Best lice treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got some lice to deal with on a few animals, which probably means everyone. I've dusted them a couple times with some Python dust from TSC. Should I keep doing this or is there a better way? I haven't spring wormed them yet if that matters.

True Grit Farms":3qrdeozp said:
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/product/cattle/Ultra-Boss-Pour-On-Insecticide/1
Put some Ultra Boss on some first calf heifers a couple weeks back.Doing real well,so far.Will get the rest soon as I can.

Ultra Boss pour on all, then two weeks later Ultra Sabre on all, is what we just did.

sim.-ang.king":31pargrt said:
Ivomec pour on is cheap, and works good on lice.

I think they are putting vitamins and protein in Ivomec now. We did our whole herd twice this winter and everything is hairless. Switching to BOSS now. The ones we did 2 weeks ago quit scratching a few days later.

Thinking we will get reimbursed for the generic Ivomec and for the time we put them through 2 extra runs.

gcreekrch":2c8nsjm1 said:
sim.-ang.king":2c8nsjm1 said:

I think they are putting vitamins and protein in Ivomec now. We did our whole herd twice this winter and everything is hairless. Switching to BOSS now. The ones we did 2 weeks ago quit scratching a few days later.

Thinking we will get reimbursed for the generic Ivomec and for the time we put them through 2 extra runs.

Did everything once with Ivomec pour-on in November and not a single one scratching all winter. Used injectable year before and everything was scratching.

gcreekrch":1p95w4u8 said:
sim.-ang.king":1p95w4u8 said:

Thinking we will get reimbursed for the generic Ivomec and for the time we put them through 2 extra runs.[/quote]

What happened? A guy at the Coop whom I have a lot of confidence in told me the Noremectrin pour on was great stuff and I was reluctant to buy it but am about to treat the whole herd with it.

Aaron":1w969b4m said:
Did everything once with Ivomec pour-on in November and not a single one scratching all winter. Used injectable year before and everything was scratching.

The injectable I have used is not recommended for lice.
The pour ons I have used recommend 2 lice treatments a couple weeks apart.
Pour on once only timing seems to be a key for effectiveness. Tradition here is to wait for "cold weather."
I have poured them right after frost took out the pasture worms, and they started to scratch in February. So i ended up two treatments about 4 months apart in that case.

I think a medium cost chemical rotation for heavy users is a cheap pour on in the fall, Safeguard for retained calves after weaning, dusting cows at mid winter for lice only, and then a good long term wormer for everyone at spring turn out.

shaz":2lecmqnf said:
gcreekrch":2lecmqnf said:
sim.-ang.king":2lecmqnf said:

Thinking we will get reimbursed for the generic Ivomec and for the time we put them through 2 extra runs.[/quote]

What happened? A guy at the Coop whom I have a lot of confidence in told me the Noremectrin pour on was great stuff and I was reluctant to buy it but am about to treat the whole herd with it.

20 years ago, we did them once a year and it was enough. Last 10 years we have treated them twice per year, preg test and pre calving. Always have believed it was better to overdose than use too little. This year was a wreck and I'm hearing many are experiencing the same thing.
We are treating with a product called BOSS now. The feeder heifers we did 2 weeks ago quit rubbing and scratching almost immediately.

Boss has the same active ingredient the old Lice-Off had in it.

Latest posts