My Red Brangus Bull (PIcs of calves added)

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
169.JPG

3 quarter red angus
pictures of calves were taken with phone.
I will try and get some recent ones of the calves I still have.

Thanks. HIs first calves were born in march. I did not get to take pics. I will try and get sme pics of some younger calves from him that i still have.

My herd is made up of mostly Braford cross cows. My cows had there 1st or 2nd calves this year. I originally had a beefmaster cross bull with my cows in 2008. He ended up stunted and only bred half of my cows. Half of my herd had their 1st calves last year. The calving season started in May and ended in September. I got 11 calves in 5 months. This left me with open 2 and 3 year old heifers. So after this happened I sold the bull. While looking for a bull I found a red brangus ranch in Arkansas and decided to go take a look. He had a nice 2 year old bull who was 3 quarter red angus. From the pictures you can tell he does not show much "ear" and neither did his calves this year. The heifers that did not breed last year where the first to calve this year. I had 13 calves born within 3 weeks. Some of my cows had their first calve at 4 years old this year.

The cows that calved last year were a late breeding back due too the long calving season. Because of the extreme hot weather many cows bred late or were open this year. My dad and I had a total of 16 open cows. The only reason they are not at the salebarn now is because they were mostly 1st calvers and the hot weather took a toll on them.
I decided to hold them and put them with a bull in January in hopes of getting them to calve in October.
Hopefully I can time my calving season and my dads off better next year.

BRAFORDMAN":dblhgs6s said:
My herd is made up of mostly Braford cross cows. My cows had there 1st or 2nd calves this year. I originally had a beefmaster cross bull with my cows in 2008. He ended up stunted and only bred half of my cows. Half of my herd had their 1st calves last year. The calving season started in May and ended in September. I got 11 calves in 5 months. This left me with open 2 and 3 year old heifers. So after this happened I sold the bull. While looking for a bull I found a red brangus ranch in Arkansas and decided to go take a look. He had a nice 2 year old bull who was 3 quarter red angus. From the pictures you can tell he does not show much "ear" and neither did his calves this year. The heifers that did not breed last year where the first to calve this year. I had 13 calves born within 3 weeks. Some of my cows had their first calve at 4 years old this year.

The cows that calved last year were a late breeding back due too the long calving season. Because of the extreme hot weather many cows bred late or were open this year. My dad and I had a total of 16 open cows. The only reason they are not at the salebarn now is because they were mostly 1st calvers and the hot weather took a toll on them.
I decided to hold them and put them with a bull in January in hopes of getting them to calve in October.
Hopefully I can time my calving season and my dads off better next year.
I don't see that as a bad schedule.......A little winter pasture (in years it rains), some good hay and the calves will do fine. Not any worse than calving in the spring and going thru summers with burned up dried out pastures.

The part i consider bad is the stunted bull threw my calving season off and that some of the cows bred a month before we palpated this year and will calve during the summer. I have no problem with summer calving, but if the summer turns out like it did this year then It wont be good for the calves. It was so hot that even my Brahman cow would not out eating during the day. we had temp up to 115 degrees. The bulls went out with cows in March . The first calves were mostly born in March. We had a few that my dad bought who started to calving in november of last year. I did see some of the cows cycle in June, which is a normal window(3 months) for them to cycle after calving. And I saw the bull breed a few. But many of those cows turned up open or short bred. (Had bull with cows up until a few weeks ago, when we palpated). The heat really affected the cows.
And the last calves on the ground were born in July. And you can really tell the difference between size .

The ones that turned up open will be ok and should breed back in January.
The cows that calved, that are bred to calve in the summer, are the ones to consider to be badly timed. The positive is they are bred the bad side will be if summer turns out like it did this year.

TexasBred":10q833ts said:
One reason he doesn't have as much ear is because he is 3/4 Angus....He is not a true brangus.

Not even close. Was just looking at some red brangus bulls today.

backhoeboogie":2cwvix9x said:
TexasBred":2cwvix9x said:
One reason he doesn't have as much ear is because he is 3/4 Angus....He is not a true brangus.

He has 1/8 more red angus than a "true" brangus is. More angus means he will not look like a 3/8 brahman 5/8 angus.

HIs registration papers say brangus so that is what he is.

He should work well for you with the lack of ear. But no matter what the papers say he doesn't look like a brangus nor is he a true brangus (as even you said).

backhoeboogie":1ka8y2z2 said:
TexasBred":1ka8y2z2 said:

I am with you Boogie that ain't brangus. The thing that would concern me the most is he is not a standarized composite. No telling what would come out of the woodpile as epd's would be worthless. That would be like me trying to give epd's on my Angus Brangus cross calves or better yet my black herefords. ;-)
He is not a bad looking crossbred bull I would just have more concern's with him on crossbred cows even more than on purebred. I would be concerned of trainwrecks.

TexasBred":2k3pjgrg said:
He should work well for you with the lack of ear. But no matter what the papers say he doesn't look like a brangus nor is he a true brangus (as even you said).

When I saw the bull the first things I thought was red angus. Then I read on and saw 3/4 angus - assuming 1/4 brahman. Not a true Brangus. Depending on where you're located that may or may not hurt you. Down south, you may take a beating.

I really like the look of the bull, and his calves, but I would be worried just like Caustic about the predictability. How does he have "papers"?

cypressfarms":kjxedip3 said:
How does he have "papers"?

The bull can be registered as an intermediate to a 5/8,3/8 Brangus. His registration number will start with a "C" instead of the "RR" for 5/8,3/8 Red Brangus. The Brangus association is open to new 1st generation Brangus, so this registration process allows for the tracking of pedigrees and epds. This bull mated to F1 Red Angus/Brahman females would result in 5/8, 3/8 "true Red Brangus" progeny.

bigag03":2nxdqmxd said:
cypressfarms":2nxdqmxd said:
How does he have "papers"?

The bull can be registered as an intermediate to a 5/8,3/8 Brangus. His registration number will start with a "C" instead of the "RR" for 5/8,3/8 Red Brangus. The Brangus association is open to new 1st generation Brangus, so this registration process allows for the tracking of pedigrees and epds. This bull mated to F1 Red Angus/Brahman females would result in 5/8, 3/8 "true Red Brangus" progeny.

What you got is papers on a crossbred bull he can't be a true Brangus of anything else . Might as well be toilet paper's for breeding purposes. IMO this is a shell game being played as you have people buying bulls getting worthless epd's as this is not a standardized composite. If I remember right it takes seven generations, before you would have an animal that would breed true. The Red brangus association is almost as bad as the Chianina, to register a bovine as a Chianina all you have to have is a picture of one and show it to your cows.
Yes you have a 5/8 3/8 crossbreed by the above mating, not a true anything.
Until you go through the process of F-1 to F-1 F-2 back to F-2 and so on you have a crossbred animal.
This is like me putting my Angus bull on my F-1 baldies and asking the Angus association to register them as 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Hereford thats worthless papers.

Caustic - in order to finally end up with the PB, breed assns have to "paper" the F1 & F2 crosses.
I always fully understood (and used) the upgrading system with females, but always thought the 1/2 blood bulls should ALWAYS be cut. And, there were lots of them on the feedlot 30-40 years ago. They were mongrels, but made excellent feedlot calves.
"BUT", the F1 Simm x Angus are an extremely highly marketable bull for the commercial industry in the past few years. Who'd thunk?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1g0aovms said:
Caustic - in order to finally end up with the PB, breed assns have to "paper" the F1 & F2 crosses.
I always fully understood (and used) the upgrading system with females, but always thought the 1/2 blood bulls should ALWAYS be cut. And, there were lots of them on the feedlot 30-40 years ago. They were mongrels, but made excellent feedlot calves.
"BUT", the F1 Simm x Angus are an extremely highly marketable bull for the commercial industry in the past few years. Who'd thunk?

I seen a few Simm/Angus as well as a few other crossbreeds a few years ago, you don't anymore in this area, heard plenty of horror stories as well.
Papering them is one thing selling them with epd's is another. IMOO no association should every paper anything for seedstock that has not been standarized.
You do not have a common denominator, crossbreed to crossbreed is a crap shoot.

"crossbreed to crossbreed is a crap shoot."
I totally agree with this statement - but, in order to ever produce a pb Brangus, they MUST paper the generations of up-breeding to get to the Brangus.
Actually, they have developed EPD's for all crossbred cattle of all breeds (well, almost all).
As I said, I never believed in promoting 1/2 blood Simmental bulls. To me it was mongralizing breeds. But, there are many PB Simmental breeders (big breeders) in the midwest, that sell their 1/2 blood bulls for higher bucks than their PB Angus or PB Simmental bulls. They are a real hot item with the commercial breeders. But, lets face it - there are not a LOT of phenotype differences between the breeds anymore, so you do get a uniform calf crop. Purebred British & Simmental are all about the same frame size. My replacements have been running between 5 - 6.5 for the past ? 4-5 years. That's pretty much where the PB Angus & Herefords in the midwest & East are at. Simmies are just heavier muscled in the rear quarters. :banana:
Caustic - I know you are NOT a Simmental fan - but, I really think you would like the new modern Simmental. They fit in any program. Even Dun has made the statement in the past, that Simmies have improved more than any other breed. (especially in the CE trait)

Latest posts