My new Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":2prbcql4 said:
Looks like he stands good and square. Shows good muscling through the rear.

How is he bred on his bottom side of his pedigree?

George

His Dam is out of a bull called BAR JZ Tradition 434V . BTW its was raining when I took that picture I won't pick him up till April I hope he is less curly when he's dry. I'll bet he'll weigh 1500# +.

Black and Good":w1vo1t3t said:
Herefords.US":w1vo1t3t said:
Looks like he stands good and square. Shows good muscling through the rear.

How is he bred on his bottom side of his pedigree?

George

His Dam is out of a bull called BAR JZ Tradition 434V . BTW its was raining when I took that picture I won't pick him up till April I hope he is less curly when he's dry. I'll bet he'll weigh 1500# +.

What is your locale B&G

I have heard that curly hair in herfs is supposed to be a sign of fertility, don't know if it is true or not. Maybe a herf breeder can shed some light on this. He should slick off by summer, remember hair is not a bad thing in winter it is an extra insulator and they do not need to consume as much feed then.

Are you using him for blk baldies ?

hillsdown":30hisezw said:
I have heard that curly hair in herfs is supposed to be a sign of fertility, don't know if it is true or not. Maybe a herf breeder can shed some light on this. He should slick off by summer, remember hair is not a bad thing in winter it is an extra insulator and they do not need to consume as much feed then.

Yes Sir. I got some pretty darn good black cows I will be putting him on. I had some calves last year half BWF the other half Blacks those BWF calves weaned about 50 to 60 #'s Heavier to me thats free money. They were out of a Horrned Hereford though,but this Polled bull should do about the same do you agree?

Based off of that picture I like him. You should get some nice, thick baldy calves out of him.

hillsdown":glbviw9k said:

This rang a bell. Here's an article from Gearld Fry about curly hair and fertility (scroll down a bit):

http://www.bovineengineering.com/NL_fertile_bull.html

From the one pic he looks like a nice bull, BTW the curly hair and fertility factor is on the head of the bull, he just happens to be curly on his whole body. I have a couple of curly cows also, one is a Moler daughter who has not done cr@p as far as calves go. Would like to see a couple of pics at different views, but nice looking bull.

Alan

A curly coat isn't ideal in the warmer climates as they tend to not shed as well and as early in spring as the slicker coats do, but there are always exceptions to the rule and I agree in your climate a good heavy winter coat that still sheds early in spring would be the ideal.

I like the bull, would have liked to see more barrel on him and maybe just a touch more bone.

Your bull looks kinda like a high carcass bull. Certainly looks thick enough and should cross well on some nice black cows that would really put some nice bwf steers on the ground and same nice baldy heifers that are so much in demand. I too would like to see a little more rib on him, but he is green and the angle on the pic might not be showing it as much too. It also appears that he may be a little straight in his hock and shoulder but again, I would withold final judgement until I saw more pictures or a video of him on the move.

On the curly hair issue, doesn't bother me so much on bulls, but I dont necessarily like it on the females too much. I sometimes see the really curly haired females to be a little coarse made and a little more marginal on maternal traits.

smnherf":22qzr8ff said:
. I sometimes see the really curly haired females to be a little coarse made and a little more marginal on maternal traits.

Would you mind going a little more in detail on curly coats on females, as I mentioned before I have a cow with this type of coat, while she is bred well, put together pretty nicely and cost me too many nickels she is flying up my cull list. She'll have her third calf this spring and she needs to produce something or she's gone. I would really like to know more on anyones thoughts of a curly coat and maternal traits.

Thanks,
Alan

Black and Good":1v9s34ms said:
[img][/img]

Here are some more pics of this young let me know what you all think I have wide shoulders. LOL I think this is fun.

Tebo-20111219-00031.jpg

Tebo-20111219-00028.jpg

Try highlighting your pictures and post from them after they enl;arge. If you post from thumbnails you will get thumbnails

KNERSIE":2nqkqp5r said:
A curly coat isn't ideal in the warmer climates as they tend to not shed as well and as early in spring as the slicker coats do, but there are always exceptions to the rule and I agree in your climate a good heavy winter coat that still sheds early in spring would be the ideal.

I like the bull, would have liked to see more barrel on him and maybe just a touch more bone.

Knersie, what functional improvement would you anticipate with a touch more bone?

Latest posts