navel treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
since my bred cows started to calve, i tried to get close to the new born calf to place iodine. by mother nature defense, the calf got spook and took off. he cleverly hop or walk through five wires of four point barb wires. during that day, it rain heavily, and the grass and ground were muddy. by emulating the calf through the barb wire, i did not successfully make it and lost my putting. look all over for the calf in my four section of pastures but no luck.

what puzzled me is that the cow did not ball for several days or walk endlessly along the fence in search of her new calf. i assumed that the coyote took her or the mother is hiding her. i was not able to check her udder for two weeks since i work in the city. by friday's afternoon, i saw the cow standing along the fence near the creek for several hours and repeated on saturday. by mid-saturday, the calf was stood up on the other side of the fence, next to the creek with long grass for him to hide. boy, was i happy since he was my first calf to see being calve. he has healthy conformation.

anyway, i gave up placing iodine since they are being calve in the pasture. i know that the pasture is pretty clean and not in the mud or in the barn where the manures. I clean the stall every week, and cow are usually in the pasture except feeding time. these bred cows are hardly in the barn except for water or only feeding time at early evening-less manure to clean and more fertilizer in the pastures.

from this incident, the cows are very protective in their new calves and some are hiding their new calves. eventually, when the new moms and new calves are mixing together, it is a beautiful sights to behold. seeing them nursing with their mom, it is a great pleasure and fun. seeing the little blank angus calves hopping or running around, they are beautiful. :)

Latest posts