My New SAV Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungAngusCattle said:
wbvs58 said:
They grow into the job very quickly. If I am not mistaken he is out of a full sister to Renown and Resource and by President. Very impressive, you have done well. What sort of dollars he cost you? Tell me to mind my own business if you want to.

Ken

$5000. Kelly told me 411 bulls that sold at a $14k average and I forgot what he told me the females average, of course that bull average is gonna be drastically increased by selling a 1.5 million dollar bull. By the way he is super super nice and helpful to talk to on the phone, I called him and told him I was interesting in buying a bull but I couldn't make the 14 hour drive there. I told him my highest dollar was $6250 and about what I was looking for in a herd bull, he then proceeded to take the next 30 minutes with me and go through the bulls of every sire group that fit my criteria and ask me if their numbers were acceptable for me. We zeroed in on lot 24 and 25 because of the heavy 4136 genetics, lot 24 ended up going for $8000 but he was able to get lot 25. Then he called me first thing sunday morning to tell me we got a bull and the best news of all I came under budget. A couple days after I pick the bull up from a stockyard, just over an hour from me in Palmyra Missouri, he called me and asked how I liked the bull and if I wasn't pleased with him he had two other guys that didn't get a bull bought that would like him. Overall it was a top notch buying experience from Schaff and someday I would like to actually attend the sale.

PS I know you guys are gonna freak out when I tell you I bought a bull sight unseen.
I think buying sight unseen is fine as long as you are comfortable with who you are doing business with.

YoungAngusCattle said:
wbvs58 said:
They grow into the job very quickly. If I am not mistaken he is out of a full sister to Renown and Resource and by President. Very impressive, you have done well. What sort of dollars he cost you? Tell me to mind my own business if you want to.

Ken

$5000. Kelly told me 411 bulls that sold at a $14k average and I forgot what he told me the females average, of course that bull average is gonna be drastically increased by selling a 1.5 million dollar bull. By the way he is super super nice and helpful to talk to on the phone, I called him and told him I was interesting in buying a bull but I couldn't make the 14 hour drive there. I told him my highest dollar was $6250 and about what I was looking for in a herd bull, he then proceeded to take the next 30 minutes with me and go through the bulls of every sire group that fit my criteria and ask me if their numbers were acceptable for me. We zeroed in on lot 24 and 25 because of the heavy 4136 genetics, lot 24 ended up going for $8000 but he was able to get lot 25. Then he called me first thing sunday morning to tell me we got a bull and the best news of all I came under budget. A couple days after I pick the bull up from a stockyard, just over an hour from me in Palmyra Missouri, he called me and asked how I liked the bull and if I wasn't pleased with him he had two other guys that didn't get a bull bought that would like him. Overall it was a top notch buying experience from Schaff and someday I would like to actually attend the sale.

PS I know you guys are gonna freak out when I tell you I bought a bull sight unseen.
Schaff got to where they are today by offering great genetics, great marketing, and GREAT customer service.

After reading this thread it makes me less cautious on buying sight unseen from certain places.

YoungAngusCattle said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

I would say money well spent. Without seeing numbers or a video of this bull moving, I like him better than the 1.5 mill bull that couldn't walk.

Use him on every cow you have and then get a better one to use on his heifers. Maybe you will get a son better than him to breed his half sisters with.

Looks like a great bull and experience. I bought sight unseen last year from a place a friend recommended expensive lesson.

gcreekrch said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

I would say money well spent. Without seeing numbers or a video of this bull moving, I like him better than the 1.5 mill bull that couldn't walk.

Use him on every cow you have and then get a better one to use on his heifers. Maybe you will get a son better than him to breed his half sisters with.

https://youtu.be/a3zJ4SYz6q4

What do you guys think about AIing my current angus cows to EXT II or New Design 878, trying to get some females for him to bred in the future. I have never used either of them, I know EXT II is a clone. Is there any issues I should be aware of with using a clone?

YoungAngusCattle said:
What do you guys think about AIing my current angus cows to EXT II or New Design 878, trying to get some females for him to bred in the future. I have never used either of them, I know EXT II is a clone. Is there any issues I should be aware of with using a clone?

I watched the video, use the one you have.

I agree with previous post. Use the bull that you have. Disposition will be way better.

YoungAngusCattle said:

You may better check but I believe 878 is a carrier

YoungAngusCattle said:
There are some Ext genetics out there, other than using the clone. Sinclair has the XXP bull who is a double bred Ext son, we used JVC Emulation this last year, who is a son of Ext and line bred top and bottom lines. ST Genetics has SAV Extension who is a XXP son out of Black Cap May 4136, by going that route you can just breed for daughters. I really like our JVC (V910) progeny and went to Crouthamel's sale where most of the lead off bulls of the sale were V910 sons.

YoungAngusCattle said:
V910s daughters look a little tall in the Origen photos. Is that something you are seeing?

Nope, he actually stamps his progeny with moderation and are compact. Everyone I've talked to about their daughters tell me the udders on the heifers and cows are perfect. I've already planned out who I'm breeding to this year, but if my cows have any bad calves with that bull I will be using V910 in 2020 on those cows that didn't mix well.

YoungAngusCattle said:
I'm fairly new to raising cattle and extremely new to building an angus herd. I took over my grandfathers farm, at the age of 21, when he passed away 6 years ago and have been slowly replacing the commercial cows with purebred angus with the goal of selling seedstock and local consignment sales.

I bought my first purebred angus bull this winter from the SAV sale, I know there has been some heated discussions about SAV genetics around here but they must be doing something right to have 1500 buyers there every year. I would like some constructive criticism on my yearling bull, I am new to this and nobody really ever taught me how to select animals and I didn't have a whole lot to spend on a bull with all the infrastructure upgrades I have to do around here.

SAV President 8729
Reg # 19249619

IMG-0009.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0034.jpg
Congratulations on what I think is a very good purchase. I have a copy of the 2019 S A V sale catalog and think you got a good buy at $5,000. Put him to work on your cows this breeding season. I wouldn't use him on heifers, however.

Regarding using EXT (or the clone) or New Design 878, I personally would NEVER use EXT to produce replacements because of his horrible docility reputation. I would not want those kind of cows in my herd and have to work with them. They are, for the vast part, hot heads, and have in years past seen his daughters and most all had bad attitudes and wouldn't hesitate to take you out. New Design 878 has a pretty good reputation for producing good replacements, and a lot of breeders used him over the years. I used him a bit many years ago and was pretty happy for the most part.

I (obviously) am not an Angus breeder, but have a lot of close friends that are. Even "I" have heard of EXT's reputation for temperament - BAD. But, like anything, I'm sure there are some good ones out there.

I know EXT has a bad reputation but I have had a few and many granddaughters and haven't seen any temperament issues from any of them. They are very protective mothers but I consider that to be a positive. I certainly wouldn't avoid using him strictly based on docility. He will improve udder quality in one generation better than any bull I have ever used.

It's funny we always find fault with a bull, regardless if his genetics dominate the entire breed. Docility and performance are both effected by how you handle your cattle. I bought a bred heifer from a friend who told me she was a hot head and to be careful with her. He runs his cattle on desert range and his cows may not see a person for 3 weeks and hardly are managed. On my place she has to deal with me daily and she's flighty, not a hot head, stands at the fence every day waiting for me to get home. If someone truly is worried about docility of Ext, which some should be concerned, using a son of could be the perfect solution. As stated Ext stamps his progeny with great udders and was/is a herd improver.

Latest posts