice lookin animals.if i had the grass i would buy some but i too have been feeding hay all summer and selling animals that i want to keep.gotta get rid of a few more this week.sure hate to because i know they're gonna be high to replace when that time comes.
I am also selling I am not worried about replacing. Because I am not. I am quitting the cattle business. Been in since 14 years of age. Now going on 71. Time to quit.

Weather cast is back paddling on their recent forecast for 60% chance of rain and 87degree highs....evidently not going to happen (as usual)...Just moved 15 head home from another place so I don't have to haul hay to them.........I guess I might as well haul them to town now as opposed to later.

1982vett":r3rsiqwx said:
Weather cast is back paddling on their recent forecast for 60% chance of rain and 87degree highs....evidently not going to happen (as usual)...Just moved 15 head home from another place so I don't have to haul hay to them.........I guess I might as well haul them to town now as opposed to later.
I take it as a good sign Vett. If they had stuck to the 60% chance it ain't likely we would get any. Now we got a chance. :banana:

Just thinking out loud here but rather than trucking in hay why not truck the cattle to an area that has ample rain and pay someone to care for them till the drought subsides. Especially during the winter months when there are so many fenced crop fields that could be planted in oats or rye that might otherwise lay idle. It would seem to be a win win deal since whatever residual fertilizer used on the cropland would be there in the spring for the crops and it would also serve as a cover crop. Might take some networking through extension or something but I bet it could be worked out where everyone would win.

Isomade":2fzuxama said:
1982vett":2fzuxama said:
I take it as a good sign Vett. If they had stuck to the 60% chance it ain't likely we would get any. Now we got a chance. :banana:
I agree 20% chance is more likely better chance the 60.....but with their being wrong 99.99% of the time... No reason to think anything we might get would be effective anyway....all contingent on the next one anyway and who knows when that will be...SO...I hauled 5 more pair off......Good dam riddance....! Wish they were all gone now cause this is beginning to pis$ me off and I haven't been pis$ed off in 9 months.

Dam shame for cull factor to be color... anything white faced (potiential eye problems)....only think I could think of how to go about it....already did all the others.

jedstivers":6vrc5jgr said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72647

Thanks. I sure missed that one. Lots of cows hit the road around here because of cotton so there should be plenty of winter grazing opportunities for someone.

hurleyjd":36vrh3cz said:
piedmontese":36vrh3cz said:
I am also selling I am not worried about replacing. Because I am not. I am quitting the cattle business. Been in since 14 years of age. Now going on 71. Time to quit.
That's too bad, sorry to hear. How long you been in Yantis?

OKJeanne,

We live in West TN. How many round rolls are you looking to buy? I think we will have a few extra this year as i am cutting and rolling some more now. Now, what i have will be bermuda, fescue, weed mix. We feed it to our cows all winter and they seem to get along fine with it.
I think we will have some extra this year. Now, it won't be 500 bales or anything, but we should have some. If it can help you, let me know. Brett Bryan

hay travels better..i still think someone would be able to find empty truckers on their way back from delivering boats/rv's/tractors etc that could backhaul 25 rolls hay cheap enuff to make it pay...or meet halfway at someones place with yer fl partner and load offa one trly onto another..fuel is yer biggest exp if yer pulling a 30 ft gooseneck for yourself and yer nieghbor...30 a roll here make it worthwhile..my partner just sold 175 rolls at 30 ec..5x5 bales

We did buy a load of round bales from Plumerville, AR...but now are having trouble getting a trucker to haul it.
Our flatbed won't hold enough to make it feasible; and if we had a bigger trailer, our truck wouldn't pull it fully loaded.
Surely something will come up soon.

OK Jeanne":83vg4t6a said:
We did buy a load of round bales from Plumerville, AR...but now are having trouble getting a trucker to haul it.
Our flatbed won't hold enough to make it feasible; and if we had a bigger trailer, our truck wouldn't pull it fully loaded.
Surely something will come up soon.
Jeanne check your pms

the sad truth is alot of people are hauling their cows to town insted of trying to buy hay for the winter.i know of 6 that have sold all their herds an kept back a handfull just for tx pourposes now.we are going to cut deep in stock cow herd an keep the reg cows.

Latest posts