My beef finishes tough

Help Support CattleToday:

stevemsinger

Reaction score
We never used to have this problem. I have finished a charlois, hereford, and limousine. We grain them heavy for the last 90 days and they look great when they are going to the butcher. Their finish weight will be between 800-1000 pounds and their age will be no more than 15 months. The flavor when we get them back is excellent, but they are very tough with the exception of the sirloins which are tenderer. Not sure why they would be coming back tough. We thought it was the charlois the first time, so we did the next two of a different breed with the same results. Anyone have any ideas on why they are finishing so tough?

Excited when slaughtered, too short of hang time, genetics are what first comes to mind

I agree with Dun but I would put "too short of hang-time" as the number one suspect.

A few options come to mind:

1. Genetics
2. Adrenaline at processing
3. Meat switched at the butcher (did you change your butcher recently? or did they change management?)

I agree with the above, particularly the hang time. If your locker won't hang for a couple of weeks, find one that will. I'd also put some more weight on them. 800lbs is still a calf in most breeds. I've weaned 700lbers, and 90 days on grain would have added a few hundred pounds. Time on grain lets them build fat, and fat makes meat more tender.

Stressful conditions can cause meat problems, either right at slaughter as mentioned or longer term. That can include poor feed, crowding, lack of water or shade etc..

Your butcher is switching the meat. He can tell that you have some high quality meat hanging there, he takes yours and sells it for $5 a pound, and gives you some old hostien that nobody wants. Happens all the time. :x

Toby L.":elgw8uar said:
Your butcher is switching the meat. He can tell that you have some high quality meat hanging there, he takes yours and sells it for $5 a pound, and gives you some old hostien that nobody wants. Happens all the time. :x

A well finished holstein is dam good too.

Toby L.":d8w4xk5f said:
It doesn't happen nearluy as often as people woud like to believe. Just cause you raised it doesn;t mean that it's the best eating beef in the world. Frequently it's about like the stuff you buy in the store but dry aged.

dun":1r68u3tt said:
Excited when slaughtered, too short of hang time, genetics are what first comes to mind
I totally agree.
Even good genetics can be ruined if the processor is mishandling the cattle. Did he hire new help?
Hang time. I have gone 21 days.
Genetics. All Angus do not qualify for CAB. Not all Brahman are tough. Never assume a breed determines what you are putting on the table.

What is the weight/frame/flesh of the dam that raised it? Animals finish at a percentage of their mother so if she was 800-1000 lbs. then you might be able to raise a mature muscled beef at that weight, if she was larger then you may have a problem, grain alone doesn't make tender meat, it's more complicated than that.

Marbling and tenderness are related to maturity and frame and marbling is some of the last fat to be put on. An animal that appears fat at 1000 lbs. may not really be mature until 1200-1300 lbs. or more if the dam was 1100-1200 lbs. and thick fleshed and framed.

Grain feeding has less to do with marbling and tenderness than genetics, frame and the true mature size of an animal.

dun":psytna4o said:
Toby L.":psytna4o said:
It doesn't happen nearluy as often as people woud like to believe. Just cause you raised it doesn;t mean that it's the best eating beef in the world. Frequently it's about like the stuff you buy in the store but dry aged.
Kinda like our own kids are always better than everyone elses kids. ;-)

Jogeephus":yf0zx0yf said:
You jest about that cause you just haven't seen my children walk on water. ;-)
If they know where the rocks are it's easy!

I agree with most everything said here. Genetics, Hang Time, etc. I sell freezer beef every March. Most of the calves will be 12 months old. My market is for live weights of no more than 1,000 lbs. I have to feed these calves through the winter but they get hay and free choice feed until the last couple of weeks when the only get the grain. The butcher hangs between 18-21 days depending upon the carcass weight. I haven't had any complaints on tenderness or flavor. The breed I have will either be straight Herefords or Black Baldies. I've tasted both and can't tell one from the other. Also while they are hanging in the cooler they looks the same (no matter if the hide is red or black).

wtrapp":ivjghwue said:
I agree with most everything said here. Genetics, Hang Time, etc. I sell freezer beef every March. Most of the calves will be 12 months old. My market is for live weights of no more than 1,000 lbs. I have to feed these calves through the winter but they get hay and free choice feed until the last couple of weeks when the only get the grain. The butcher hangs between 18-21 days depending upon the carcass weight. I haven't had any complaints on tenderness or flavor. The breed I have will either be straight Herefords or Black Baldies. I've tasted both and can't tell one from the other. Also while they are hanging in the cooler they looks the same (no matter if the hide is red or black).
I just had to emphasize this. Kinda made me chuckle when I was reading it.

Another one shot wonder that hasn;t been backsince posting the original

Why do you think I was a smart azz with my reply? Then it's funny how so many people try to correct me, that's an other reason I don't post very many things on this site. It's hard to use sarcasm in written form.

novatech":li001xpr said:
dun":li001xpr said:
I totally agree.
Even good genetics can be ruined if the processor is mishandling the cattle. Did he hire new help?

I purchased some angus heifers and one is very well muscled but wild. She will run you over when you try to work her...

I am considering the locker plant based on her looks but I assume she will be cranked up for over an hour before they put her down.

What are the odds of her being a tough one???

Stocker Steve":39rvsyt2 said:
novatech":39rvsyt2 said:
dun":39rvsyt2 said:
I totally agree.

I purchased some angus heifers and one is very well muscled but wild. She will run you over when you try to work her...

I am considering the locker plant based on her looks but I assume she will be cranked up for over an hour before they put her down.

What are the odds of her being a tough one???
pretty fair chance plus sometimes it can give the meat an "off" taste and small

Latest posts