National Vietnam War Veterans Day

Help Support CattleToday:

They/y'all have my respect and appreciation as well. I won't get into the politics of Vietnam, but so many of those lives lost could have been avoided. And possibly all of them. From the stories I've heard, I can even begin to fathom what kind of heII that must have been.

Want some insight into how Vietnam progressed, read McMaster, Dereliction of Duty. Very insightful
book and explains LBJ sacrificing US lives to be sure preserves his social programs. This war will always be controversial, but this book po'd me as the bean counters figured X numbers lives ok, if congress would approve LBJ social
programs.

wlamarparmer said:
Want some insight into how Vietnam progressed, read McMaster, Dereliction of Duty. Very insightful
book and explains LBJ sacrificing US lives to be sure preserves his social programs. This war will always be controversial, but this book po'd me as the bean counters figured X numbers lives ok, if congress would approve LBJ social
programs.
War has always been processed and prosecuted in that manner. D-Day, had a set number of 'acceptable' casualties, the Sicily invasion, and the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands did as well.
FDR and Truman both signed off on those 'acceptable loss' numbers, but both were worried about how it might affect their political futures.

My ex served and he was never the same. His mother told me how many "little things" were different when he came home. I married him after he got home, I was younger. Took all I could for 7 years and had to get out because he refused to get any help for what I now understand was PTSD. His second wife had a rough row for 25 years then took another way out. He still has major issues and I feel bad for him. But he did his duty and I respect him for that.

Latest posts