Need advice on heard management

Help Support CattleToday:

GWhit

Reaction score
I appreciated all the advice you gave me on my question about the Angus source tags. I have a very small operation with 10 cows and a bull
and want to expand as I am able. However, I am wanting to manage the ones I have now to make as much as I possibly can. A recap of what I have is: A registered Angus bull and you name it on the cows. My question is, Would I be better off to start tring to cull out some of my cows alittle at a time with Registered Angus cows and try selling them through the paper, bargin post ect for possibly 2 or 300.00 more than what I am now getting through the sale barn for the calves? Also, I have a couple of black cows that are what I call trouble makers that I really want to cull out. They are always tring to push on the fences, tring to bust through the corral and anything they can do to be destructive. At the same time I have an older Herford that always delivers a great calf and never gives me a bit of trouble. Is this more of a breed issue or an attitude issue?
I live in Oklahome and would appreciate your advice on what I should try and achieve for a more uniform herd whether it be the Angus or even getting more Herford Cows for selling Black Baldies. Also What I should expect to pay for a good breeding age Cow whether it be Angus or Herford ect.
Thanks for the help and the advice!

If you are going to go with a top quality commercial herd, I would look for some real good hereford cows, the best you can buy, and breed them to Angus bulls to produce black baldies.

Thanks for the reply! Do you feel that the blackbaldies will bring more money at the sale than just cross bread calves? and if so how much on average?
Thanks!

GWhit":1uo2xd5e said:
Thanks for the reply! Do you feel that the blackbaldies will bring more money at the sale than just cross bread calves? and if so how much on average?
Thanks!
R ^ 5 could probaly answer this better than anyone else on the board, as he is dealing with feeders every day, and not sitting at a salebarn for a few hours one day every week or every few weeks.

GWhit

Also, I have a couple of black cows that are what I call trouble makers that I really want to cull out. They are always tring to push on the fences, tring to bust through the corral and anything they can do to be destructive.

Do yourself a real big favour and waste no time on getting the trouble makers out of the operation. Grief is one thing cows can provide plenty of - even when you have all good ones.

Sell them and replace them - even if you go down by one or two animals, it will not take long to make it up. The money and time you save on repairs and chasing will really make up the difference. Quality counts.

Are they pushing because of a feed issue? How much grass is available to them?

At the same time I have an older Herford that always delivers a great calf and never gives me a bit of trouble. Is this more of a breed issue or an attitude issue?

Folks here know I raise Horned Herefords - and I cross them to Black Angus most times. Heck of a combination that generally speaking causes no trouble. As to price - well that is a regional issue and I bow to R^5. Suggest you ask someone in your area or ask at a couple of local sale barns. In the end, quality will sell.

la4angus wrote:

If you are going to go with a top quality commercial herd, I would look for some real good hereford cows, the best you can buy, and breed them to Angus bulls to produce black baldies.

This is sound advice - especially if you are new to the business. Expansion is easy. Just do it slowly and save your pennies. Buy one real good animal over two average ones. If she is bred with a calf at side you are ahead of the game.

If you want to keep the Hereford line for crossing to black angus then AI a couple of them every year to hereford - then set those cows out with your black bull. If the AI takes you get a red whiteface. If it does not, you get your baldy. Not tough to tell when you see the final result.

If you are new to the game DO NOT buy heifers or bred heifers - go with second, third or better calvers. You now have a proven mom.

If you intend to go registered angus I have a question for you. Why?

Unless you intend to get into the breeding game - a tough business - you will send your calves to the same place the commercial guys do - and receive the same payment. Is it worth it? Personally I think not - but I am not you. Just take a close look at the cash outlay versus the cash coming home.

Profit in itself is not rocket science - money coming in has to exceed money going out.

Good luck and have fun.

Bez

Thanks for the replies!
As far as the pushing issues, they have plenty to eat. One of my trouble makers will even get her head underneath my Tublar cattle pannels that I use for a small corral as a feed lot and will try and lift it up to get to the feed. Only for want and not need. She has bent and ruined several large cattle pannels. I plan on selling her as a cow calf pair bred back. Do you feel this would be best or seperate them and just sell her bred back?
As far as experience with cattle, I shure have alot to learn but have learnt what I know now the hard way over the last 7 years or so. I started on my own with no experience wanting to get into the biz (or loss) :) and bought an older bred cow. we now have around 10 and a bull. Wish that was double but someday. We have had birthing issues before but have came out fairly good. Lost a large breech calf when I was in the hosipital and Last year we lost a heifer that we raised from a calf. I have always waited until my young heifers were two before breeding, To manny that is too long I guess but I thought the extra size on her was worth it for less problems. But Last year the calf came two quick and she turned inside out. I checked her early that morning and she had no sign of dilating or ozzing or anything. A couple of hours later, a calf was on the ground and she was in my pond and in trouble. Before I could call the vet she was dead. That loss (almost a three year wait) was a killer and decided to not keep any more of my heifers and just buy atleast a first or second time heifer.
Lastly, with my small operation I realize it would be difficult or impossible to get into the breeding buisness with pure breds. I was only tring to look at my options to try and increase my profit margine alittle. Not knowing if I could get a better return if my cows were Reg. Angus as well as my bull.
I appreciate all of your advice!

Latest posts