How much should I be feeding my angus beef steers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Booksmic96

Reaction score
We have 2 11 month old angus beef steers that we are raising for personal use and sale to friends. We are strictly feeding them on a grass diet. We are unsure of how many flakes of hay we should be feeding them per day at this stage. They do have access to forage during the day, but by this point in the year it is pretty dried out and stripped down. They are eating a 3 grain hay mixture once a day. They are about 1100 pounds right now. Can anyone suggest how many flakes we should be giving each steer at this point?

Booksmic96 said:
We have 2 11 month old angus beef steers that we are raising for personal use and sale to friends. We are strictly feeding them on a grass diet. We are unsure of how many flakes of hay we should be feeding them per day at this stage. They do have access to forage during the day, but by this point in the year it is pretty dried out and stripped down. They are eating a 3 grain hay mixture once a day. They are about 1100 pounds right now. Can anyone suggest how many flakes we should be giving each steer at this point?
If you have them to 1100 lb at 11 months old on strictly grass you sure don't need to be asking for any advice here. Tell us your secret.

Booksmic96 said:
If they were 100lbs at birth they've been gaining 3lbs a day since they hit the dirt. I say your doing 1 hell of a job just feeding grass and hay only their mommas must be some big ole girls

Latest posts