My Bull Ain't Worth It

Help Support CattleToday:

It amazes the crap out of me how someone can hit a 2000 lb animal in the road in broad open daylight. How many of you continue driving at highway speeds in the same lane of traffic if you see a big animal on the road rough-of-way? I would like to hear more detail on this incident. I'll bet that Mr. Yantis had the rifle with him to put the animal down, not shoot an officer or anyone else. Very sad.

lavacarancher":17l5jrom said:
It amazes the crap out of me how someone can hit a 2000 lb animal in the road in broad open daylight. How many of you continue driving at highway speeds in the same lane of traffic if you see a big animal on the road rough-of-way? I would like to hear more detail on this incident. I'll bet that Mr. Yantis had the rifle with him to put the animal down, not shoot an officer or anyone else. Very sad.

It was a black bull and happened at 6:45 pm which is well after dark. The area was also open range which means if you hit one you get to pay for it. You can bet he had the rifle to put the bull down. It is very sad indeed.

I think that there are a lot of facts missing right now. I haven't seen a lot details released to the local papers, only what's 'pertinant.' This seems like they are waiting for something to be finalized before all the details are released. IE. The law enforcement community has learned from Fergusson, MO.

Dave":16pt6uyy said:
You can bet he had the rifle to put the bull down. It is very sad indeed.

This is ID, you never know. The guy could have brought it to 'make amends' with whomever hit his animal. There were a lot of whackjobs from ID that drove down to the Cliven Bundy fight a while ago. We've got the corner market on weirdos it seems.

lavacarancher":16pt6uyy said:
It amazes the crap out of me how someone can hit a 2000 lb animal in the road in broad open daylight. How many of you continue driving at highway speeds in the same lane of traffic if you see a big animal on the road rough-of-way? .

A lot of the open range is out in the middle of nowhere where it's twisty and pretty high speed. Where we live, near population, we don't have much of it around, if any.

No matter how this shakes out, it's a sad deal. State Police are investigating and not saying much yet. Council is very small, very rural; most folks in the area farm/ranch or work in timber. Spent a total of several weeks over 8-10 years elk hunting Midvale > Council > Cambridge. Beautiful country. A couple things have come out via the media: That the rancher's wife, upon learning of the ruckus, suffered a massive heart attack and is in critical condition in a Boise hospital. A reporter went yesterday or today to the door of the rancher's home, and was told by the relative that answered that he had been within 10 feet when the shots were fired, and that the rancher "had left his dinner table to be slaughtered." On the lighter side, one media source referred to the critter repeatedly as a "cow bull."

I also know the area, which means nothing. Although something sure stinks here, the two media reports posted say nothing at all, other than a bull got hit by a Subaru, cops took long enough to take action that the owner of the bull showed up with a rifle and got shot by the cops...... For what reason? no clue..... A rural, long time rancher, known by many, shows up at a scene where his bull got hit by a car on the road with a rifle (which is legal) and was killed by law enforcement. The question still is why?....... It could be drama by the media or could be a good shooting or could be panic by the cops..... It stinks and no one to blame yet.

The Obama and Sharpton and Black Lives matter comments . . . you treat this like a joke. I'm embarrassed for those of you that have done it. This has not affected just a family, but a whole community. It will likely turn out to be a couple of accidents, and maybe a bad call, that turned into tragedy. Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves.

Doesn't pass the smell test for me. Lets see that video all the cop cars are equipped with. I read the facebook comments from the locals, would be nice to confirm what they are saying, which is pretty damning towards the cops, which would explain why the officials are so "tight lipped" as the reporter put it.

Kathie in Thorp":3iy09xdc said:
The Obama and Sharpton and Black Lives matter comments . . . you treat this like a joke. I'm embarrassed for those of you that have done it. This has not affected just a family, but a whole community. It will likely turn out to be a couple of accidents, and maybe a bad call, that turned into tragedy. Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves.

You don't have to worry about any of them coming to the area and making a big deal out of this unless the victim was black and there is money to be made off it. Now that's a fact...sorry if I offended you.

I work with a person that knows someone related to the rancher that died. From what I've heard, if/when what I've heard comes out it's going to be very interesting to see what happens. It seems like the police might have some explaining to do.

Kathie in Thorp":18id74dh said:

You are absolutely correct. This is going to effect the community pretty hard. It's a small town of about 800, similar to where most of you live.

Kathie in Thorp":18id74dh said:
On the lighter side, one media source referred to the critter repeatedly as a "cow bull."

I know what media source you're referring to, and your secret is safe with me. :cowboy:

Latest posts