my first sodomy

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Why do "firsts" never cease in this game? Got a bred heifer that's been struggling with some foot rot so she hasn't been moving too good. One of the young bulls in the field musta pinned her against the hay feeder or something so she couldn't get away - the old bull doesn't look twice at things that aren't in heat - but who knows. This morning her rectum was prolapsed, bloody, and looking torn - though her attitude was still fine - eating and all. Rectum seems somewhat better at the moment. Gave her some Pen G and put her in the barnyard by herself to see what tomorrow brings.

Poor girl has been "one of those heifers". Pinkeye so bad she went blind in one eye - lost a bunch of weight during the treatment of that and never's regained it. Cycled and bred fine, then the foot rot. I think she must be immune deficient the way she's struggled with things. Was planning to try and just get some weight back on her so I could slaughter her for burger - now this.

Never a dull moment.

Caustic Burno":1o0p0qbc said:
I would think it was rectial prolapse, which is not uncommon.
Didn't have anything to do with a bull.
CB -- Doesn't a rectal prolapse generally go hand-in-hand with late-term pregnancy? When I raised pygmy goats, that's when we'd see it. ??

Kathie in Thorp":1azci4iy said:
Caustic Burno":1azci4iy said:
CB -- Doesn't a rectal prolapse generally go hand-in-hand with late-term pregnancy? When I raised pygmy goats, that's when we'd see it. ??

It can be feed related nothing more than a big hemoriod.
It get's down to do you know shyt. Are the piles loose and runny, normal patty pile's are the hard that stack up.
Got to know your shyt cause it tells you a lot about your cow.

Caustic Burno":388cvc35 said:

It's possible. She's been on leafy 1st cut alfalfa with a bovatec protein tub to build back her condition but anything's possible - either is improbable.

Now that they're bred, I had run the bred heifers in with the younger bulls that are on 2nd cut alfalfa and there was a lot of "activity" going on. So the timing and the fact that she's not heavy or heavy bred led me to believe she'd been sodomized.

Two most common cause's of rectial prolapse is a high protien diet and cocidosis(Sp). If a bull hit her rectially she would more than likely be dead due to septic posioning from a punctured intestine. Rectial prolapse goes back to management 9 time out of 10.

Caustic Burno":c1h62uas said:
Two most common cause's of rectial prolapse is a high protien diet and cocidosis(Sp).

Really? High protein and cocci loosen stool. If you go back your comment about checking shyt - then those would be loose not thick - how does loose stool result in rectal prolapse? Severe diarrhea can cause them so I suppose Cocci could if it gets bad enough. Regardless, her stool was soft piles so if she did prolapse, I'd be more inclined to think some type of blockage. In the end (no pun intended) as often happens with cattle, we end up saying "who the he77 knows.....".

angus9259":x3y2kxa8 said:
Caustic Burno":x3y2kxa8 said:
Two most common cause's of rectial prolapse is a high protien diet and cocidosis(Sp).

Really? High protein and cocci loosen stool. If you go back your comment about checking shyt - then those would be loose not thick - how does loose stool result in rectal prolapse? Severe diarrhea can cause them so I suppose Cocci could if it gets bad enough. Regardless, her stool was soft piles so if she did prolapse, I'd be more inclined to think some type of blockage. In the end (no pun intended) as often happens with cattle, we end up saying "who the he77 knows.....".

Cocci loosen's it and high protien makes it hard both will cause problems of rectial prolapse.

I agree with rectal prolapse . However if a bull did go in rectally by accident it more than likely would not even be noticed by you ,a cows rectal lining is quite tough. How do you think we can palpate them time and time again without any real damage.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /20609.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In rectal prolapse, one or more layers of the rectum protrude through the anus due to persistent tenesmus associated with intestinal, anorectal, or urogenital disease. Prolapse may be classified as incomplete, in which only the rectal mucosa is everted, or complete, in which all rectal layers are protruded.
Etiology:
Rectal prolapse is common in young animals in association with severe diarrhea and tenesmus. Causal factors include severe enteritis, endoparasitism, disorders of the rectum (eg, foreign bodies, lacerations, diverticula, or sacculation), neoplasia of the rectum or distal colon, urolithiasis, urethral obstruction, cystitis, dystocia, colitis, and prostatic disease. Perineal hernia, or other interruption of normal innervation of the external anal sphincter, may also produce prolapse.
Animals of any age, breed, or sex may be affected. Rectal prolapse is probably the most common GI problem in pigs due to diarrhea or weakness of the rectal support tissue within the pelvis. In cattle, it may be associated with coccidiosis, rabies, or vaginal or uterine prolapse; occasionally, excessive "riding" and associated traumatic injury may be causative in young bulls. It is common in sheep with short tail docking and especially in feedlot lambs, in which high-concentrate rations may be causative. The use of estrogens as growth promotants, or accidental exposure to estrogenic fungal toxins, may also predispose large animals to rectal prolapse.

hillsdown":1ycy5obn said:
I agree with rectal prolapse . However if a bull did go in rectally by accident it more than likely would not even be noticed by you ,a cows rectal lining is quite tough. How do you think we can palpate them time and time again without any real damage.

CB said it would kill her . . .

Standard variety rectal prolapse is possible since that's the only actual evidence I have though the question would be "why" - but, perhaps there is no answer to that.

Does accidental rectal insertion ever even happen? Seriously. When I saw how she was torn back there - it didn't look like a prolapse, but the rate of her recovery certainly suggests that could be it.

angus9259":2lys9hdi said:
Does accidental rectal insertion ever even happen? Seriously.

Yes. I have seen it happen a few times. (actually witnessing the 'event'). However, rectal prolapse was not the result.

Hopefully your critter will continue to 'heal-up' fine.

Katherine

i have also seen it happen to one of our cow's and it wasn't pretty the bull ended up tearing her up so bad she did not recover..and yes we did end up getting the bull away from her but it was to late.

Latest posts