My new baby

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":ndpqc86w said:
What is the purpose of the orange twine?

TT as TN said the twine is holding the 'graft' in place . I took it off the next day as they had bonded and he was completely recognizable by her from scent .

TennesseeTuxedo":2q3mi48k said:
Now I see what's going on, thanks Cattle Man.

Very creative.

I got flowers from Mr HD a few days later after he saw how handy I am with a knife . ;-) :tiphat:

When we were big into sims, we had calves with swollen heads like the first pictures, when i saw the picture i thought 'that calf did not move around good at first'. My job was much harder and we lost more calves and cows. Occasionally we'll get a throwback big calf, but not like we use to when we had sim bulls. Our angus and angus mix calves hit the ground standing. They average 60 pounds and wean out at average of 700.
Explain the string, you're calling it a graft. A graft of what? I usually graft a couple calves a year but i use hobbles. I'm going to guess that your cow is more a pet? and easier to graft than something nonpet. But i'm interested in the string grafting, love to hear more about it...

Cowgirl, The twine is holding the hide of her dead calf on. You have to skin the dead calf and attach it to the new calf.

HD he looks good! What a brute! Nice job with your hide.

branguscowgirl":1xn74c8o said:
Cowgirl, The twine is holding the hide of her dead calf on. You have to skin the dead calf and attach it to the new calf.

HD he looks good! What a brute! Nice job with your hide.
Oh, i thought he was bottle feeding her calf, the first swollen head pictures, that calf died?

I've always been told you can do that. Thats too much work, hobbles are easier. But i'm not working with tame cows. We did have trouble with one pair this year so we cut the ears off the dead calf and hung them on the graft calf. I dont think it helped any. Luckily, after being hobbled for a few days, she took the calf.

hillsdown":17u5zxy3 said:
I got flowers from Mr HD a few days later after he saw how handy I am with a knife . ;-) :tiphat:
He!!, I was getting ready to send you flowers myself just in case you bumped into my wife somewhere on the internet and showed her pictures. :lol: Good job. :D I don't have patience for stuff like that but I sure admire it when I see it.

cowgirl8":3ou8z5hk said:
When we were big into sims, we had calves with swollen heads like the first pictures, when i saw the picture i thought 'that calf did not move around good at first'. My job was much harder and we lost more calves and cows. Occasionally we'll get a throwback big calf, but not like we use to when we had sim bulls. Our angus and angus mix calves hit the ground standing. They average 60 pounds and wean out at average of 700.
Explain the string, you're calling it a graft. A graft of what? I usually graft a couple calves a year but i use hobbles. I'm going to guess that your cow is more a pet? and easier to graft than something nonpet. But i'm interested in the string grafting, love to hear more about it...

His head is not swollen he is just big , he was 168 lbs at birth .
No Miss Keen is not a pet but how calm my cattle are one can easily think that, especially if you raise wild cattle apparently like yourself . She is a real ranch cow and is only handled when/if I get to AI her in the spring and (herd health) preg check and vaccinate in the fall . We have a pretty good set up as I am pretty much the only person here to handle them day to day and it helps if they like you . ;-)
If you do not believe that I run a real live ranch and not a pet farm just ask a few folks on here that I have had the privilege of them making the long trip to come and visit me and my herd .
The baler twine "string" was already explained in a few posts earlier, this calf was grafted onto the cow via the graft of her original calf .

Thanks for the suggestions on breed selection but I will stick with my breed of choice as I already stated this was a very freak thing and the cow would have had the calf on her own , but given the weather I thought it best to intervene . Btw if you calved here in Feb/March while feeding 2 months in -40 weather your BW would not be 60 lbs .

cow pollinater":ocpvxxig said:
hillsdown":ocpvxxig said:
He!!, I was getting ready to send you flowers myself just in case you bumped into my wife somewhere on the internet and showed her pictures. :lol: Good job. :D I don't have patience for stuff like that but I sure admire it when I see it.

I have had a record amount of twins this year and out of heifers, so I am bottle feeding a crap load :mad: One more bottle calf was just too much and do not underestimate a woman on her last thread of patience . :lol: :p

I already PM'd your wife CP . :tiphat: :D

cowgirl8":349o0fv8 said:
I've always been told you can do that. Thats too much work, hobbles are easier. But i'm not working with tame cows. We did have trouble with one pair this year so we cut the ears off the dead calf and hung them on the graft calf. I dont think it helped any. Luckily, after being hobbled for a few days, she took the calf.

:lol: :lol2: :tiphat: :bday:

glad the he is doing good and up and with a cow. I am still amazed at how big he was at birth. Nice work with the graft I have done it that way before or if I am home just put the cow in the shoot several times a day let the calf nurse after a few days of her milk I guess they get her scent because 90% of the time they take them. I hope you will post his weights in a few months if you can very interested to know how he grows.

Latest posts