Need Calf Help ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

I don;t draw hard enough to get bubbles but you will notice the plunger is hard to move and you aren;t drawing any fluids. Unless you are specificailly trying to give it IV , when you draw any blood you change the site of the injection. You did exactly right.

I was reading one of milkmaid's post and was just wondering is this a hernia, or a ill navel, or just normal? Should I worry about it? She is approx. 5-7 weeks old. This is also the heifer calf that everyone has been helping with.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Gently squeeze it. Is it hard? If it's soft can you poke aorund a bit with your finger and feel a hole in the abdomin, if so can you gently puch the bulge through the hole? Where did the heifer come from?

Keren":1tk4b2y2 said:
Not that its a huge deal, but you have her halter on upside down ... the bit that tightens should be under her chin, at the moment it is going round the top of her head

Yea.. She got out of the stall on me when I was putting water, and calf starter in, so I had to catch her anyway I could... Thats why it was on like that...

She looks good Josh for being so sick a little while ago.
Do what Dun said and also some Holstein sires are notorious for offspring with larger than normal umbilicals until they are about 8 months old and then they seem to go back down to normal. Fusted Emory Blitz was commonly known for that out of the 5 he sired of mine 3 looked like they had umbilical hernias but were not and the calves appeared normal again at about 7-9 months of age.

josh90":3kdv38an said:
Keren":3kdv38an said:
Not that its a huge deal, but you have her halter on upside down ... the bit that tightens should be under her chin, at the moment it is going round the top of her head

Yea.. She got out of the stall on me when I was putting water, and calf starter in, so I had to catch her anyway I could... Thats why it was on like that...

lol I know the feeling!

Latest posts