My Gyr cross calves 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

smoothmule

Reaction score
I don't run many cows so I just breed what suits me. I love the eared cattle, purebreds and crosses.
This is my bulls first crossbred calf.

Caustic Burno said:
Like myself I am a sucker for eared cattle.

I was imprinted on my Grampa's Herefords. I will always remember the first time a load of Brahma cows arrived on the ranch. They seemed like aliens. So much hide, huge ears, humps...and their voices! Somewhere along the way they became normal - just another cow to me. Haven't seen a Brahma bull at our local sale in years. The only thing with a touch of ear around here is Brangus and there sure are a lot of them. Heck I have a couple, but I wouldn't mind seeing some more Brafords on the place they are my favorites. Give me a bald faced tiger any day!

My Brangus cow, Jasmine, is ready to pop. This will her first calf by my Gyr

This is Mick

Most importantly, my calves will be as edible as any other. Enjoying their ease of handling, ease of calving, hardiness, easy keepers and easy on the eye. No herding, I open a gate and point and in they go. Pretty sure I could call them through by name to work. I can bolus them loose in the pasture. I rarely give them and feed, fat and slick on pasture, salt, good minerals and a copper bolus once a year.

As for marketing, my calves haven't needed to go to a sale barn in years, private sales. But when they did, they brought too dollar, even here in SW Mo.

We had a good bit of flooding and in a shallow ravine, the fence came loose and my cow Jasmine was getting out a couple times a week till we found where she was getting out. She would get out, come down the road and wait in the yard till I got home from work according to the Mennonite neighbor behind us. When I pulled down our drive, she went to the gate and waited to be let back in the pasture. Fence is now fixed. Lol.

I prefer Gyr ( or in my case, I believe mine have a little Indo Brasil in them ) over Brahman. If no other reason, the temperament and I feel like the crosses are better as well.

smoothmule said:
I prefer Gyr ( or in my case, I believe mine have a little Indo Brasil
He looks it....Gyr's forehead rolls back with sweeping horns.and he's thicker..but Gyrs have a dog gentle disposition..big frame and rangy..

I bought a heifer this year that is 1/4 gyr, 1/4 Dutch belted, 1/2 fleckvieh. Love her. The organic dairy states that the 1/2 gyr calves were wild and most didn't tame down but they were the healthiest calves. Our girl is very tame and healthy. She also does more running around than any other calf we have. How flighty are your calves? Here is a picture if mine

I know some breeders that take the Gyr calves to bottle feed and even send them to petting zoos to make them dog gentle but I don't do that, I let my cows raise them and I don't interfere.

Mine are So calm and easy to gentle but I know some lines, or individuals have a rogue temperament. I've been lucky I guess. I have a yearling heifer that's never been messed with, penned her up and by the second day, she's got the routine down and following me everywhere and letting me touch her here and there. She will be like my bull. Bought him directly from momma to wean here and I can literally touch any spot on his body. Excellent to handle, he even pushes cows back from me if they come in too close.

I was planning to buy a bred Gyr cow but the guy said when she was penned, she freaked and was aggressive. That's not a cow I'd ever breed. He was a good person to be so honest. Temperament means everything to me.

Latest posts