Cow Infection Post-Partum

Help Support CattleToday:

dbird33

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer that got pretty infected after having a calf. I believe most of the infection is from buzzards pecking on the heifer while she was down. Buzzards killed the calf. The reason for the post is I am turning bulls out now and am trying to decide whether to sell her or try and breed. She appears to be clear of infection now, but at one point she had an odd presentation of infection that I have never seen before. Has anyone seen anything like the photo below? My main concern would be spreading some sort of virus or bacterial infection through the herd.

Nesikep said:
all i see looks like mud

There are bubbles or pockets of what I assume were pus that went down after an additional treatment of LA 300. The vet hadn't seen anything like it at the time. They appeared after a few antibiotic treatments, then went away after a final round.

Kind of looks like warts. Since your vet saw & presumably treated the heifer I would ask his/her opinion. May be worth a 2nd chance. Cull prices are extremely low right now; friend of mine sold an open 3 year old & was shocked she sold as a cull.

Latest posts