My first tractor!

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd 02

Reaction score
I finally bought my first tractor over the weekend - a 1941Farmall A. It's not currently running as it needs a carburetor, but I'm pretty excited about the potential. The previous owner was in the midst of a rebuild when he passed. He bequeathed it to his sister who sold it to me for $450, which I thought was a bargain. I intend to continue the rebuild - I say "rebuild" instead of "restore" because I don't plan to go back to original condition with it. (Don't be surprised if it ends up maroon...) I've got a small farm and intend to put it to good use.

Without further ado...

IMG_4095.JPG

A very excited little boy:

IMG_4096.JPG

Pictured here with my other red fixer upper:

IMG_4108.JPG

All four plugs looked just like this and the pistons were shiny upon inspection, which is promising:

IMG_4109.JPG

And the valve train is pristine for being 73 years old:

IMG_4110.JPG

When I was that young man's age I drove my Uncle's Farmall just like him.
Sure looks like you have some good help.

I would say you got a good deal!! Up here that would go for much more with the antique tractor parade crowd.

It's a lot like the old IH Cub I have, but in better shape. Will take nothing to make that engine purr, I'd say it just got put together and hasn't been fired yet

Todd 02":1ihgro05 said:
I finally bought my first tractor over the weekend - a 1941Farmall A. It's not currently running as it needs a carburetor, but I'm pretty excited about the potential. The previous owner was in the midst of a rebuild when he passed. He bequeathed it to his sister who sold it to me for $450, which I thought was a bargain. I intend to continue the rebuild - I say "rebuild" instead of "restore" because I don't plan to go back to original condition with it. (Don't be surprised if it ends up maroon...) I've got a small farm and intend to put it to good use.

Without further ado...

IMG_4095.JPG

A very excited little boy:

IMG_4096.JPG

Good place for used parts: http://www.jptractorsalvage.com/

Pictured here with my other red fixer upper:

IMG_4108.JPG

All four plugs looked just like this and the pistons were shiny upon inspection, which is promising:

IMG_4109.JPG

And the valve train is pristine for being 73 years old:

IMG_4110.JPG

Nice project. That young man can be of great help to you during the rebuild. :nod:

Don't mean to tell you something you probably already know but that engine is as dry as a popcorn fart. Make sure you get some oil flowing in it before you try to bust it off (start it).

You bet I will. I pulled the drain plug from the oil pan and nary a drop of oil fell. I haven't even tried to turn the crank because I bet the cylinders are dry, so I don't know if it's seized or not. I'm actually going to go ahead and break the engine down to make sure it was reassembled correctly. Better safe than sorry.

The transmission and rear differential had no lubricant either, only condensation. The gears have a nice layer of surface rust, so I'll be pulling those also. When I picked the tractor up, it was sub-freezing and the differential was actually frozen up with ice. I had to thaw it before I could winch the tractor onto the trailer.

Todd 02":ccqru0bs said:
You bet I will. I pulled the drain plug from the oil pan and nary a drop of oil fell. I haven't even tried to turn the crank because I bet the cylinders are dry, so I don't know if it's seized or not. I'm actually going to go ahead and break the engine down to make sure it was reassembled correctly. Better safe than sorry.

The transmission and rear differential had no lubricant either, only condensation. The gears have a nice layer of surface rust, so I'll be pulling those also. When I picked the tractor up, it was sub-freezing and the differential was actually frozen up with ice. I had to thaw it before I could winch the tractor onto the trailer.

I have built and repaired a fair share of farmalls as well... One thing I would suggest is to get the tranny oil thats supposed to go in there from the dealer its pricey but you need it. Personally I wouldnt pull any of the gears for surface rust because if you put the oil in it and start using it that surface rust will be gone. No point in making more work for yourself unless you just like making work. I would try the engine out as it was before tearing down.. You can check valve clearances and compression and other things without tearing it down. If you are planning doing all that tearing down you may as well do a " restore " instead of a " rebuild " maybe I am thinking backwards but if im going to do all that work I would restore it. :2cents:

Fair enough. However, the appeal of a complete tear down is rooted in a desire to learn, not just to have an operational tractor.

It's no coincidence that I became an engineer. I was the little boy that had torn apart and reassembled his Christmas toys before dinner was served.

Besides, college football season is almost over and it's too cold outside to go fishing. ;-)

Todd 02":226n2ccd said:
Fair enough. However, the appeal of a complete tear down is rooted in a desire to learn, not just to have an operational tractor.

It's no coincidence that I became an engineer. I was the little boy that had torn apart and reassembled his Christmas toys before dinner was served.

Besides, college football season is almost over and it's too cold outside to go fishing. ;-)

I wish you well with it. good straight looking tractor alot of times they are worn slam out and beat up.

Judging by the look of the spark plug and valve train, and you said the pistons looked shiny, I'm willing to bet that engine got put together and never turned over or fired.. I think it's useless to tear it apart.. put a squirt of ATF into each plug, crank it for a half minute with fresh oil in it, and I think you'll be fine.. I'd take a look at the carb and see how that looks, most likely it's been cleaned out nicely already, as well as the distributor. I certainly think it's worth firing it up before tearing it down

I also tore all my stuff apart.. I'll admit not everything went back together, and if it did it usually had leftover parts. Over the years I've gotten a lot better at putting stuff together the right way though!

Wish I knew how many acres of tobacco I have plowed out with one just like that. Fine little tractors. You probably know don't hook a load to it too high. It'll flip backwards on you.

Sadly, it doesn't have a carburetor or any of the linkages. Sourcing an affordable carburetor and a few other necessary parts is a must before I can make the transition from "yard art" back to tractor.

The sheet metal on that thing looks great, especially the grill. That tractor won't be hard to get looking good.

Go back to that estate if you can, I'm sure the parts are kicking around there in a bucket. I'm sure there's lots of those carbs around yet..

Are they a Continental engine like the Cubs?

I have an old cub I bought with seized valves.. I got them loose and the engine running without taking anything apart.

If originality isn't of much concern to you, you might be able to hook up another type of carb without too much trouble.. If it's an updraft carb you might be able to find one from an old Wisconsin.. and it might bolt right on.

Latest posts