Name Calling and Political Correctness

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
Name calling got out of hand in the thread, "Can I get a Roll Tide!!!!!". Slurs, derogatory terms and crude name calling is sometimes unintentional. It is due to bad information. For example, the term Redneck is a derogatory term to many hillbillies.

I think an understanding of the term "Hillbilly" might prevent future hard feelings.

In Kentucky, my mom always said we was hillbillies. Not Rednecks. She said Rednecks were rude and ill-mannered. So she didn't like people calling us rednecks. She said we was just a little better than a Tennessee "brier-hopper". Then, if you go further south from Tennessee, one is likely to encounter more Rednecks. Now that was what she said. Don't blame me, that was my dear departed ma talking.

Now here is my way of thinking:

This may not be politically-correct but it was how I was taught growing up. I think of hillbillies as being good-natured, simple, backward folks. Salt of the earth as they say.  So Hillbilly is not a derogatory term.  On the other hand, Redneck is the same as a racial slur. Do not call a proud HILLBILLY a Redneck. Because a redneck is usually stupid and racist.  Personally, I rarely use the term Redneck as I consider it racist.

Now brier-hopper is about the same as a Kentucky Hillbilly. Maybe just a bitty lower in class.

You guys up in Ohio should not get too big-headed. A lot of hillbillies have been moving into Ohio since way before the depression.

I embrace the term redneck.
It's is a term of a country type person who gets his hand dirty and works for a living that doesn't identify with city loafer wearing squat to pee fag type men
I embrace the term redneck.

We hunt, fish, go mudding, BBQ ,drink beer around the fire.
We are salt of the earth type people.
We love our country and will fight to defend it
Listen to some Jason Aldean and you get the picture

I'm a redneck and then some but I see nothing wrong with being called one makes me proud. Is there such a thing as a liberal redneck? I know there's such a thing as a liberal hillbilly.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/isLqoB3v_wI [/youtube]

https://g.co/kgs/5R3oTK

I worked all week.
Cleaned up, clean cut, and clean shaved.
I got the cover off the '68.
I fired it up, and let them horses sing.
A little pretty thing.
A little tan leg Georgia dream.
She's a rockin' them holey jeans.
Baby, what you got goin' on Saturday?
You know, words got it, there's gonna be a party,
Out of town about half a mile.
Four wheel drives and big mud tires.
Muscadine wine
Oh baby, you can find me.
In the back of a jacked up tailgate.
Sittin' 'round watchin' all these pretty things.
Get down in that Georgia clay
And I'll find peace.
At the bottom of a real tall cold drink.
Chillin' with some Skynyrd and some old Hank.
Let's get this thing started.
It's my kinda party.

Read more: Jason Aldean - My Kinda Party Lyrics | MetroLyrics

john250":26wpgq0c said:
I don't know who called you names, but Buckeye's think they are god's gifts. ignore them.

No. Just having fun. I live on the border here with Ohio. They are just as hillbilly as we are.

True Grit Farms":1v29f7c6 said:
I'm a redneck and then some but I see nothing wrong with being called one makes me proud. Is there such a thing as a liberal redneck? I know there's such a thing as a liberal hillbilly.

On a serious approach to this thread, which it is hard to imagine it having one, it would be difficult to define Redneck. It has been my perception and this is not based on research, that a Redneck is crude and ill mannered in comparison to rural country people. Most older generation rural country folks frowned on cussing, foul talk, dishonest behavior and rudness. I was indoctrinated with the perception that a redneck was anyone city or country who misbehaved. Being liberal or conservative, has nothing to do with it as I was taught.

Well I'm hardly country from Oklahoma lol. Seriously though I was just going to make a post about etiquette here, a lot of times ppl associate with generalizations. Whether it be race, sex, generation, etc. I take nothing personal here and hope no one else does. Sometimes myself or others may come across too direct or objective, but are here for the good of the group (hopefully). Right?

I have never really embraced the term redneck or hillbilly. In this area, nowadays there is an urban/rural divide. In some situations rural people and their way of life are not only misunderstood but looked down on. When someone that isn't a farmer or has no experience with farm life makes reference to the word hillbilly or redneck, it makes me cringe, because usually it is used in a derogatory manner.

RanchMan90":ybewwbnk said:
Well I'm hardly country from Oklahoma lol. Seriously though I was just going to make a post about etiquette here, a lot of times ppl associate with generalizations. Whether it be race, sex, generation, etc. I take nothing personal here and hope no one else does. Sometimes myself or others may come across too direct or objective, but are here for the good of the group (hopefully). Right?

Don't accuse me of being here for the good of the group. :D

Ky hills":32f6yw28 said:
I have never really embraced the term redneck or hillbilly. In this area, nowadays there is an urban/rural divide. In some situations rural people and their way of life are not only misunderstood but looked down on. When someone that isn't a farmer or has no experience with farm life makes reference to the word hillbilly or redneck, it makes me cringe, because usually it is used in a derogatory manner.

I have always been playful with the term hillbilly. And I was only having fun with my TN and southern brothers.

However, you are correct. Some folks use those terms in a mean spirited way.

Margonme":2vimxute said:
RanchMan90":2vimxute said:

Don't accuse me of being here for the good of the group. :D
Ha. For stirring the pot and spirited debate right? Jk I think we understand each other

Hurlkeyjd: I'm glad you asked. As usual this urban hillbilly knows everything!! haha. According to a TV documentary, hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus, the term redneck has a proud and noble beginning.
In the 1930's coal miners in West Virginia were trying to unionize. Much of the state had accomplished it but the mine owners at the town of Matawan strongly resisted the union movement and held their workers and the town as virtual slaves.
Union miners from around the state decided to march to Matawan and support their comrades. Mine owners hired goons to confront them. Knowing violence was coming, the union guys tied red bandanas around their necks as as type of uniform and show of solidarity.
There is an XLNT film about this starring Tom Scarratt as the sheriff of Matawan and James Earl Jones as a miner and union supporter. Highly recommend it. Film is "Matawan" Matawan is pronounced MATE WAN.

There's rednecks, then there's also the good ol' boys. Though similar, they are distinctly different.

The redneck spends his Sunday drinking beer and fishing. The GOB spends his Sunday going to church, then drinking beer and fishing.

The redneck drives around at a high rate of speed, straightening the curves and flattening the hills, pitching beer cans and bottles in yards. The GOB drives around at a normal or slightly lower rate of speed, tossing his cans or bottles in the road ditch where they won't be seen.

The redneck has a chip on his shoulder and will fight at the drop of a hat. He always has something to prove. The GOB has nothing to prove. He'll do everything in his power to avoid a fight. When backed in a corner, however, he'll stomp a mudhole in the redneck's butt 99 times out of a hundred.

These are just a few ways to tell these two similar species apart.

Margonme":1pavqqt0 said:
Name calling got out of hand in the thread, "Can I get a Roll Tide!!!!!". Slurs, derogatory terms and crude name calling is sometimes unintentional. It is due to bad information. For example, the term Redneck is a derogatory term to many hillbillies.

I think an understanding of the term "Hillbilly" might prevent future hard feelings.

In Kentucky, my mom always said we was hillbillies. Not Rednecks. She said Rednecks were rude and ill-mannered. So she didn't like people calling us rednecks. She said we was just a little better than a Tennessee "brier-hopper". Then, if you go further south from Tennessee, one is likely to encounter more Rednecks. Now that was what she said. Don't blame me, that was my dear departed ma talking.

Now here is my way of thinking:

This may not be politically-correct but it was how I was taught growing up. I think of hillbillies as being good-natured, simple, backward folks. Salt of the earth as they say.  So Hillbilly is not a derogatory term.  On the other hand, Redneck is the same as a racial slur. Do not call a proud HILLBILLY a Redneck. Because a redneck is usually stupid and racist.  Personally, I rarely use the term Redneck as I consider it racist.

Now brier-hopper is about the same as a Kentucky Hillbilly. Maybe just a bitty lower in class.

You guys up in Ohio should not get too big-headed. A lot of hillbillies have been moving into Ohio since way before the depression.

I'm mostly quoting you because you choose to start this.
I embrace the term red neck. Which was originally tagged to outdoor labors because of their sunburnt neck and faces. If your like I'll send you a picture of me shirtless. A red neck works hard , plays hard and yes he will fight hard. Especially if you insult his wife, his mom, his kids or his dog. The term has gotten mixed into the rural white trash community.
Now a cedar break , is lower form of red neck. Camps out in the pastures of large hill country ranches cutting post and hauling them to the post yard to sell. Usually in a non registered truck and trailer. But he still works for a living.
No red neck would ever accept help from the government, or give help to the government. He will be among the first in line to fight for his country though.

A good precentage of redness, including my own family. Migrated to Texas from Kentucky before Texas was a state. They fought off the Comanche and a powerful Mexican army with practically no help from the US. Government.
Hillbilly are thought of as the cowardly inbreds that stayed behind. Mostly making and drinking moonshine and growing tobacco.

Clodhopper":3fw81oi1 said:
There's rednecks, then there's also the good ol' boys. Though similar, they are distinctly different.

The redneck spends his Sunday drinking beer and fishing. The GOB spends his Sunday going to church, then drinking beer and fishing.

The redneck drives around at a high rate of speed, straightening the curves and flattening the hills, pitching beer cans and bottles in yards. The GOB drives around at a normal or slightly lower rate of speed, tossing his cans or bottles in the road ditch where they won't be seen.

The redneck has a chip on his shoulder and will fight at the drop of a hat. He always has something to prove. The GOB has nothing to prove. He'll do everything in his power to avoid a fight. When backed in a corner, however, he'll stomp a mudhole in the redneck's butt 99 times out of a hundred.

These are just a few ways to tell these two similar species apart.

Clodhopper- You nailed it. That is exactly how my dear old mommy taught me. Bless her heart. She was born in 1922 and saw it all. Lived to be 93.

Interesting. Mom called our shoes - clod hoppers. She would say: Ronnie get your clodhoppers on and throw out the slopwater.

We did not have indoor plumbing. So a slop bucket set under the kitchen sink. When it got full, you carried it out a dumped it in the garden.

Latest posts