Naval Infection

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckBenham

Reaction score
Just bought 10 Brahman heifers about 450 - 500 pounds each and after looking them over discovered that one of them has what looks like a knot in her naval. It looks like a swelling about 6 inches or so long and couple of inches in diameter. We gave her a series of big shots of anti-biotics for a few days in a row but the swelling didn't go away. It doesn't seem to bother her, she is right in there with the others for the food. Just wondering what you folks would suggest.
Buck

have you tried lanceing it???? if that doesn't work, i'd try calling your local vet. maybe he (or better yet SHE) will have some ideas for you! ;-)

If you lance it and her guts fall out on the ground, it is a hernia like Big D suggested. ;-)

LT

Yes, I thought of that, afraid to go to cutting. Think I'll just watch it and if it doesn't get bigger or look like it is hurting, I'll just leave it alone.
Thanks,
Buck

Befor you just go cutting probe the are with a needle. Around the navel like mike said is usually a hernea. But even if it were an abcess. They are not always ready to be lanced. I would give the advise to try other methods of treatment befor I jsut went cutting.

Scotty

Sounds like a umbilical hernia...don't lance it! Is it painful to the touch, or warm, solid or free moving...I'd keep an eye on it and see if it changes condition.....DMc

Typical in Brahman cattle.

As long as she eating with the others and doesn't seem to be sick, I'd leave her alone. Don't lance it either.. been there, done that, lost a heifer after experimenting.

A hernia wouldn't be in her navel area, it would be closer to her udder.

Call your vet! I had a 10 month old calf that had an apparent naval infection that traveled and ruptured the intestine. Never showed any symptoms or acted sick, ate fine. I just happened to notice something didn't look right. Got him into the pen one evening too dark to work with him and by the next day it had ruptured with undigested grass leaking out. The vet said it'd cost more to fix than he was worth and recommended I take him to be processed pronto before it was a total loss! Which I did. Even after the rupture he never acted sick.

Latest posts