My search is over....Finally

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man

Reaction score
I got Blessed with a Truck after searching for months. Ended up with a 2001 Dodge Regular Cab 2500 4 X 4 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Automatic Trans, Am Fm 4 CD Changer, Ranch Hand Heavy Duty Front Bumper, Steel Flat Bed in the back with tool boxes on the sides, 4 new tires, 109000 miles. Friend of a Friend type deal. Could not be happier. When I got the call, I jumped up and drove 150 miles right then, spent the night in Ghramm, TX. Bought it first thing next morning. Got to meet a good man in the process. "If there is anything you find wrong with the Truck, just take it to the Dodge Dealer and I will pay to have it fixed" I drove it 450 miles the first day. Needless to say I cant find anything wrong with the Truck. Paid $9000.00 God is Good!

I believe you'll be well satified with your Dodge.I always have owned Fords since I was old enough to drive, and still own one (well my Wife just got a brand new one), but the Dodge is bullet proof. Congratulations.

At the sale barn that i go to 75% of the trucks are Dodge. I,am still driving my Ford F250 diesel but my next truck will be a Dodge.

Crowderfarms":3lw1ucop said:
I believe you'll be well satified with your Dodge.I always have owned Fords since I was old enough to drive, and still own one (well my Wife just got a brand new one), but the Dodge is bullet proof. Congratulations.

Dodge hasnt built a bullet proof automatic trans for some time.JHH

I do think you will like the truck, congratulations.

According to the man I bought it from, "The Transmission was worked on three times under warranty, the last time, Dodge had come up with a New and Improved version as far as correcting the problem. I have not had a problem since." To me it seems fine.

Texas Ranch Man":36ktg029 said:
According to the man I bought it from, "The Transmission was worked on three times under warranty, the last time, Dodge had come up with a New and Improved version as far as correcting the problem. I have not had a problem since." To me it seems fine.

Transmission worked on three times in 100k miles? Yup, it's a Dodge. :lol:

cfpinz

Geez at my salebarns I attend Ford is still the dominant brand. Since you got the truck for $9,000 at least you will have extra money if you have problems. Its a Dodge so you probaly will. Ill stick with Ford they have never let me down.

I was just thinking if it has 109000 miles on it, that means they should have just had the transmission fixed for the 3rd time so you should be good for another 20000. Still a darn good price. Sounds like a heck of a guy you bought it from. One of the few that care more about people than money.

Ignore these guys with their cracks about Dodge transmissions. If its been worked on three times in 100,000 miles, that means 1 of 2 things:

1) The guy driving didn't know how to drive. He probably towed with OD on, a sure fire to kill the 48RE

2) The guy doing the transmission work probably didn't know what he was doing.

If the trans fails again, you need to find a shop that will upgrade the torque converter, boost line pressure by about 6 PSI, and make some minor modifications to the OD section to increase oiling. A good friend of mine whose worked on transmissions for over 20 years (he owns his own shop) also recommends a stage 1 shift kit, to firm up shifts. He recommends this for ALL automatics, not just Dodge.

As an aside, I'm personally aware of far more Dodge trucks with 200,000 miles on the odometer who haven't had automatic troubles than I am aware of guys who have had troubles.

Rod

You got a good deal, sucker is setup by the sounds of it with the bumper/bed, 100k aint nothing, if the tranny has been worked on that much just keep it up changing fluid and should get alot of life out of it. Only thing I can see is (pretty sure in 01') the cummins had the lift pump on the block instead of the tank (what my buddy with his 02' ran into) so that wore out pretty quick, within first 70k on truck, then it was all on the fuel pump, after that went it was a big mess. Needless to say he went with an aftermarket fuel system, and now hes golden, just somthing to watch out for.

I dont bash other brands as they are all good, every brand has their downfall, my truck (mid 90's stroker) Ford put dual mass flywheels in that dont last so have to convert to solid, the fuel deal on the Dodge, none are perfect, all still a bucket of bolts :cboy:

<> s cattle or others, I have a 2001 1 ton cummins with a 6 speed .Will it hurt to pull loads in 6th or should you leave it in 5th?

ND":1y3re5sh said:
<> s cattle or others, I have a 2001 1 ton cummins with a 6 speed .Will it hurt to pull loads in 6th or should you leave it in 5th?
Once you get up to highway speed, you should be OK to use 6th. I use 6th in mine all the time on the Interstate, pulling a load.

i pull in 6th also, just wanted some reassurance, thanks.

ND, I used 8000 lbs trailer and load as a maximum load for pulling in OD with either the 6 speed or the automatic. Even if the automatic isn't hunting, its almost certainly overheating at that weight (depending on terrain and rear gears of course). As for the 6 speed, the NV5600 gets UNBELIEVABLY hot in OD with an 8000 lb load and the bearings/bushings will take some punishment. Do yourself a favor, and drop back to direct. If you have 4.11s in the rear end, you can probably tack on another thousand lbs.

Better yet, avoid guessing and install a trans temp gauge and watch the gauge when towing. When things get hot, drop out of OD.

Some people seem scared to run the Cummins in direct for fear of the RPMs. Don't be. The 5.9 Cummins is a 350,000 mile engine at 3000 RPM. You may even get better fuel economy in direct and a load on. I know my 2001 HO 6 speed did, once the load hit 8 - 9000 lbs. This is with 3.55s and flat old Saskatchewan highway.

Rod

There's nothing wrong with the newer Dodge trannies, I have a 96 Dodge with the Cummins and have 175K miles on it, never been worked on. The problems with the tranny start to occur when you start increasing horsepower and either the tranny goes or the torque converter. I would put a tranny temp gauge in since the stock one's aren't very good and don't let it get too hot when pulling. Ford and Chevy have had problems with their auto trannies so Dodge isn't alone on this one.

Bobg

Latest posts