Murray Greys make history at Tallangatta show!

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
For the first time in the history of the show, the Murray Grey breed were the winners of the interbreed pair: Champion Interbreed Bull and Champion Interbreed Female.

Our bull, Moorabinda Cappucino won the Interbreed Bull by a unanimous decision. The representative judge who spoke on behalf of the judging panel, and who incidently was a Hereford man and generally puts Herefords up no matter what (bl00dy show politics) described him as "THE bull . . . a standout winner, easily the most complete, structurally sound, free moving . . . "

Cappa is just over 32 months.

The murray grey cow, exhibited by Murray Sutherland, was then named Interbreed Female. She is a 900kg cow with a four month bull calf at foot. A long, deep, thick cow that moves around the ring well, and knows just how to raise a calf.

A great day for the Murray Grey breed!

Interbreed winners
Cattle_Tallangatta_008.JPG

Our bull
Cattle_Tallangatta_010.JPG

Congrats!! He is a really fine looking bull. Not one thing I would change about him (that's saying a lot. 8) ) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congatulations!!! I've always liked MGs :heart: and yours is a great representative of the breed. :D

:clap: WOW :clap: Karen thats great! :D
What a great looking set of animals, by the way which person are you in the pic?
Keep up the good work and go get them again :D

Keren
I'd say... none of the above are you?!
Would like to see the bull from a better angle...

Same here Carla, I say none of the above :p

Well done Keren, it's a pretty awesome to win Interbreed, no matter how big or small the show.

Keren,
We just started our herd of Murrays last year... so I love news on the breed. Congratulations... he is just awesome!!!
Somebody needs to read the post a little closer and I think the answer will come as to who's who. haha.

Keren":i95ilybu said:
Wisteria . . . now I'm curious. Which person do you think I am, and what in the post made you think that?
Well, you know the saying, "to assume makes an a_s out of you and me"... I ASSUMED based on your post that you were the one pictured with the winning bull and Murray Sutherland is the one pictured with the cow and ???? is the woman with the cow's bullcalf by her side... am I wrong? If so, I apologize. Congratulations all the same.

Well Karen, sorry to bring up an old post but Ive been away for a bit of time.
Which one are you.......................please tell.
By the way how did he do at the other show :D

No problem, he deserves to be top page again. I love looking at him too.
O.K. Karen I know your on so answer my question....................please :help:

:lol2: Showsteer, I'm not in the photo ;-) I was the one behind the camera.

At the next show (which was his last - he has been retired and turned out with the heifers) he won the grand champion murray grey bull but missed out on the interbreed title. We also won the champion murray grey female with a baby heifer.

Any way I say this it will sound like sour grapes, and its not I promise you. A lot of people were of the opinion that our heifer and bull should have been the interbreed pair, that they were outstanding in the lineup. But, thats what you get isnt it, everyone has a different opinion and if it wasnt so, it wouldnt be interesting!

Cappa is enjoying being with the girls, and we have an (almost) all-new show team to prepare for our next show season, starting in September. There is a very promising bull calf who will be 13 mths at the start of the season, so it will be interesting to see how he goes. I think he is half brother to cappa (same bull) and we also have a heifer in the line up who is full sister to cappa.

Thanks for the nice comments!

dang, I thought the kids and I finally had a face to go with the name.
Congrats on your wins, I still feel he is the best Murray Grey I have ever seen and Ive seen at least three in my lifetime. :compute:
I'm glad you had the crowd on your side, that says a lot if not more than the judges opinion. :D When it comes down to the best of the best it also means the breed the judge likes the best not necessarily the best animals :( good luck at the next shows

Keren, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MGs originate in New South Wales? If this is so, shouldn't the judges perfer them, since you said MGs are usually disciminated against, I now I wonder if I'm wrong.

Farm girl, you are right, they did originate in NSW. However, while not a minority breed they are certainly not a majority breed. Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn basically dominates beef production in our area, and it is hard to compete with that. Charolais, Limousin and Simmental are also popular in the showring. Little by little though, we are proving with our animals that a MG can be as good as or better than those breeds. However, there are a lot of substandard MGs around so that makes things difficult too.

Latest posts