Need a Hereford heifer bull recomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl,

What distributor are you getting semen from?

If you are going ABS - Rib Eye would be my first choice - Progress my second choice. Progress should be smaller calves but Rib Eye should be fine also unless the heifers are really small. The good news is the 767G bull was a trait leader for Maternal calving ease so the heifers should be off to a good start.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... &11=5E515D

My personal vote on a great heifer bull is THM Durango - vigorous calves with lots of get up and grow to them, the thick butts he puts on the calves and the outstanding momma cow will make him a bull you will continue to hear more about. Unfortunately he's probably not readily available to you unless you want to pay shipping fees on such short notice.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2=43425A5A

If you will be going with a different semen distributor let us know which one.

Best of Luck!

I kind of like the bull pictured above.

I'm guessing that about any of these bulls mentioned are going to have acceptable growth, as you are talking a little genetic kick in an outcross of the polled bull and horned heifer.

If you throw horned bulls back into the mix, I think Churchill Yankee would make a good choice.

Farmgirl":1m8749aw said:
I am asking for a friend. He has 4 heifers that are sired by a horned Hereford bull that ABS used to have. His name was Advance 767G, I think. Need a recommendation on a calving-ease Hereford bull to use on them. He is happy with the growth of the heifers and the milking ability of their mothers. They are not registered but purebred. He prefers a polled bull.

Thanks for your help.

Farmgirl

My 2 cents....You (he) is dealing with 4 none registered heifers to AI. My opinion is to use Feltons Legend 242. Here's why, he is a very easy, proven calving ease bull, his semen is easily available through Genex (no shipping, although if CIDR's are in it may be too short of a time period to get semen and bred). While I have some Progress semen in my tank, he does not have the calves on the ground that 242 has, so not the proven calving ease record (but I like him enough to be in my tank). Same for Rib Eye, I have his semen but not he proven bull for the 4 heifers you are (your freind) is wanting bred. 242 is on the extreme lower end of the BW scale but that's what is wanted. Lots of good, easy calving Hereford bulls out there, but 242 is a by the straw, easy to get bull (the semen is priced at $25). Good luck.

JMO,
Alan

dun":1r8huimc said:
redfornow":1r8huimc said:
Were are you getting your 774 semen at?

Not sure if it was from Bent Tree or from TnValleymusic. I had a friend of mine bring it to me when he was down that way and have asked him where he got it. For a while I was getting it from ABS but that source has apparantly dried up.

I'm sure you meant Tennessee River Music instead of Valley -- they do own part of Kudzu.

I would look at both SHF Progress and SHF Ribeye.

Progress calves come easy, are moderate framed, deep and soggy, easy keeping type of cattle. In my opinion they are the type of cattle that commercial men would love to have. You will get some horns, and most are short on pigment. Most, however, seem to have good eye sets and good lashes which some would say is more important.

Ribeye calves have a little more growth, but he still retains a great calving BW. I saw him at Kevins again this last August and he is a great bull. He isn't what I would call a typical heifer bull in his make up. He is long, probably a 6 frame bull, and has really good muscle expression. His calves have good eye sets, and most are pigmented, some goggled.

Both bulls will work well on heifers, if you are wanting to have a chance at cutting down on some of the horn then Ribeye would be the best bull to use. I have seen progress 2 year olds with calves, they are tight uddered, deep, and very functional for todays market. Give Kevin a call, very nice guy to talk with, and he will answer any questions you might have.

Both bulls will work well on heifers, if you are wanting to have a chance at cutting down on some of the horn then Ribeye would be the best bull to use.

Rib Eye is also heterozygous polled so theoretically you'll get equal numbers horned calves out them when used on horned females.

Matt, you don't have any other photos of Rib Eye that you can share by any chance? I have seen those on the ABS website.

KNERSIE":1sc20c1s said:
Both bulls will work well on heifers, if you are wanting to have a chance at cutting down on some of the horn then Ribeye would be the best bull to use.

Rib Eye is also heterozygous polled so theoretically you'll get equal numbers horned calves out them when used on horned females.

Matt, you don't have any other photos of Rib Eye that you can share by any chance? I have seen those on the ABS website.

knersie

Kevin has newer photo on his website My first horned Ribeye was out of a Progress heifer.

Jeff

SHF RIB EYE
ribeye.jpg

ribeyeside.jpg

I believe they just got him back from stud earlier this summer, so he was probably a little wore out. I know he was run with at least some heifers, but I don't know the extent of his natural use this summer for sure. (my guess is it was a bunch)

I own CL 1 DOMINO 3147N he is a horned hereford bull, I am using him on commercial Hereford cows. He is a full brother to CL 1 DOMINO 212M the top selling bull at Coopers 2003 sale selling for $54,000.00 for 3/4 interest. He is a true calving ease bull. I do have semen available. John Martino 719-240-7511 [email protected]

oakcreekfarms":139zexu2 said:
SHF RIB EYE
ribeye.jpg

ribeyeside.jpg

I believe they just got him back from stud earlier this summer, so he was probably a little wore out. I know he was run with at least some heifers, but I don't know the extent of his natural use this summer for sure. (my guess is it was a bunch)

Knersie, in this picture of Ribeye, is that wide eye spacing and set farther to the back of the skull what you are looking for?

Latest posts