Natural Service pregnancy rates

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
If you turned out your cows with one bull per 30 head, what percentage would you expect to be pregnant during the first 21 days? And what percent in the first 2 heats?

If the cows calved in a similar timeframe and are atleast 45 days post partum and in a rising plane of condition I'd expect 75-80% to be bred in one cycle and all of them in two, if the bull is worth his salt and had a previous breeding season behind him. Young yearling bulls tend to fall in love with a cow and end up spending too much time on her. (Come to think of it not too different from teenage boys)

There are to many variables to give an accurate answer.
Consider this: If a cow cycles every twenty-one days and he has thirty to cover, that's more than one a day and on some days it will be four or five. If he has to walk very far from cow to cow or if he isn't getting enough nutrition then you've got a disaster on your hands.
Breed will also play a BIG role. I've seen firsthand a brangus bull mixed with five angus bulls put a set of ears on half the calves in a pasture.

plumber_greg":2jia1pj3 said:
80% on first heat, 100% on second. Gotta' keep condition on cows prior to breeding to do this. gs

Neighbor ran a small herd of about 10 Sh x hereford cows. They would always have good condition. He rented a bull and pulled it after 3 weeks. Always claimed 100%.

Thanks for the responses. I am reconsidering whether or not AI is worth the time and money, but we didn't really start calving in a controlled season until we started AI, so I was having some difficulty with coming up with a good calculation.

Latest posts