Murray Grey Bull to Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of our 4 year old Herd Sire. Any feedback is appreciated.

DSCF00501.JPG

DSCF00471.JPG

One nice animal, good length and hip, nice thick legs and good solid feet. That is a very nice bull. I have been looking at the MG's a lot lately. Look like good cattle.

I agree, nice bull you have there. He looks very much like our silver herd sire. Very nice and long - length equals weight and weight gets you paid. The only thing (it may just be the photo) is his head . . . he's certainly in touch with his feminine side! But performance is what counts, not looks. What are his calves like? What are his bloodlines?

I agree with your comments about his head. I don't much care for it either although I would say it's not as bad in person (I couldn't really get him to raise his head right for the picture. We've had one set of calves from him and they come muscular and growthy. He traces back to The Glen Showboat on his sire's side and Orcadia Park Sundance and JOPA Elation Power on his dam's side.

Personnally, I LIKE his head - easy calving - what do you want? a blocky head?? so he will look "masculine"? Not me!!! Feminine head is just fine for me.
Of course, with a frontal view - all heads look too big. You want to accent the rear quarters, so a pic should be taken from behind center point of animal.
He appears to be really long & well muscled. Appears to be sloped hooks to pin, and may be little pinched behing the shoulder. But nice bull.

He does have a horsehead. I too am becoming increasingly interested in the MGs. This particular specimen doesn't do much for me however. I like his thickness in the front, but his rear needs improvement. Could be the picture. Boone

Please don't misunderstand me I would use this bull regardless of his head, he is a fine bull. As I said, I select on performance, not looks. His head doesn't look as bad in the second pic so I'm inclinded to think the first pic exaggerated it a little. To me, although yes heads are one of the components of calving ease I also look at the general wedge shape of the animal, the shoulders and the actual birth weight of him and his calves. I do like to see bulls with masculine heads and females with feminine heads. A masculine head doesn't necessarily have to be a big head.

We have some Orcadia blood in our herd, the cows are terrific milkers and great broody cows.

gberry":10479xpb said:
Here are some pictures of our 4 year old Herd Sire. Any feedback is appreciated.

Very nice depth and length. I'm not sure on the spring of rib - he looks like he might be slightly pot-gutted, but that might just be me. I don't like his head - appears to be to horselike (for lack of a better word), his topline is adequate, but it could be better. Same thing with his butt, but that could be the picture. I think his flank could be a little better, too. Bottom line is, I would say he is ok - not steller, but ok.

thinking of getting a murray grey bull next time to cross with my braunvieh cows. has anybody tried this cross. how do you like murray grey to all that do or have used them

I'm not really familiar with Braunvieh. We have crossed him with black angus with what we think are good results.

Heres a go for all on the board Muray Greys are Charolais crossed with Angus anyway. Read this article in a news paper just the other day. I've heard these comments for years and years. Taking nothing away from the MG breed they are fairly good cattle in most areas apart from the rough coastal type country. Then Charolais don't do that well when the going gets tough nor do Angus. I cannot believe the history of the MG breed in the fact that they have mainatained their colour and breed type for all these years without the infusion of a solid breed say like Charolais or Angus.Maybe it is true and it was a frak of nature when those silver calves arrived in the upper Murray all those years ago. The MG breed has done a lot for the beef industry here in Australia and is growng overseas.

I thought the Murray Grey was the result of an Angus and Shorthorn cross. Am I misinformed? Boone

boone":1d6s8mnm said:
I thought the Murray Grey was the result of an Angus and Shorthorn cross. Am I misinformed? Boone

No, the history as I understand it was various aberdeen angus bulls crossed with one particular roan shorthorn cow over the years, and that she always had grey calves.

andybob":35frlm7v said:
Does Muuray Grey bred to Angus qualify as a cross? :D

I don't know. Is a beefmaster bred to a hereford or shorthorn a cross?

Australian Cattleman":weqayx62 said:
Heres a go for all on the board Muray Greys are Charolais crossed with Angus anyway. Read this article in a news paper just the other day. I've heard these comments for years and years. Taking nothing away from the MG breed they are fairly good cattle in most areas apart from the rough coastal type country. Then Charolais don't do that well when the going gets tough nor do Angus. I cannot believe the history of the MG breed in the fact that they have mainatained their colour and breed type for all these years without the infusion of a solid breed say like Charolais or Angus.Maybe it is true and it was a frak of nature when those silver calves arrived in the upper Murray all those years ago. The MG breed has done a lot for the beef industry here in Australia and is growng overseas.

Not sure how to respond to this (or if I should). Similar to conversations that have taken place on many threads in regards to angus and other breeds. I doubt that many CharolaisXAngus have the same carcass traits as Murray Greys.

Australian Cattleman":1bllwf75 said:
Heres a go for all on the board Muray Greys are Charolais crossed with Angus anyway.

Right, and I'm the Queen of England. :roll: :roll: The Murray Grey breed is a whole lot more than 'fairly good', too. The only thing lacking about the Murray Grey breed is the promotion of the breed. Not that I expect you to take my word for it - after all, we've only been raising them for 30+ years.

Latest posts