my horse wont listen

Help Support CattleToday:

canteringchica1

Reaction score
my new horse connie who iv had for about a month and a few days, doesnt listen to me. she is 8years old and is known for being lazy but i ask her to trot by squeezing,nudging then kicking with and without spurs but she just wont go! does anyone know what i should do?

How experienced a rider are you?

Several years ago, my grandson, an inexperienced rider, finally resorted to using spurs on the advice of his instructor. The horse didn't take well to it...and began to lunge and lurch.

My grandson was able to handle that ok, however, as time went on, the horse found a new way to keep from doing what he was supposed to do. He figured out how to spit the bit out and would do it when the spurs were applied.

Long story short...my grandson was almost killed when the horse spit the bit out, the instructor jerked on the reins, the horse reared and fell over backwards.

The horse was a piece of crap...and since I owned the blasted thing, I decided to send the horse off to the auction and designate it for the kill pen.

The instructor said, "Oh, no...I can deal with this horse...I can make it do right." Famous last words. I told her she could buy the thing from me, or it was gone. She bought it, sold it to a man that was inexperienced, and from what I understand, the horse finally went to the auction...I hope to the kill pen.

This long, convoluted story is being told because...if you are not an experienced rider and you don't know the horse very well, and have only had the horse for a short time, you could get hurt using spurs and a riding crop.

However, if you are experienced, and you know the horse, heck, go for it. Were it me, that horse would be down the road.

Alice

Good thoughts, Alice...

...course, it could be the horse is a lazy 'ol nag. Or just a bomb proof kid's horse, and the critter is taking care of an inexperienced rider up top. I've seen horses that wouldn't trot because they were lazy and/or stubborn, and I've seen horses that took such good care of their rider that they wouldn't trot for fear the rider would fall off.

Or some riders are really hard on a horse, and I can't blame the pony for not wanting to go any faster than a walk. It's impossible to say without seeing the situation.

BTW Alice... how on earth does a horse with a properly adjusted bridle spit a bit out???

milkmaid":1z2pt185 said:
Good thoughts, Alice...

...course, it could be the horse is a lazy 'ol nag. Or just a bomb proof kid's horse, and the critter is taking care of an inexperienced rider up top. I've seen horses that wouldn't trot because they were lazy and/or stubborn, and I've seen horses that took such good care of their rider that they wouldn't trot for fear the rider would fall off.

Or some riders are really hard on a horse, and I can't blame the pony for not wanting to go any faster than a walk. It's impossible to say without seeing the situation.

You are right! However, only owning the horse a little over a month, I'd be worried to death. But then, I was there when my grandson was nearly killed...I saw it happen, so yes, I'm a bit leery of such things any more...especially when it comes to inexperienced riders and newly bought horses.

And no, I'm not saying this is an inexperienced rider...I'm talking about inexperienced riders in general

Alice

milkmaid":38w42il9 said:
BTW Alice... how on earth does a horse with a properly adjusted bridle spit a bit out???

Dangdest thing I ever saw, Milkmaid. But somehow he'd work that miserable tongue of his around and that bit would come outta his mouth slick as you please. That instructor tried different bits...different adjustments...well, nevermind. The blasted, sorry, lousy horse did it.

We probably put too much faith into the instructor. However, be that as it may, the horse needed to go to the kill pen...and I wished I'd stood firm on it.

Alice

Alice":11bn44s8 said:
milkmaid":11bn44s8 said:
Good thoughts, Alice...

You are right! However, only owning the horse a little over a month, I'd be worried to death. But then, I was there when my grandson was nearly killed...I saw it happen, so yes, I'm a bit leery of such things any more...especially when it comes to inexperienced riders and newly bought horses.

And no, I'm not saying this is an inexperienced rider...I'm talking about inexperienced riders in general

Alice

I kind of have the feeling this is a young person based on typing style, although I could be wrong. So I'm guessing this is an inexperienced rider.

milkmaid":39athogi said:
Alice":39athogi said:
milkmaid":39athogi said:
Good thoughts, Alice...

Alice

I kind of have the feeling this is a young person based on typing style, although I could be wrong. So I'm guessing this is an inexperienced rider.

No real way of knowing...I just don't want to insult anyone... :oops:

Alice

My apologies for giving a half baked answer. I agree there is many reasons for a horse not willing to move out, as was described before, also could be some sort of sorness or injury. I would first try some round pen work or lunge line work, just to see what the horse knows, how it moves, what kind of shape it is in. Many types of spurs out there, maybe start with the little nubs, about an inch long with a small round ball like end, very easy spur that just directs the pressure to a point of the horse, rather than a heel. If you use a crop, before you get on or use it on the horse, see how your horse reacts to the crop by just showing the horse the crop, if the horse starts to go nuts, you'll know not to use it. If you decide to use it while you're on the horse, start out with a light touch.... you don't want to smack it the first time. Start off gentle, see how the horse reacts and if needed get a little firmer.

I agree you don't want to jump on, give the horse a good smack and find yourself on a NFR finals horse.

Alan

How about quit pulling on her head and let the horse have some rein.
You might be surprized what I have seen along that line as well.And lots of times when they do move it kinda comes apart.They have never been made to do anything like that and will some times get mad.
They have been in controll all the time and now they aint.

hi my name is megz and i have my own horse called connie. i can walk,trot,canter and jump quite well. am i a complete beginner? iv been told im a novice

didnt you post this on the "hi im new here" board a couple days ago?

Just go and take some riding lessons from some one who knows what they are talking about, it is money well spent. Riding and making a horse do what you ask is more complicated then you think and I am sure you are doing something wrong, not the the horse is not listening.

Latest posts