Need advice on how to treat calf injury.

Help Support CattleToday:

WVcowpatty:)

Reaction score
We have a calf about 2 1/2 months old that somehow scraped the hide off her hock. It doesn't appear to be cut into the tendons, but it is down into the tissue and looks pretty nasty. The hide is down below the scrape and will not cover the exposed skin. She is walking with just a slight limp after she gets up, and she runs and jumps and acts like the other calves.

This happened about a week ago. We have been spraying it with Blu-Kote wound dressing every day. However she or her mother lick every bit of this off, so it doesn't stay there for more than a few minutes. Until this evening, it actually looked like it was healing.

Because of the location of the wound, when she gets up, it bleeds. And it still looks very raw. I thought by now, it would have at least begun to scab over. Flies are just now beginning to show up in the pasture, and we're concerned that they're going to cause problems because of the bleeding.

We moved the calf and her mother into the barn this evening. Put the calf in the head chute, gave her PenG injection and washed the wound with sterile water and put Ichthymol on it. Within 2 minutes, she had licked it all off again.

We're going to keep the pair in the barn the next few days to see if it will heal better in there - with no flies.

I'd like to know if there is anything else I could put on the wound that the calf (or her mom) would not lick off? Or, can you put some type of wrap on it that they won't chew off? I'm worried that if we put some type of wrap on it, we'll end up with a calf that ingests the wrap and causes more damage than if we would have left it alone.

I know this is kinda long, and I tend to go into a lot of detail :oops:

And I know I can call the vet and will do so, if I think there is any sign of danger to the calf - temperature or infection, etc. But a LOT of times, the best information is from someone who's 'been there done that,' and I'm sure someone here can give me their experience.

Thanks!!

WV,

Have you figured out what caused the injury? A yote/dog attack? A metal protruding on a feeder..or gate?

I think I would call a vet on that one...tetanus shot...maybe....infection may set in....I think I would put 'em in the barn to limit his movements somewhat....let mom in to suck for a few days..I would try to get it covered with a big 6"x6" bandage with surgical tape with antibotic ointment. Sometimes they will let it stay on for a while. Needs to be kept moist and clean as possible for healing. Try putting something pungant on the outside of the wrap...maybe a little tar....not enough to soak into the wound....may keep their mouth away and give it a chance to heal. Keep the flies away too!!

Good luck.

I also volunteer as a emt. I have a lot of ace wraps in my jump bag. I have used them on calves. Like mentioned before it wouldn't be a bad idea to give a tenanus shot. If it has been exposed for a week chances are it has picked up some nasty bugs. Clean the area very throughly. I use a product made from scarlett oil before dressing. Its a concoction made my a local vet. Wrap the dressing around the leg a couple of times and then run tape around that a couple of times. Don't get it to tight just snug enough to stay in place. This should stay on long enough for the healing to take place. Have you given any antibotics or other meds.?

Preston39:

We haven't been able to figure out what she did to injure it for certain. But, we have several brush piles on the farm, which consist of tree stumps and dirt, from having the land cleared 3 years ago. The calves all love to play on them, and we think she's gotten on one of them and her rear end fell in a hole. Her other hock was covered with mud and dirt when we noticed the scraped one.

Most stuff at our farm is fairly new - gates, feeders, electric fencing etc., and we haven't found any old wire, metal laying around, etc. Not saying it can't be there, but this place was a forest 3 years ago, and almost all of it has been cleared with a dozer and we've not found much junk on it. We're also really careful of making sure we don't leave anything we're working with laying around. I've seen a friends cow die from hardware disease, and it's pretty nasty, so we're really careful.

The tetanus shot is a really good idea - hadn't thought of that. I'll see if the vet in the town where I work will let me buy a shot. Our normal vet is off in another town about 40 minutes away.

What kind of antibiotic ointment do you suggest? Ichthymol maybe, which I already have...or could I use neosporin (people medicine)?

We'll try wrapping it tomorrow evening. I could fashion a bandage from 6x6 and wrap with that brown clingy gauze stuff.

We are going to keep them both in the barn a few days - to keep it cleaner - no flies - and less movement. Also, if we need to retreat, the headchute is there also.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it!!

Bama

That's what I was trying to describe - Ace Bandage - I'll pick up one of those tomorrow. I have Betadine Solution, so maybe I should wash it out good with that? I've never heard of scarlet oil before - is there a brand name or another name that it is called?

I'll try wrapping it just like you described. Hopefully they'll both leave it alone. Their tongues are so rough, I wasn't sure we weren't making the situation worse by spraying it, because they both would immediately lick it until it looked raw again!

Thanks for your help!!

Betadine will be fine. Another trick is to cover the tape that is over the bandage with electrical tape or duct tape. It makes it harder for them to get off. Be careful with the electrical tape. It is easy to get it to tight and it also won't let the wound get any air whatsoever.

Betadine is fine.. I shy away from duct or electrical tape..wound can't breathe..needed for healing.

Surgical tape holds well and allows the bandage to use air passage. There's a new spray on material also to use where the bandage end comes together...if you are using a wrap gauze...a dandy to hold it in place...can't remember the name...TS has it and probably co-op. White gauze only....no colors.

I would NOT use a elastic wrap like we use for an arm or strain on the leg...ace bandage.... I think it is called...thats for closed wounds..the doc would tell you.... I believe!

Hope calf is better.

Forget about finding a hazard - could have caught in a fork in a root or branch. Could have been stepped on, could have been ..... could have been ...

Too many possibilities to bother worrying about it unless it happened due to an obvious hazard. They will find ways - even in an empty box stall.

Sounds like a "caught and pulled free" injury as skin hangs below the wound. Might as well cut it off - too late to sew and will possibly cause more harm when it rots and dies. Cut it close - good surgical scissors will allow for a quick and clean cut if you do not want to use a scalpel or razor - calf will jump a bit - but removing it will help.

Clean with water and stuff - your choice of decent antibiotic soap - lots available on the market - ask your pharmacist if you cannot get to a vet.

Put this animal on limited bedding and on clean floor. Prevents straw and such from poking the wound. I personally keep the wound open to the air - but there are alternatives. Spray with Boroform or similar product.

Or, use cling wrap to cover with light dressing and some antiseptic wound powder or cream. Polysporin works well.

Almost anything at the drug store that you can use on humans will work and will probably be cheaper than vet stuff. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have a vet nearby. Tell him it is for a serious scrape on your kids knee. Then tell him the truth - try not to laugh at the reaction!

Secure the dressing with a tape - do not wrap tight and prepare to change on a daily basis if it is weepy or obviously necessary.

Ask your vet for a sewing kit - and a bottle of aerosol spray freeze if he will sell it to you - forget the name - but it works for this type of sewing job. Easier than fighting a jumpy animal when sewing.

Keep a good razor handy to either shave around the wound, or cut off hanging skin. You need to catch this type of injury early if you are going to sew it up - not now from the sound of it - but for future use.

Almost any long acting or regular pen based product will be good for injections - do not go off label with the dose. Follow the directions on the bottle. Keep it up for a few days as per directions.

Never provided tetanus shots to any animal here but it may be necessary where you are. You folks all seem to talk about it a lot - totally foreign to me.

Put in barn and separate if you like - keep pair side by each and let suck a couple times a day. One day / one week - let them out - only you can decide that. They are tougher than you might think. On green grass is better than a barn any day.

Let it bleed - scab will form protection if you do not wrap it.

All basic stuff - time to ask the vet for an opportunity to "learn to sew" - most any I have met will give you some good advice. Got some spare time? Go watch him in action. Phone call is cheap. Don't ask - don't get.

Finally, you have already given it a good boost with cleaning and pen drug - so not too worry - it sounds like it is doing well.

Bez

Sounds like you are doing a good job with it. Wash out the wound with peroxide. You can get a product at most drug stores called povidone iodine. It is sort of sticky iodine. It will disinfect the wound and help hold it together. It works pretty good. I would get the tetnis shot for him since the source of the injury is unknown. Wrap it in bandage pads and tape and change it no less than every two days. Everyday if you can. I'd give him a good antibotic just for good measure. Their tough little boogers, keep the flys away and he'll be alright.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your replies! I feel much better and a little more confident that so far, we had done pretty much a good job. At least we've not caused more problems!!

I am going to call the vet this morning and see what they feel we should do at this point - and at least now I have several ideas of what questions to ask.

Also, I never thought about stitching the wound closed, which would have been probably the best thing to do at the time. I realize that it is now too late to do that, since it's been a week, but that will be something I will definitely keep in mind should something like this happen again.

Thanks again all...........VERY VERY MUCH!!!

If it has been a week and the wound is not infected - you can pretty much stop worrying about it - turn it out if it is "in prison" and leave it be.

This animal is well on the way to a full mend.

Bez

had one last year in fly time catch its foot under scales & tore a nasty gash. i gave a shot of la200 & sprayed with screw worm medicine & did the same three days later. then once in a while i would spray again if i could get close enough. it healed in time

we had a calf several years ago that had soars on her flank and down her right hind leg, and where her arm pits would be if she had any...couldnt figure it out we just found her in my dads pasture like that not hardly getting around, her momther would just leave her behind. so we got her up and took her to the vet..actually took her to two different vets, they werent for sure what it was...we we made up all different concoctions to put on her. of course it didnt hepl that she licked them till they would bleed, one she had licked down to the grissel on her hind leg. we doctored her everyday. we finally had good luck with washing the soars with betadine, and washing them off with the spray nozzel and water hose, letting them dry a bit, and mixing neosporine with cortizone cream and putting it on her......finally...she quit licking, and after it seemed like forever she healed up, everyone said to get rid of her, she will be stunted, she will never have a calf with as much medicine that she has had....blah blah blah but after all that we had been through with her we didn't want to. and now wanting to be one that said we told ya so...we now have a fine bull calf that will go to the sale barn in the next few weeks....so ya hang in there

NO Peroxide if it is a deep scrape. this will cause tissue to swell and make healing take longer. peroxide is for small cuts and scrapes.
I'm not a doctor but I play one at work-(Emergency Responce Tech.)

Depending on the nature of the calf, another possibility you may want to consider is soaking it with a solution of Epson Salts. Mix according to package directions, soak a cloth and apply to wound until cool, then repeat. Epson Salts will draw any infection, impurities, bacteria, etc out of the wound, then you can wrap according to directions from previous posters.

Update - calf is fine. Thank goodness! We kept her and mom in the barn 4 days. Cleaned the wound with betadine scrub solution two days. Tried the bandage and wrap - she had it around her ankle by the next evening. So, we left it off the next 3 days, but sprayed it with an over the counter wound dressing from the feed store....can't think of the name of it - but it was real smelly and kinda oily.

Finally on the last day in the barn, a scab was forming - and it wasn't bleeding! So we let them both out. That was a couple of days ago. As of this evening, she's doing great - running and jumping - no limping!! Unless you look close, you can't tell there was even a problem! It just looks like a little hair is missing, which is wonderful.

Thanks again so much for all the advise!!

Great job. Thanks for the update. So many times someone comes here and has a problem. After several remedys are suggested we never hear back if any of them worked for you.

Latest posts