Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

It's a good thing we don't live too close. You and I would be having all sorts of projects.... I like those calves for their build. My son thinks I am crazy, but I really like to do the "different route" .... and dairy beef x calves are getting numerous here so that there might be a market for making up "groups" of them and selling at the one sale where there are more dairy buyers. I had a "lowline" cow I bought at a bred sale. Paid like $350 or 400 for her. Called her shorty. Built like a small tank. Bred her angus and her calves would be as tall as her at 6-7 months. Have some of her daughters in the herd and they do a good job with the calves. She finally came up open and when I checked her mouth she had 1 nub of a tooth. I would buy some more in a heartbeat even though son thinks I am nuts.....

It's a good thing we don't live too close. You and I would be having all sorts of projects.... I like those calves for their build. My son thinks I am crazy, but I really like to do the "different route" .... and dairy beef x calves are getting numerous here so that there might be a market for making up "groups" of them and selling at the one sale where there are more dairy buyers. I had a "lowline" cow I bought at a bred sale. Paid like $350 or 400 for her. Called her shorty. Built like a small tank. Bred her angus and her calves would be as tall as her at 6-7 months. Have some of her daughters in the herd and they do a good job with the calves. She finally came up open and when I checked her mouth she had 1 nub of a tooth. I would buy some more in a heartbeat even though son thinks I am nuts.....
Nothing wrong with a few side projects.lol
I was going to put the heifers with a dexter bull but i put them on CL for giggles. More inquiries than i would have thought and sold in less than a week.

That would be a good guess @MurraysMutts ! Ill have to see if i can find a pic of a dexter and angus cross calf. Sisters bull got out with my grandpas brangus cross cows a couple years ago.

Wet calf pictures.
They've either been in the trailer or something else came along and ate 7 pounds of creep feed and a fresh Square bale of hay! 😆
They are scared to death. All mobbed up like that every time I come around. At least they ain't jumpers!!

"How many days til they come running for feed??"

I'm thinking 9! 🤣
20220321_181721.jpg20220321_181626.jpg20220321_181621.jpg

I don't know how all Dexter's are, but we had a bull calf that was half Dexter, 1/4 jersey 1/4 Angus and at 6 months old he would charge anyone who came into his pen, and he was on his mom the first almost 6 months of his life.

I don't know how all Dexter's are, but we had a bull calf that was half Dexter, 1/4 jersey 1/4 Angus and at 6 months old he would charge anyone who came into his pen, and he was on his mom the first almost 6 months of his life.
It was probly the jersey in him. I've heard jersey bulls can have lil man syndrome and try to kill anything that's bigger than them!
🤣

These seem pretty kool so far. The lil bull is definitely the most skittish tho. I'll get them nads off of him soon! May tie him to a tree for a bit. Seems to work with trailer jumping crazy white heifers.... 😆

Miss piggy here....
😆
They got hay and feed figured out! Tho they are still a bit skittish. Especially the lil bull. They are about done bawling tho. Just a squeak every now and then. Bessie and babies will go out this weekend then I'll let em have the whole pen unless they go to a new home tomorrow night...
Ain't she a lil toad??? 😀
20220324_195156.jpg

Remember Snowball?
She's a bagging up!
20220521_194311.jpg20220521_194307.jpg
I love that lil bit of white on her chin!

Snow is the one who's calf got stepped on last year.

Sugar (her lil sis) weaned a great steer calf, a bit early so I could let her grow. She does not appear to be bagging up yet but definitely appears heavy bred.

They've both grown a bit since I gave em a break. Decided to keep em both as they both calved as yearlings, and I wanna see what they do for me. Should be bred to Lil Ricky, the both of em.

I'll get a pic of Sugar before too long..

Got a couple better pics while tagging.
Yes tagging. No banding. Yall know what that means...
Won't have to feed mama this year. She's making plenty!
I'll add some more pics to my Brahma cross bull thread...
20220531_170634.jpg
I know what your thinking. But look at them earz. Can't be Big Sexy's....
Screenshot_20220531-172050_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts