Eye infection, tumo/cancer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rocketman

Reaction score
started as a mild infection in the lower eyelid skin, tried some treatments , so far no effect
sorry for my english, am not from the states.

vets here some say it's an infection, and some like an external skin tumor. i have no idea what to do.

[image]432[/image]
[image]431[/image]

It looks like cancer. Talk with your vets about surgery, otherwise have her butchered before it gets worse.

Cancer. She needs to die ASAP. You might do well if you sell her for kill, with the state of the burger market now.

Looks like a cancerous tumor. Before it gets weepy and bloody, she needs to be killed. We did operate on one cow that had a 3 week calf and it did fine but reoccurred several years later and we had to put her down. She wasn't supposed to get rebred, but did, raised another real nice calf and we kept her but in the end had to put her down because when it did re-occur it was fast and messy.
The buyers will probably not discount her much now, but will if it opens up and gets messy, they will rejuect her. The meat will be fine if you just want her for yourself for burger too.

I agree with the rest, it cancer. Now as far as time line goes you've got some wiggle room. Is the cow bred? If so how far along? The calf she is carrying is probably worth more than she is.
It doesn't look like it's affecting her eye ball yet, so she probably isn't suffering any yet.
I have cut away all the external tumor before. It's a bloody mess, but all superficial. She won't bleed enough to hurt her. It bought us an extra six months. That cow weaned a calf then we sent her to slaughter. With very little external showing she sold just like any other cow.They didn't condemn her.

Don't worry about the pregnancy, just unload her. Take note of what Aaron says in particular. He is a Hereford breeder and knows these situations well.

Ken

I agree with what wbvs58 said, "Don't worry about the pregnancy, just unload her". If it was me, I'd send her to the auction. I've made the wrong decision on a similar situation before.

Latest posts