My Bull Ain't Worth It

Help Support CattleToday:

When all is said and done, I suspect the words "We wuz skeered and feared fer our lives" (or some form of those words) will be worked into this equation.
And that, is all it's going to take.
"I feared for my life".

Home free.

TennesseeTuxedo":3nndonso said:
Hard to imagine rural deputies acting this way. City cops, yeah maybe, but not guys presumably from cattle country.
greybeard":3nndonso said:
When all is said and done, I suspect the words "We wuz skeered and feared fer our lives" (or some form of those words) will be worked into this equation.
"I feared for my life".

Home free.

I read earlier that it was possibly the first ever shooting involving deputies in the county so theres a good chance they were panic when the gun accidentally went off and fired cause they were scared.

Craig Miller":147fetzk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":147fetzk said:
Hard to imagine rural deputies acting this way. City cops, yeah maybe, but not guys presumably from cattle country.
greybeard":147fetzk said:
"I feared for my life".

Home free.

I read earlier that it was possibly the first ever shooting involving deputies in the county so theres a good chance they were panic when the gun accidentally went off and fired cause they were scared.

A very sad deal indeed. First off I want to clarify this is only one side of the story, so with that pointed out. This is pretty much the way imagined things happened, rural cops in my area are very much undertrained and unskilled in law enforcement and yes I have had first hand knowledge several times. In our area the county sheriff has a lot of turn over on the force and only a very few have knowledge of rural life and the practice of carrying firearms, so I feel confident the cops involved in the shooting weren't interested in anyone helping them to have a little target practice. The cops grabbed the rifle, it went off and opened up on the rancher and then regained control of the scene by throwing two family members to the ground and cuffing them.

If the family's side of the story is true I hope the cops involve serve some time. With luck there is video evidence to support either parties story.

Finally, I agree with GB, I feared for my life will be a great defense for the cops.

Craig Miller":b61s3fol said:
That does seem to be the most common denominator nowadays.
As my nephew told me last year, "If you have to shoot an intruder at night Uncle Don, make sure you tell 911 or the first responder that gets there, that you feared for your life--use those words. It works for us, and it'll work for you".

Former Liberty County deputy and current patrol officer in one of the largest suburbs of Houston.
He was absolutely 100% serious.

I know it's only one side of the story, but reading that account makes me sick to my stomach. Not that it's going to bring anyone back, but hopefully everyone learns the truth.

Alan":1kkhndlb said:
Finally, I agree with GB, I feared for my life will be a great defense for the cops.

Alan I had no idea "feared" was in your vocabulary up that way or do you just use it when being interviewed for Tv? :lol2:

TexasBred":utxf2jju said:
Alan":utxf2jju said:

Alan I had no idea "feared" was in your vocabulary up that way or do you just use it when being interviewed for Tv? :lol2:

As you know TB, I was born and raised in the PNW. I never heard or knew the meaning of the word, I still refuse to let it cross my lips. But at about 12 I heard it for the first time, out on the playground behind the bleachers. When I got home that night I asked my dad what it meant, he just said never to speak it again, it's coming up here with those SOB's moving up here from Texas and California....... :hide: :hide: :lol:

Alan":14ci17q5 said:
TexasBred":14ci17q5 said:
Alan":14ci17q5 said:

As you know TB, I was born and raised in the PNW. I never heard or knew the meaning of the word, I still refuse to let it cross my lips. But at about 12 I heard it for the first time, out on the playground behind the bleachers. When I got home that night I asked my dad what it meant, he just said never to speak it again, it's coming up here with those SOB's moving up here from Texas and California....... :hide: :hide: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: I knew it. :nod: :nod:

Alan":69mv4wr9 said:

You guys have Californians, too? I know the word fear. Just drive with some of them in the winter and you'll understand the meaning of fear. That and the word 'Pucker,' too.

Bestoutwest":3denjyxd said:
Alan":3denjyxd said:

You guys have Californians, too? I know the word fear. Just drive with some of them in the winter and you'll understand the meaning of fear. That and the word 'Pucker,' too.
X2

The nephews story sounds plausible. I wonder what the reason for grabbing Yantis and spinning him around when he was about to shoot was? If the gun accidently went off when Yantis was getting turned around, I can see how things unfolded as they did.

I would guess Yantis wasn't in a very good mood at the time and I would guess the officers were aware of that. Gun goes off as Yantis is turned around to face the deputies and they think he's firing at them. In their mind it was probably a kill or be killed situation.

My son was thinking of going into law enforcement for a while. I'm glad that idea has seemed to pass. It's a thankless job and one split second decision can ruin many lives.

ChrisB":p0q53v54 said:
This is a tragic story for all those involved.

But one thing that I find really interesting in this story is the comments section under the newspaper articles and the report that the sheriffs department has been receiving threats. In comparing it to the Michael Brown incident in Missouri and other similar cases that have been in the news the last year or two - In the Brown case statements given by family, friends and the "black community" were all quick to jump to the conclusion that Brown was innocent and the cop basically murdered him and they quickly accused the police department of a cover up. Most people that were more conservative were quick to defend the officer and believe his side of the story. I remember thinking 'how could the black community be so gullible as to believe Brown was innocent?'.

No in Idaho we have a rancher who was shot by police. As of now we don't know why. But it seems the majority of people in rural areas are quick to believe that the rancher was innocent and it was basically a cold blooded murder. And I would guess the majority of people believing this are the same ones that were defending the police in all these other cases. In a way I feel like I need to apologize the black community, because it turns out the white community is much the same - quick to defend their own regardless of evidence. Not that any evidence has been released either way in the Idaho case. But it seems people are already claiming there will be a cover up. It kind of proves that most people will believe what they want regardless of any evidence.

Just find it interesting...
The rancher hadn't just knocked over a 7-11 for a 40 oz and the cigars you smoke weed in and he didn't have thuggish postings all over Facebook.
Also the sheriff was real uneasy about the whole thing and according to one news story was putting distance between the department and the two deputy's. Also a state trooper said something to the effect, I don't remember the exact words, about never seeing something so effed up.
And I didn't think it was all on the deputy's until a lot of the stuff started coming out.

letting that bull lay there and bleed out while killing his owner.. wow.. people really are so detached from the 'real' world. they probably started facebooking and tweeting after they had everyone handcuffed.

insane.

good.

i'm sure the cops who murdered him are still wearing that shiny badge though.

Michael Brown's family received 1.5 million in June 2017 from the city of Ferguson Missouri and officer Wilson
was cleared of any wrong doing. Some believe a fear of riots if the Brown family was not compensated played an
important role in the settlement with Ferguson.

Son of Butch":16a2crwn said:
Michael Brown's family received 1.5 million in June 2017 from the city of Ferguson Missouri and officer Wilson
was cleared of any wrong doing. Some believe a fear of riots if the Brown family was not compensated played an
important role in the settlement with Ferguson.

A wealthy community like Ferguson won't even miss it.

Latest posts