Must be the weather

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
This calving season has been veery strange here. We've got about 15 calves on the ground; I say about because we had two yesterday, and they haven't been logged in yet on the books, so my numbers are fuzzy now until I can get my notebook in my hand. Anyway, I've usually tagged calves at birth, with a number tag. For some reason, this calving year (2010-2011), the momas have all gone nuts.

These are all calm cattle that are 5+ years old. I cull cows that are too mean at birth. I've have three really close calls already. First was an old Brangus that normally could care less what I do. This year when I grabbed the calf, she jumped over it to get at me. Good thing she slipped while jumping, or I'd still be hurting. As it was she pushed me back on my butt about 4 or 5 feet. Second was a true Superbaldy. I caught her calf while it was sleeping about a day old, put the tag in quickly, and the calf never made a sound. Moma saw me came running up (by this time I was back on the mule driving past her), and she charged the mule. Took her a week to settle down. This is a cow who normally lets me walk up to any her calves and spray the navel, put a tag, etc. and just stands back and watches. Third was yesterday evening. One of my best Beefmaster cows that is about 7 yars old put her head down on me and started coming. I backed off quickly.

Could it be that I'm getting older/slower or is it something in the weather/water :) ; I've sure had some close calls this year. I may start tagging as they come through the corral from the front pastures to the back.

cypressfarms":2fwomm4z said:
This calving season has been veery strange here. We've got about 15 calves on the ground; I say about because we had two yesterday, and they haven't been logged in yet on the books, so my numbers are fuzzy now until I can get my notebook in my hand. Anyway, I've usually tagged calves at birth, with a number tag. For some reason, this calving year (2010-2011), the momas have all gone nuts.

These are all calm cattle that are 5+ years old. I cull cows that are too mean at birth. I've have three really close calls already. First was an old Brangus that normally could care less what I do. This year when I grabbed the calf, she jumped over it to get at me. Good thing she slipped while jumping, or I'd still be hurting. As it was she pushed me back on my butt about 4 or 5 feet. Second was a true Superbaldy. I caught her calf while it was sleeping about a day old, put the tag in quickly, and the calf never made a sound. Moma saw me came running up (by this time I was back on the mule driving past her), and she charged the mule. Took her a week to settle down. This is a cow who normally lets me walk up to any her calves and spray the navel, put a tag, etc. and just stands back and watches. Third was yesterday evening. One of my best Beefmaster cows that is about 7 yars old put her head down on me and started coming. I backed off quickly.

Could it be that I'm getting older/slower or is it something in the weather/water :) ; I've sure had some close calls this year. I may start tagging as they come through the corral from the front pastures to the back.

You need some help.

A couple of years ago a neighbor and I were having this disscussion in the summertime about our cows acting wild and stupid and protective of their turf. We wondered if maybe a cat was bothering them or hanging around. They shot one around here now, and several people had been reporting seeing them. We had no experience with what a cow acts like with a cat around. gs

could be a cat. I know we have had people claim to have seen one too, but I always take those reportings with a grain of salt. We bought a donkey last year to help with our coyote and dog problem. Wonder how they would react to a mountain lion.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3epa80bz said:
could be a cat. I know we have had people claim to have seen one too, but I always take those reportings with a grain of salt. We bought a donkey last year to help with our coyote and dog problem. Wonder how they would react to a mountain lion.

Haven't you seen the pictures of the mule taking one apart. They were going around the internet last year.

Black bear have almost become a nuisance down here; that may be it, the moms are just on their toes because they know what been around; that would explain their protective behavior. That's fine with me, I'll just start tagging as they go through the catch pen

I caught a two day old heifer down at the farm a bit ago. Mom was about 50 yards out and the calf was laid up. I got on the calf quick, the calf bellered and momma came a running. Calf ran to momma so I got a free breath with no problem.

What are the deer doing...a cat will bring the deer out of the woods and into civilization. Watch the deer herd movement, if there is alot of adgitation and looking around more than normal could be you have a cat problem. Sounds a bit strange but a hand held black light will detect the spray of cats, the urine glows under black light...go out and have a ride around and look for signs of feeding and marking.
Just my opinion, take with a grain of salt.
DMc

tagging young calves like that, to me, just isnt worth the risk and hassle anymore. you never can tell about a cow. sometimes they just flip out on you. we used to do it all the time. but i can tell you which calf belongs to whom anyway without tags.

Beefy":26fjhk9d said:
tagging young calves like that, to me, just isnt worth the risk and hassle anymore. you never can tell about a cow. sometimes they just flip out on you. we used to do it all the time. but i can tell you which calf belongs to whom anyway without tags.
I have always expected every cow to protect her offspring. Usually lasts for a couple of weeks and their hormones go back to normal (could be genetic instinct I don't know). If a newborn has a problem then I use a hay ring chained to a front end loader, regardless of the temperament of mom.

Beefy":1b9n7ja8 said:

I've got too many brangus babies to tell the difference when they all get crowded in to the working pens. Last year I missed about 6 tags. I had DOBs. I just gave them numbers and later on when they were in the pasture, I figured which number went to which cow.

I have had stockers try to take me but never a calving cow. The cows with attitude get culled before then. I do have a couple that will swing their head side to side when you approach their newborn calf - - and I give those a couple days to settle down before we get up close and personal.

Latest posts