Need a Hereford heifer bull recomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
I am asking for a friend. He has 4 heifers that are sired by a horned Hereford bull that ABS used to have. His name was Advance 767G, I think. Need a recommendation on a calving-ease Hereford bull to use on them. He is happy with the growth of the heifers and the milking ability of their mothers. They are not registered but purebred. He prefers a polled bull.

Thanks for your help.

Farmgirl

I would recommend using TRM Kudzu. He throws really nice and powerful calves and he has a 3.0 CED. He consistently throws calves in the 60-70 pound range and they end up growing like crazy.

Last time I checked, Feltons Legend 242 had a calving ease of +10 or so, and breed average growth, and good carcass numbers. MSU MF Hudson 19H would be another I like. I've owned two of his grandsons, and never pulled a calf.

I don;t know who carrys the semen, I got mine from GA. Feltons Domino 774 has been my goto Polled Hereford bull for both heifers and cows. A little smaller mature frame size then most of the other Herefords with good width and depth that grade well on the rail. Heifers also make excellent cows.

dun":2o3ahpt0 said:
I don;t know who carrys the semen, I got mine from GA. Feltons Domino 774 has been my goto Polled Hereford bull for both heifers and cows. A little smaller mature frame size then most of the other Herefords with good width and depth that grade well on the rail. Heifers also make excellent cows.

I agree on 774, just that his semen is very limited, doubt it will still be that freely available.

Legend 242 is a proven calving ease bull, Last time I checked Kudzu's BW EPD was >3. He started out much lower if I remember correctly. Does anyone have Kudzu calves on the ground that would be willing to share a few pics?

If you are going to use ABS try shf progress

I used him on a couple cows this year just to get a feel? He is a 242 son.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Red,
Progress was the one who stood out to me. Looks like his CETM is better than Legend, his sire.

This gentleman in putting the CIDRs in today so he is on a tight schedule with this.

Farmgirl

Although 242 (progress sire) calves never seem to grow for me?
They always come easy, I expect progress will do the same. I am hoping for alittle more growth?
For me they get to about 350 lbs and just stall?

Oakcreek has used progress and knows kevin shutz also maybe he will weigh in?

Overall I think you will be happy.

dun":1g4qtp7g said:

Dun have you used h119 from abs?

The calves are coming alittle heavier than I would have thought?
No problems yet but heavy calves 85-100 for heifers?
Interesting? Could just be me?

redfornow":1vaq00l3 said:
dun":1vaq00l3 said:

I used him in the past. Calves were a little heavier, 5 pounds or so, not a big deal. What I don;t like is the fertility of his daughters. I would put it somewhere between poor and really sucks. The 774 daughters seem to just have to look at the semen tank and they are pregnant. But I will say that the H119 calves are almost too dog gentle where at least you can herd the 774 calves.

dun":2dq4qzr4 said:
redfornow":2dq4qzr4 said:
dun":2dq4qzr4 said:

I used him in the past. Calves were a little heavier, 5 pounds or so, not a big deal. What I don;t like is the fertility of his daughters. I would put it somewhere between poor and really sucks. The 774 daughters seem to just have to look at the semen tank and they are pregnant. But I will say that the H119 calves are almost too dog gentle where at least you can herd the 774 calves.

Thats what I am seeing. No problems but alittle extra pounds.
The calves are very gentle.... easier to band em....

Were are you getting your 774 semen at?

redfornow":1laulo4v said:

Not sure if it was from Bent Tree or from TnValleymusic. I had a friend of mine bring it to me when he was down that way and have asked him where he got it. For a while I was getting it from ABS but that source has apparantly dried up.

dun":30cpy4y1 said:
redfornow":30cpy4y1 said:

Not sure if it was from Bent Tree or from TnValleymusic. I had a friend of mine bring it to me when he was down that way and have asked him where he got it. For a while I was getting it from ABS but that source has apparantly dried up.

How long ago was that?
I am looking for some. What did you pay?

redfornow":2njeduza said:
How long ago was that?

The last I got was around 2 years ago. Don;t recall what I paid at the time. I just got the contact information, might want to give it a try:
774 semen we got last time
was stored at Genex in Fort Payne, Alabama. The guy I contacted about
it was Dave Roberts, Bent Tree Farms (256) 845-3009.

Here is a bull that you might want to consider. I have used a lot of the popular AI bulls and I have had the best luck with him siring small calves with vigor that consistantly have the thickness and rib shape that I need.

SSS_Mackintosh_023200014.JPG

He is SSS 9903 Mackintosh 117D. Reg # 42340528. He has been used naturally in a commercial Angus herd and then I purchased him back. Commercial angus heifers had calves by him with excellent results this spring.

SSS_Mackintosh_02320001.JPG

Here is a hind quarter pic of him.

Upload_1226070005.JPG

Picture of him wintering on cornstalks with the cows. He is in his working clothes.

If you are interested I would be more than competetive with semen on him. I have lots of calves on the ground out of first calf heifers and could get some pictures.

Brian

dun":2w0agpki said:
redfornow":2w0agpki said:
How long ago was that?

The last I got was around 2 years ago. Don;t recall what I paid at the time. I just got the contact information, might want to give it a try:
774 semen we got last time
was stored at Genex in Fort Payne, Alabama. The guy I contacted about
it was Dave Roberts, Bent Tree Farms (256) 845-3009.

Last I knew the 774 semen was only for commerical use and you couldn't register calves out of him. I might be wrong. By the way, I know Dave and he's a good guy. The bull I posted pictures of earlier this season is actually a 774 son he got from BTF.

I would use Progress over Ledgend. My calves averaged 50 lbs out of Progress last spring plus a pair of 44 lb twins. These were all heifres. G06 Progress's mother may be one of my favorite cows that Kevin has ever raised at Sandhill Farms. Until this year I was not sold on progress but I can say that the calves grew well this year. I ended up castrating one of the bull calves be cause I did not think he was going to do anything special I would like to have that decision to make again.

Jeff

Latest posts