My new crush (chute to you people)

Help Support CattleToday:

Very nice. Yes, I'm jealous, too! It seems to work slick.
Beats my home-made tub and chute with a manual headgate any day.
The crush it is replacing I made about 15 years ago and I have no complaints about it, it works very well still. Nothing wrong with homemade. Mine will be moving into my 600 acre scrub block next door where the cows go after weaning their calves. It is going to be very handy having some handling facilities in there.

Ken

Nice looking chute. I like the design concept, and am curious how it holds up for you.

Two things jump out at me:

1. The bottom front edge of the large upper side access doors have a lot of leverage on the rear hinge point and upper latch area.
2. Lots of hinge points using bolts with relatively small contact areas - potential wear points.

I'd lay some rubber mat or such on the concrete for traction if it were me, seems to keep cattle a bit calmer than steel or concrete.

FWIW - square tubing is much more expensive than round pipe. I think in todays times, all of the pipe connections are done by machine so the labor is less and the material is less. And again FWIW - square tubing is much stronger. Looks like a very well made chute that will last a long time
Over here square tubing is pretty much the same as pipe if not cheaper. We have always had our steel mills here and plentifull iron ore, I don't know if that has helped although we sell a lot of ore to the likes of China and buy back the steel tube these days.

Ken

Latest posts