My tractor is trying to tell me something

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I had the right front rim crack on my Ford 6710. It has a front end loader, and I use it to move bales and work with a bucket as well. This past week the left rim cracked and "imploded"; pulling itself off of the hub. Is the tractor trying to tell me that I'm lifting too much weight, or maybe I need bigger rims/tires? I currently have 7.5-16's on the front. The rims are 5" wide rims. Could this be too small? This is a 2 wheel drive tractor, but with a bale on the front end loader and one on the back, it's loaded doen bringing hay to the cows. It doesn't bog down, though, and pulls a 15' batwing with no problems.

By the way; If anyone remembers this tractor- it's the one with the hydraulic leak/transfer box - it turns out that the last person to rebuild it did a poor job and put the wrong size o rings and did not assemble it correctly. Hence the constant leaking. Since then, the hydraulics have been fine!

You are overloading. If you fix the wheel problem, you'll start to break hubs. If you fix the hubs you'll break spindles. I forget your make and model, but 2wds are usually not made for the weight of a loader under farm conditions--plowing through mudholes, hard rutted cow paths, that sort of stuff.
I had a loader on a Ford 4000, and rebuilt the whole front end a couple times. I still have it. Without a loader it is a very useful tractor.

I disagree with John on this one as we ran 2 wd drives tractors for yrs I only bought my first 4wd about 6 yrs ago and we always had loaders on our 2wds and we loaded and fed a few 1000 bales a hay per yr with them

I would put 10.00-16s on your 6710 as most 6610s and 7710s around her have the 10.00 tires on them especially if they have a loader

also check and make sure your lug nuts are staying tight I had a 2wd that kept breaking wheels and to fix the problem I changed the hubs as the studs were getting loose and making the wheels break

When I was still earning a paycheck I found it advantageous to have spare front tires for the tractors. They seemed to find it amusing to go flat at inopportune times. Had a rim from an old haybine that happened to fit my 2350. It was a 15 inch rim instead of a 16 but that little tilt really didn't matter in a pinch.

Long story short. Eventually the rim cracked and split on the bead. It was obviously a much lighter rim than what is on the tractor. One could just be an anomaly, but two......I'd have to say they are to light for what you are doing with them. Haven't had any other tractor rims split but this wasn't a tractor rim.

TractorData lists it with several different size rims...Could be you are doing heavy duty work with a light duty tractor?

cypressfarms":3504piyz said:
About a year and a half ago I had the right front rim crack on my Ford 6710. It has a front end loader, and I use it to move bales and work with a bucket as well. This past week the left rim cracked and "imploded"; pulling itself off of the hub. Is the tractor trying to tell me that I'm lifting too much weight, or maybe I need bigger rims/tires? I currently have 7.5-16's on the front. The rims are 5" wide rims. Could this be too small? This is a 2 wheel drive tractor, but with a bale on the front end loader and one on the back, it's loaded doen bringing hay to the cows. It doesn't bog down, though, and pulls a 15' batwing with no problems.

By the way; If anyone remembers this tractor- it's the one with the hydraulic leak/transfer box - it turns out that the last person to rebuild it did a poor job and put the wrong size o rings and did not assemble it correctly. Hence the constant leaking. Since then, the hydraulics have been fine!
Now would be a good time to check out the airplane tires. I put new ones on my tractor and their great. New wheel, 16ply. tire mounted and filled with sealent. $118.00 each. Ordered them on Monday and they were delivered to my front door Tuesday before noon.
Genso Aircraft Tires, Anniston, Alabama. #256-236-5400 Fax #254-236-5454 And no more flats.
~Tom

Angus Cowman":118yxw0s said:
I would put 10.00-16s on your 6710 as most 6610s and 7710s around her have the 10.00 tires on them especially if they have a loader

I think that's what my 7600 has on it, they're wide and fairly short compared to some of my other tires. I've had a loader on that tractor since I've owned it and they've done well.

The airplane tires kerley mentioned are interesting, but I've never messed with them.

More importantly, if you've got a roll on the front, just take your time.

I had two tractors with 7.5" front tires... which are OK when it is dry. I think it comes down to how fast you operate in rough or heavily loaded conditions.

I had several people try to discourage me from going wider because I "would break the spindles" on these older tractors, but some versions of the same model came with 9.5 or 10" front tires.

Anyone care to share a spindle story?

Stocker Steve":2ktnz6zd said:
I had two tractors with 7.5" front tires... which are OK when it is dry. I think it comes down to how fast you operate in rough or heavily loaded conditions.

I had several people try to discourage me from going wider because I "would break the spindles" on these older tractors, but some versions of the same model came with 9.5 or 10" front tires.

Depends on if they and the bearings are designed for that wide of a tire. There is a geometry deal with tire/wheel widths and the bearings. The load has to be positioned centered over the middle of the bearings. In a car you can put super wide wheels on and if the bearing/tire/wheel geometry isn;t right you will break the spindle. Same applies (even more so because of the extra weight) on a tractor.
Broke the spindel on a a pimped up 49 Merc back in the late 50's

dun":2cvfxj26 said:
Stocker Steve":2cvfxj26 said:
Depends on if they and the bearings are designed for that wide of a tire. There is a geometry deal with tire/wheel widths and the bearings. The load has to be positioned centered over the middle of the bearings.

I will have to get out the tape measure before I order aircraft tires or flip the rims around. I remember the "new" 730 Case having a much wider front bearing hub than the Fords.

Angus Cowman":3qjlcthx said:
also check and make sure your lug nuts are staying tight I had a 2wd that kept breaking wheels and to fix the problem I changed the hubs as the studs were getting loose and making the wheels break

Good call!!!!!

My buddy at work came over to help me knock the lugs out and he told me that the rim cracked because the lugs (maybe even one or two) had come loose and allowed the rim to move to the point of cracking the rim - ultimately causing failure. To prove the point he showed me two lugs themselves that were eaten away next to the hub - the other lugs were o.k. His guess was that the lug nuts loosened over time; it hasn't been something I checked before until now...

cypressfarms":2zl77gl5 said:
Angus Cowman":2zl77gl5 said:

Good call!!!!!

My buddy at work came over to help me knock the lugs out and he told me that the rim cracked because the lugs (maybe even one or two) had come loose and allowed the rim to move to the point of cracking the rim - ultimately causing failure. To prove the point he showed me two lugs themselves that were eaten away next to the hub - the other lugs were o.k. His guess was that the lug nuts loosened over time; it hasn't been something I checked before until now...
I think I would still change the tires and wheels to a 10.00-16 if you are running a fel on this tractor as you will get a lot smoother ride,more stability, will be easier on your tractor and will have less soil compaction with the wider tires and rims

Do you still have Alexanders # they could probably fix you up with the correct wheels for your tractor

goodluck

I would go with Kerley on this .I have ford 5600 with heavy front end loader.
This is our main tractor[we do about 800 rolls a year]
We run airplane tires on and wheels on front from Gensco.
Wore out one set & just ordered new set of recapped ribbed tires from them this spring.
There phone #s 800-828-3350 or web www.noflats.com

Angus Cowman":3mc2wgtc said:
I think I would still change the tires and wheels to a 10.00-16 if you are running a fel on this tractor as you will get a lot smoother ride,more stability, will be easier on your tractor and will have less soil compaction with the wider tires and rims

Do you still have Alexanders # they could probably fix you up with the correct wheels for your tractor

goodluck

My cheapness came out in me. I found a place called Missouri Tractor Parts, through All States Ag parts that had the exact same rim as my tractor for $30 - used but with no damage. Hard to beat $30. Alexanders wanted $100 for a new one. If either of the two rims fail I have on now, I'm switching over to a 10 no doubt. How can you pass up $30? This guy was so cheap he has me thinking of what else I need to replace on my tractor that I should order. He shipped quick - I got it in two working days, including him going out and pull it off a salvage tractor he had; the guy was super nice. I've found a new parts supplier it seems.

here a few months ago we replaced a cracked rim on our 32yr old 7700.it has had a loader on it since new.an that was the 1st rim we ever replaced on it.we bought an after market rim.

We put airplane tire tired on our 6710 last year and had to take them back off because they kept breaking the studs off the hubs.

Latest posts