my cows are sick may be poisened by something?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi people,I have a big problem,overnight my drought marster x's became verry disoriented and find it hard to stay on their feet (it's like their drunk) they are eating and drinking but not as much as normal.No sign of ticks ( paralysis).I have some lantana on my property, does any one no if this or anything else could course these symptems.Thank you.

Don't know if it is the cause of the sudden problems with your cattle, but Lantana IS poisonous to cattle. I'm speaking of the bush/shrub found here in the southeast part of the USA, and can only assume it to be the same thing as your Lantana. Small bush that puts out many tiny flowers in clusters -- sometimes pink & white, other varieties have orange & yellow flowers. Some newer varieties have solid yellow or gold flowers.

The following may be instructive, but if you do a google search for something like "lantana poisoning in cattle" I bet you will find quite a lot to read as well as pictures of the various varieties.

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~forage/library/ ... page10.htm

Caustic Burno":gw84bd76 said:
Are you located in the British Isles. If so what you described doesn't sound good you need to get professional help in there yesterday. I have vet comming today ,o im in australia

Thanks mate for your reply as i said a vet is comming today dont think they got into lantana but it sounds like the same stuff the other bloke said with the pink flowers might be lack of oxygen in there blood from what i was reading about from the index page, i'll let you no what the vet said thanks everone for your input

Patrick Griffin":3vj8dlev said:
Thanks "mate" for your reply as i said a vet is comming today dont think they got into lantana but it sounds like the same stuff the other "bloke" said with the pink flowers might be lack of oxygen in there blood from what i was reading about from the index page, i'll let you no what the vet said thanks everone for your input

Hey Wewild,

You want to take a shot at "mate" and "bloke"! :lol:

1848":3dg8tqxw said:
Patrick Griffin":3dg8tqxw said:
Thanks "mate" for your reply as i said a vet is comming today dont think they got into lantana but it sounds like the same stuff the other "bloke" said with the pink flowers might be lack of oxygen in there blood from what i was reading about from the index page, i'll let you no what the vet said thanks everone for your input

Hey Wewild,

You want to take a shot at "mate" and "bloke"! :lol:

The English sent folks to Australia and GA. They may be some of my kin folks. Least ways, they stand a good chance of having something in common with my ancestors.

Thanks for everyones input, thought i would let you know what the outcome was, 3 day sickness i've been told dont no if you have it over there but its caused by mosquitoes.should be right in a few day's.for those of you that dont no mate and bloke in aussie land is a term used to friends (their your mates)

Now fellers.....hear, hear..... I will keep a keen eye on these Aussies for you...I know the language having been married to one for many a moons.

I will sift though the posts for those very subtle, but yet demeaning terms and phrases that one should watch for.

Need not take offence at 'bloke', mate' or the like.

look out for 'deg', 'potty dodger', 'wife's a bike', 'bloody' , 'bloomin' and any time you are refered to in the name of any past or current politician.....lol.

I was being called a 'deg' for years before I found out it was actually a term of endearment, or a bit of sheep poop stuck to the wool, which ever you mean it at the time. usually pretty clear the meaning when the word 'bloody' or 'd*mn' is placed in front of , or behind same. ;-) Not to worry mates, I gotcherbacks! lol:cboy:

thought i'd let everyone know that my cows are all back on there feet and improving.all i did was make sure thay had food and water beside them so they did not dehydrate. :D

Glad to hear that Patrick, can you tell us what the cause was yet? We can all learn from knowing that!

And yeah I did forget Sheila didn't I/
ooops my bad...well I am not even allowed to use that word here anyways......it usually refers to a pretty young girl....and smart husbands don't even mention such things around jealous, yet equally pretty (well most of the time) wives! besides the true Aussies have a way of saying it, that a Damn Yank like me just can't do, it almost sounds vulgar coming from me.:cboy:
yee haa and Gday!

Latest posts