My Red Brangus Bull (PIcs of calves added)

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":19mzudy7 said:
BRAFORDMAN":19mzudy7 said:
I was just asking questions, never said you were wrong or right. And yes my herd is made up of red cows. Before you jumped to conclusion on anything you never asked me what kind of cows he went on.
This bull is what I make a living from while I am in school. I never said I would keep heifers out of him, HIS calves are sent to the salebarn. Would I keep heifers yes I would. You will never know if his heifers will turn out good or any other bulls heifers will unless you keep a few and see. EPDS are not always correct. SOme of these papered full blood bull will trows some surprises as well. What did people do before EPDs, it is call trial and error.

ANd about the crossbred bull thing, sometimes there are a few good ones. I have a braford cross bull that my dad raised, his mother was a dark colored F1 braford and she was bred when we got her. The bull was born red white face with a hump on his back. I do not know what his father was and do not care. We decided to keep him and some heifers, I had problems with one heifer in 9 years.
I have been using the bull for about 9 years now never had any other problems he has bred heifers, santa gertrudis cross cows,brangus baldies and black baldies and brangus. Never had huge calves calves . This bull is about 2700 lbs and has been grass fed all his life.
His calves are tigerstripe with white faces. On once in a blue moon I will get a few solid colors. F1s sell as good as black calves do and his calves look like F1s.
My herd of cows is made up of his offspring. His heifers milk better and raised huge calves and maintain their body condition on grass only. His calves bring good money.

I do not care if my cows look like a box of crayons, they raise some darn good calves for me. All i need is the right bull and he will give me a uniform calf crop.

Raising commercial cattle is different in each state.
In my neck of the woods tigerstripe, char cross( including smokies), black and dark reds sell better over anything.
And sell barns work different in texas. Your calves are not sold in groups and on uniformity, they are sold one by one. Things may work different in your part of the country. There is no way to maximize profit. It is either the calf is good or it isn't. The buyers look at each calf individually.

Were do you haul to Raywood or Sealy as if I remember right Winnie shutdown. Used to enjoy going to Winnie and watching the show. You are right about the Tigers sell better than anything if it is a heifer, dang near have to give the steer calf away. Even though our calves are sold one by one in Texas that order buyer is still trying to fill the trailer with uniform cattle. If you ever set through a sale like Crockett you will see one buyer buying X color in 4 to 5 weights and another buying Y color.
There is nothing wrong with a box of crayons you are just going to have more anomlies in your calf crop, and you will never maximize your profit potential until you standardize you commercial herd be it Herf/Char, Herf/Briimer etc .
You can't fight the science a two way cross is going to give you 10% more weaning weight a 3 way cross 20%.
With anymore than that all bets are off.
By targeting your operation to get a consistant commercial cow you give yourself more options to maximize profit.
There is many a commercial cowman that runs a uniform herd of cattle.
Targeting for black baldie or red baldie momma cow lets you change the entire calf crop color to follow the market by changing the bull. That said you have more options with the red baldie cow than any other. You should also be working to a polled herd as we get docked for horns across the scales as well.

I haul to J&J in Texerkana. All of my bulls or polled except my braford cross bull and believe it or not most of his calves are polled even out of horned cows.

Most of our calf crop is pretty uniformed. A few odd balls, but there are usually some more oddballs like them at te sale barn

BRAFORDMAN":2pb65qyd said:
Most of our calf crop is pretty uniformed. A few odd balls, but there are usually some more oddballs like them at te sale barn

do they really sell hundreds of calves one at a time?? Seems like it would just give the buyers an even better chance of screwing a man out of a dollar, for some BS excuse.

BRAFORDMAN":3vz4wcqc said:
YOu big time ranchers think your fullblood animals are better and raise better calves. Crossbred calves do better and raise better calves then some of your fullblood cows.
Some of you are so used to your full blood cows that you do not have a clue about crossbreds. ALl you know is about full bloods and how to pick them
When all you raise is crossbreds you know something about them. Alot of you fullblood cow raisers would not know how to pick a good crossbred cow because you do not raise them.

O.k., Brafordman, no one is wishing you bad luck or wanting you to fail, quit being so defensive. Quit talking in circles and spit it out like a man: "You big time ranchers", " Some of you are so used to your full blood cows that you do not have a clue about crossbreds", "Alot of you fullblood cow raisers would not know how to pick a good crossbred cow because you do not raise them". Name some names, you talking about me?

Just for your information, almost everything I own (cows) are commercial. My main bull is an Angus plus, which is what your "Brangus" is, but mine is black. He throws very consistent calves. I did have epds to compare when I bought him, and he's registered with the Red Angus assoc. I do own a real Brangus bull as well, that works a herd of braford (again commercial) cows.

No one who is in the cow calf business has registered cows; that's a losing proposition not only b/c the momas cost too much, but you also lose weight on the calves.

By the way, could you sum it up for the ignorants (myself) exactly how you raise your crossbreds in comparison to fullbloods? I'm curious as to the difference. Please teach me something here.

3waycross":28sucqw3 said:
BRAFORDMAN":28sucqw3 said:

do they really sell hundreds of calves one at a time?? Seems like it would just give the buyers an even better chance of screwing a man out of a dollar, for some BS excuse.
That is how they do it in my neck of the woods.

Same in Louisiana; one at a time. Unless you go to a special sale. For example, there are replacement sales where they sell pens of 5 to 10 bred heifers at a time. Makes for some really long sales going one at a time!

cypressfarms":1hof63dp said:
BRAFORDMAN":1hof63dp said:
YOu big time ranchers think your fullblood animals are better and raise better calves. Crossbred calves do better and raise better calves then some of your fullblood cows.
Some of you are so used to your full blood cows that you do not have a clue about crossbreds. ALl you know is about full bloods and how to pick them
When all you raise is crossbreds you know something about them. Alot of you fullblood cow raisers would not know how to pick a good crossbred cow because you do not raise them.

O.k., Brafordman, no one is wishing you bad luck or wanting you to fail, quit being so defensive. Quit talking in circles and spit it out like a man: "You big time ranchers", " Some of you are so used to your full blood cows that you do not have a clue about crossbreds", "Alot of you fullblood cow raisers would not know how to pick a good crossbred cow because you do not raise them". Name some names, you talking about me?

Just for your information, almost everything I own (cows) are commercial. My main bull is an Angus plus, which is what your "Brangus" is, but mine is black. He throws very consistent calves. I did have epds to compare when I bought him, and he's registered with the Red Angus assoc. I do own a real Brangus bull as well, that works a herd of braford (again commercial) cows.

No one who is in the cow calf business has registered cows; that's a losing proposition not only b/c the momas cost too much, but you also lose weight on the calves.

By the way, could you sum it up for the ignorants (myself) exactly how you raise your crossbreds in comparison to fullbloods? I'm curious as to the difference. Please teach me something here.

You just said you have an angus plus bull. You said me using mine is a crapshoot. Is using yours a crap shoot as well?

You also said yours is registered but asked how mine has papers. If you are saying my bull shouldn't be registered, then tell me why he shouldn't be. I do not mean to come across defensive. I am just asking a simple question.

BRAFORDMAN":3tlvn66o said:
You just said you have an angus plus bull. You said me using mine is a crapshoot. Is using yours a crap shoot as well?

You also said yours is registered but asked how mine has papers. If you are saying my bull shouldn't be registered, then tell me why he shouldn't be. I do not mean to come across defensive. I am just asking a simple question.

Angus plus is a brangus minus in my book :)

I have pretty much stayed out since page one when I said that was not a brangus. Papered or not he is not a brangus. Your heading says, "My Red Brangus Bull." He is not brangus and does not look like any red brangus I have ever seen. Then you come back and say he is 3/4 red angus and 1/4 brahman. Okay. My case in point. He is a composite that has not had several generations of breeding behind his belt. You can call him whatever you want to call him. In my opinion he is closer to red angus than anything else.

It is your right to use this bull and do whatever you want to do with him. I wish you the best of luck. Mostly I just wish you would not mislead anyone such as a novice reading these threads such that they think that is how a brangus bull looks.

Brafordman, which registry is your bull registered with? I looked up Red Brangus and noticed that there are three registries in the U.S.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

2ykmji1.jpg

BRAFORDMAN":1lr305sl said:

I'll give you an answer, but first I want to go over what you've posted in this thread:

-Originally you had a "stunted" Beefmaster cross bull.
-Your cows are braford crosses.
-With your stunted Beefmaster cross you had a horrible birth rate
-You then switched to a 3/4 red angus, 1/4 brahman bull.
-With this new "brangus" bull you've had 16 open cows this year.
-The 16 open cows was blamed on the heat.
-Some of your cows are now 4 year old heifers.
-You mentioned your dad's Braford cross bull as a example of why crosses are good.

Now to your direct quotes:
I have never gone wrong with choosing cows or bulls
When all you raise is crossbreds you know something about them
All of my bulls or (I assume you meant ARE) polled except my braford cross and believe it or not most of his calves are polled even out of horned cows

If you've never gone wrong then why the stunted beefmaster cross? If you know something about crossbreds, then why did you have 16 cows come open this year? (Let's assume that this bull was running with 30 cows, reasonable number, so 1/2 of his cows were open?)
No I do not believe that your horned braford bull throws mostly polled calves bred with horned cows. To put it nicely I do not agree with your management concepts, but to each his own. The bull does look nice, and I wish you good luck with him.

Now to my bull:

He is a 6 year old 2nd generation Angus plus (His sire and and dam were Angus plus). By Angus plus, I mean a brangus crossed with an angus which will yield 81.3% Angus and 18.7% Brahman. I don't like the new Angus Plus' which can have wide percentages of Angus and Brahman in them. I have papers on him which show his pedigree back 3 generations. It shows his sires complete epd's and his dams complete epds. It also shows the bull's actual birth weight, weaning weight, and yearling weight. I had a really good idea what I would be getting when I bought him. Although I've been pleased with the bull, and not once had a lost calf (one set of premature twins, but I don't count that against him) in over 100 calves, I will be switching to a hereford bull. Mainly because my cow herd has shifted to mostly Brangus.

The heat was the blame. Now i did not have a problem with the calves from this stunted bull the only thing wrong was that he did not grow like I wanted him too and honestly they heifers that did not breed were the youngest and were a little over 2 when they calved last year My heifers were from two calving seasons . And All the heifers that he did not breed, the angus plus bull took care of them and they were the first to calve in march 13 calves(from the heifers the beefmaster missed) in 3 weeks was good. They calved in March and with 1st calvers it can take 3 months for them to come in heat just depending on the environment, And 3 months was in June when we had 115 degree weather. These heifers did come in heat and I am sure of it I saw the bulls after them and breed some of them, but some did not settle.
That was a problem at a fleckvieh sale I went too, many heifers were Aid during the summer of 2010 and we had a very hot and humid summer.

16 cows are my dads cows and mine combined. With a total of about 50 head 16 were open ( they were first calvers). 24 cows in total were first calvers . And now i do not trust the vet we used to palpate cows. We had never did pregnancy test but I decided to try and the vet we used was not available so we used a different vet. When we sold cows because of hay shortage many of the cows he said were open were bred. There was a cow he said was open and she turned out to be 3 months bred. NO excuses just the truth.

I agree 16 is 16 too many, but i can not control the weather here in texas. It is harder for cows to settle in hot temps wethere you AI or pasture breed.

You cannot expect a cow to settle in 115 degree weather.

There are cases where two horned animals bred to each other may produce a polled calve. And i get a few horned calves every year. But the majority of his calves are honestly polled.

And another factor in the open cow situation is that we are changing from calving year round to fall calving. We had about 100 head of cattle that calved year round and we cut our numbers and are now at 50 as of last year. It will take about 2 calving/breeding seasons to transition and last year was the first. This years breeding/calving season should finish tightening up the calving season and everybody should calve on time and breed back in the designated window.

BRAFORDMAN said:
They calved in March and with 1st calvers it can take 3 months for them to come in heat just depending on the environment, quote]
if the cows are from good fertile stock and they have the proper nutrition they should be coming into heat within 30 days if not then you have fertility or managemnet problems doesn't matter if it is their first calf or their 5th
if they are not settling because of the heat then it goes back to a managemnet problem or a problem with lack of management in trying to breed in a season that isn't compatible with breeding

The bull with horns may have the african horn gene; and be heterozygous or homozygous polled. Then he can sire polled out of horned cows.

Heat has nothing to do with it as Angus Cowman said. If a cow doesn't breed back and deliver a live calf in 12 months she is a cull plan and simple. Unless there is a serious management problem. You were no hotter than any other cattleman in our area. If those cows won't settle there is more than likely a bull problem wrong breed for the enviroment. I ran cows for years in Galveston county and it borders Chambers and heat was never a problem on getting cattle settled and it wasn't a problem in Tyler county this year.
You might want to read up on on Tom Lasater's work.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2zxekp34 said:
Caustic - I have to say the words coming out of you kinda amaze me. It is really great to hear you are an EPD believer! Don't know why - but that didn't "fit" my image. :banana:

Yes I think epd's are valuable tool as long as you remember it's a tool in your tool box.
Your toolbox needs a discerning eye and gray matter as well.
EPD's are only as good as the breeder and are worthless if there is not a high percentage of accuracy IMO.
I will never buy a bull without visual checking out the sire and dam. I want to see the bulls progeny in the pasture.
I only look at three epd's birthweight, calving ease, and s/c. The rest are worthless to me. I can't make money with a dead calf.

Caustic Burno":bf6c9uay said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":bf6c9uay said:
Caustic - I have to say the words coming out of you kinda amaze me. It is really great to hear you are an EPD believer! Don't know why - but that didn't "fit" my image. :banana:

Yes I think epd's are valuable tool as long as you remember it's a tool in your tool box.
Your toolbox needs a discerning eye and gray matter as well.
EPD's are only as good as the breeder and are worthless if there is not a high percentage of accuracy IMO.
I will never buy a bull without visual checking out the sire and dam. I want to see the bulls progeny in the pasture.
I only look at three epd's birthweight, calving ease, and s/c. The rest are worthless to me. I can't make money with a dead calf.
Couldn't say it any better!

Latest posts