My Gyr cross calves 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4 said:
I bought a heifer this year that is 1/4 gyr, 1/4 Dutch belted, 1/2 fleckvieh. Love her. The organic dairy states that the 1/2 gyr calves were wild and most didn't tame down but they were the healthiest calves. Our girl is very tame and healthy. She also does more running around than any other calf we have. How flighty are your calves? Here is a picture if mine
For some reason, I've been told that gyr and gyr x dairy cows doesn't last long in the milk. Their temperament isn't best and won't let milk down, therefore they're only in milk for two months then quit. So these cows are usually sold as beef cows but they'll raises whopper calves. There is a guy that is going to use Girolando (gyr x Holstein composite) semen on several of his dairy cows this summer so let's see what happens next year.

[*]mI know some breeders that take the Gyr calves to bottle feed and even send them to petting zoos to make them dog gentle but I don't do that, I let my cows raise them and I don't interfere.

Mine are So calm and easy to gentle but I know some lines, or individuals have a rogue temperament. I've been lucky I guess. I have a yearling heifer that's never been messed with, penned her up and by the second day, she's got the routine down and following me everywhere and letting me touch her here and there. She will be like my bull. Bought him directly from momma to wean here and I can literally touch any spot on his body. Excellent to handle, he even pushes cows back from me if they come in too close.

I was planning to buy a bred Gyr cow but the guy said when she was penned, she freaked and was aggressive. That's not a cow I'd ever breed. He was a good person to be so honest. Temperament means everything to me.

Ive had three ha
I bought a heifer this year that is 1/4 gyr, 1/4 Dutch belted, 1/2 fleckvieh. Love her. The organic dairy states that the 1/2 gyr calves were wild and most didn't tame down but they were the healthiest calves. Our girl is very tame and healthy. She also does more running around than any other calf we have. How flighty are your calves? Here is a picture if mine
I've had three holstein Gyr cross calves and all three are crazy compared to the others we have raised. Go in the pen and they try to climb the walls. One was old enough to go to pasture and she jumped every fence we had with ease. She went to the auction and brought good money. Still have the other two. They will be leaving too I'd guess when it's time to take them out of the barn.

Latest posts