my new henry .22- i highly recommend it.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerD44

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my new small varmit gun. This rifle is awsome. the smoothest action of any gun i own- and right out of the box!!! Spits out 13 rds very fast and very accurrate. the small lever version would be a tad faster but i always wanted a big loop gun.

danshuntingandchristmaspics07002.jpg
[/img]

Just an FYI ~ That is what a person from Mn looks like when they are on fire excited about something!! fD44 ~ calm down, you are getting a little outta control, and its not healthy.

Nice gun btw 8)

I have a Henry Golden Boy and it is more accurate and has a much smoother action than my old 9422 Winchester. Henry makes a quality gun.

Why is there a toy JD tractor hanging from your ceiling?

We have those little JD tractors too - they are the thingies you hang from the ceiling fan chains (can't remember what their called) :lol:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3rrxqha7 said:
I'd like to see Henry build a nice short 30-30 like that.

You ever try the Winchester Trapper in 30-30 MPR. A fellow who did the dogging at deer camp had one and loved it, was no bigger that D44's.

Nice gun D44, never had my hands on a Henry but heard lots about them.

Maybe somebody could post some pics of purses and shoes and we can see angie get excited! :lol:

ALX.":wk12p082 said:
Maybe somebody could post some pics of purses and shoes and we can see angie get excited! :lol:
I may be from Mn, cowboy ~ but we have standards! I'll be needing a pic of something a little showier than purse and shoes..... ;-)

angie2":1i5gsb3q said:
ALX.":1i5gsb3q said:
I may be from Mn, cowboy ~ but we have standards! I'll be needing a pic of something a little showier than purse and shoes..... ;-)
Alright Angelina, you git him girl! ;-)

D44 - take your clothes off and strike that manly pose with the rifle for the ladies in here!! OK, not all your clothes, but enough to make them go back to the Coffee Shop!

I have the winchester trapper in 44 mag with the small lever. I much prefer my marlin 336 30-30. smoother action and easier for me to lever from the shoulder. It is about 5 inches longer and a pound heavier but its just a better gun in my opinion and is still being made. i also like the thicker wood on the marlins although alot of others don't. I have heard that the old pre-64 winchesters were much better but have never shot one.

I had a little free time today so i headed out behind the barn with my henry for some rapid fire stress relief. The more i shoot this gun the more i like it. I do wish the stock was checkered tho- it gets kinda slippery when u are levering it as fast as u can.

Maybe this deserves a seperate thread, but I see alot of pistol calibres in the levers, and folks leaning away from certain makes just as you say D44 for rifle calibres.

The only lever I ever owned was a pre 62 mod 94 and it killed some deer, but never really grabbed me. I sold it after a couple years ( wish I had it now though for collecting sake ).

I notice Browning isn't shy about high pressure stuff in levers. And the Marlins always had heavy hitters.

D44 and other guys who know levers, I guess I am asking - on the high powered side are there brands/models to stay away from? Would you buy a Henry 30-30?

The lever actions that house the high pressure stuff are only similar to the 30-30 type ones by use of a lever. Many of them are similar to bolt actions in lock up and can contain those higher pressures.
The brownings, old M99 savages, model 88 winchesters are much stronger then the marlins and win M94 etc.

What Dun says may be right as I am no gun expert but I don't believe any respectable gunmaker would produce a gun that wouldn't stand up to what ever calibers they are using it for. That said I'm sure that after many years of use some have shown a tendency to have weak points. I have a friend that has used his Marlin lever action in .44 many years and it has held up well so far. My Marlin .22 is still holding up well too after 40+ years of shooting. :D

ALX- the only henry i have handled or shot is the one i just bought. I assume their 30-30 will be good quality but i much prefer the looks of the marlin. I highly reccommend the 336 in 30-30. I recently purchased a one piece ejector for mine as some have had the factory part fail on them- and i don't want that to happen in a hunting or self defence situation. I don't know if the one-piece is unbreakable but it is definetely heavier duty than the factory part.

I would have to say my marlin 30-30 and my henry .22 are probably my 2 favorite rifles.

The browning levers are nice guns but pricy. I have one in 30-06 but wish i had gotten the short action .308- much better handling. they are also made overseas and i prefer american.

spoon":3lcrqjb7 said:
What Dun says may be right as I am no gun expert but I don't believe any respectable gunmaker would produce a gun that wouldn't stand up to what ever calibers they are using it for. That said I'm sure that after many years of use some have shown a tendency to have weak points.

One of the guns that sticks out in my mind is Ruger when they came out with the carbine in .308, I was looking to buy one when they pulled it and some time later came out with the commie round version. :lol2: Lots of pistols and rifles have been recalled, it happens all the time, or used to when I was paying attention to it. And I am wondering why Winchester pulled the 30-30?

I grew up looking at the Savages, and nostalgia aside, to my eye they they were beautiful sleek looking levers. And the .300 Savage was no slouch ballistics wise as I recall. I have a friend who has a 350 remington??as I recall in a Browning lever. The neatest lever I ever handled and shot was my friends 30-30 Trapper.

I grew up with pumps and bolts and worked mostly with auto's so I find chatting levers interesting.

Winchester just quit making the 30-30 due to lack of sales if I remember right. I have one and it is a nice gun but nothing really great imho.

Latest posts